Warner's DVD2BLU program expands - now exchange any DVD for BD - Smart or Desperate? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Is the expansion of Warner's DVD2BLU program a positive or negative sign for Blu-ray?
Its good news for Blu-ray. Its smart targeted marketing that gets DVD owners to upgrade Blu-ray 12 63.16%
Its bad news for Blu-ray. Warner is desperate to move unsold inventory and is worried about sales 2 10.53%
It could be good or bad news. Warner is doing it both out of hope and out of fear. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Speaking of acting like a 4th grader . . .

But please . . . continue the personal attacks. And maybe - just maybe you will get yourself banned.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

And maybe you will too.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor77 View Post
Too bad it wasn't available in Canada.

Hey Gizmo...what edition of Wanted is that in your collection pic?
The Limited Edition version. I think it's OOP now as I havnt seen it in retail stores for a long time.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:15 PM

I get out all the time.

I enjoy life and movies and especially high definition ones off Blu-ray and DISH as well.

I also enjoy posting here when I'm online doing other things as part of my routine and I really enjoy talking about something that I enjoy. No big deal for me to post 10 posts a day when I have an open browser tab and very high speed connection and every week I have dozens and dozens of routine sales report updates as well that I've been doing for three years now.

I've been interested in home theater for a decade, I've been a huge movie fan forever, and you know I've been excited about high definition movies on optical media bring 1080p video to home theater and to consumers ever since the talk came up about HD DVD and Blu-ray. Since I share my passion for high definition movies with those that know me and I've posted about this stuff as a daily routine for years now, and I have professional and casual contacts that know more than I about this stuff I like to share. Plus I type fast, think fast , know what I'm talking about generally and I'm not shy so its its easy enough for me to pad my post counts during the day.

Plus I've been following the growth of HD DVD and Blu-ray since we first starting getting data and I'm amazed to follow the progress that we have both seen over the years. To me following this stuff is a great hobby like fantasy baseball or football now, and I'm always encouraged by the far number of people that lurk in the sales threads and others as well that post here.

I enjoy talking and following this stuff and also enjoy seeing the huge market progress that Blu-ray has seen over the years. I supported HD DVD for the same reasons and I'm certainly happy that Blu-ray has moved beyond hyper niche to a mass market mainstream product. The 4Q is always a nice time to see the significant growth trends emerge as well.

Whats your excuse in talking about Blu-ray again? At least I'm talking about something I like.

Last edited by Kosty; 10-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

Has anyone else noticed how cranky some of these 'anything but Blu" posters are this morning? Guess it's the time of the year that's causing that.

going to look through my collection of dvds and weed out some "not so watched" ones and trade them in.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel
So you create a new thread poll taking another article of his and misplaced hope that you and your merry band of blu-ray yes-men will somehow discredit him?
Err no. Thats what you tend to do.

I actually wanted to talk about what I see as a nicely executed very appropriate targeted marketing and promotional program from Warner that I also thought might also be of interest to people around here. I can see how you and him might jump to the erroneous conclusion that this kind of program might be a fire sale or sorts and I certainly would not mind you or anyone else discussing that point of view and explaining it further.

Of course, its not a coincidence that you and him would jump to conclusions about this program and also be in denial on the growth in the Rentrak/DEG statistics as both hasty conclusions are created from the own biases you seem to share.

You manage to create your own credibility over time and can discredit yourself over time without my help.

I also presented the issues from both sides and clearly stated my arguments in where I thought the logic failed and thats kinda what this discussion forum is all about.

I'm not the only one to notice the bias in both articles. Although I did not notice it was the same author at first until I saw his comment referencing the earlier story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Pullman
Finally, electronic sell-through is gaining momentum, even faster than video-on-demand. Customers like the idea of consuming entertainment at home through a high-speed broadband connection, feeding some sort of DVR or streaming in real time at lower resolution. They really donít care whether they have a physical copy of the movie on a disc, as long as they can get it off a server someplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
EST up 37% to $432 million.
VOD up 20% to $1.2 billion.
Blu-Ray up 80% to $1 billion in sales, plus rentals on top.

But yeah, "electronic sell-through is gaining momentum, even faster than video-on-demand."

His logic is so skewed, he really does remind me of a couple of people here. There is one thing he got spot on though - the title. And he's certainly spinning those EST numbers up and the Blu-Ray ones down

His follow-up piece - "HDTV Expert - Blu-ray: Those hotcakes must be getting cold" is equally blanaced and well thought out . I particularly liked "Earlier this week, I wrote about the latest Digital Entertainment Group report that showed digital distribution of content is zooming ahead of physical distribution."

Ray Von

Last edited by Kosty; 10-30-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
.... knowing about how rebate and consumer promotions work,
By now...who doesn't know how these things work.....
Quote:
I understand that the assumption that this is a desperate attempt to move unsold Blu-ray inventory instead of a targeted promotion is highly unlikely and says more about the authors assumptive biases and preconceptions than what is probably happening.
Kosty....THIS "firesale" promotion by Warners Home Video is exactly THAT.....a desperate attempt by Warners to unload excess inventory any way they can before dumping everything in landfills, i.e. you just can't have Blu ray's on the open market selling for $5 now ...can we.

ANYONE that has an ounce of business sense can see what's going on here. The fact you feel it's necessary to somehow try and change the REALITY of the situation with more Blu ray "spin" is yet another example of how desperate Blu ray has become in its' rather vain attempt at attracting new buyers.

Inceedently...I did peek but saw nothing worth even $5 for me.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
By now...who doesn't know how these things work.....
Kosty....THIS "firesale" promotion by Warners Home Video is exactly THAT.....a desperate attempt by Warners to unload excess inventory any way they can before dumping everything in landfills, i.e. you just can't have Blu ray's on the open market selling for $5 now ...can we.

ANYONE that has an ounce of business sense can see what's going on here. The fact you feel it's necessary to somehow try and change the REALITY of the situation with more Blu ray "spin" is yet another example of how desperate Blu ray has become in its' rather vain attempt at attracting new buyers.

Me not having any business sense????

How can it be a fire sale to dump inventory when Warner is planning to support a growing Blu-ray user base for many years, its limited to $5 x 25 discs per household, its only 100+ titles out of 3000+ Blu-ray releases and the total amount of discs moved is trivial for the entire program in the face of millions and millions of Blu-ray discs sold each week? Plus similar programs in RED2BLU and DVD2BLU have been going on now for years from Warner???
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
blah, blah, blah

Of course you didn't, since you already have the most desirable titles ever released already on your hard drives. I mean, hell, these are really some keepers there.

Quote:
The Big Chill, The Birds, It's a Mad,Mad World, Miller's Crossing, Moulin Rouge, Quigley Down Under, Medicine Man, Khartoum, Star Wars 1-6, Mary Poppins, Aliens, Alien Nation, Dances with Wolves, Witness, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Ghost & Darkness, Sleepless In Seattle, Rear Window, The Rocketeer, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Titanic, Flashdance, Beautiful Girls...
Can't believe you are missing Lava Girl and Shark Boy.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
or your over 3300 posts in the AVS forum on top of your over 2100 on HDD. Kinda obsessive dont you think?
At least Kosty posts about things he enjoys. 99% of Mike's posts are about how much he hates Blu-Ray and how <insert technology here> will suddenly kill off optical disc. The guy obviously spends quite a bit of time scouring the Internet looking for anything negative towards Blu-Ray (and now optical media).

I don't like chewing tobacco. I think it is disgusting. I don't spend hours and hours and thousands of posts on tobacco websites telling people how disgusting it is....