Warner's DVD2BLU program expands - now exchange any DVD for BD - Smart or Desperate? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Is the expansion of Warner's DVD2BLU program a positive or negative sign for Blu-ray?
Its good news for Blu-ray. Its smart targeted marketing that gets DVD owners to upgrade Blu-ray 12 63.16%
Its bad news for Blu-ray. Warner is desperate to move unsold inventory and is worried about sales 2 10.53%
It could be good or bad news. Warner is doing it both out of hope and out of fear. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
You know Kosty. You think anything negative said about Bluray is silly. It's not just a few guys on this forum that see the problems. If everything was as great as you think and say you wouldn't be seeing articles like this. I think your constant Bluray push is silly.

No I don't. But knowing about how rebate and consumer promotions work, I understand that the assumption that this is a desperate attempt to move unsold Blu-ray inventory instead of a targeted promotion is highly unlikely and says more about the authors assumptive biases and preconceptions than what is probably happening.

This is what he said. I had just noticed that he was the same guy that also mikemorel just cited as having a great take on the DEG statistics. He indeed seems to be a very Blu-ray skeptic who is a big advocate of downloads and streaming.

First here's the comment that shows he's a favorite author of mikemorel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post
Note that there were 350 words in those two blu-ray propaganda articles but not one hard piece of data. Blu-ray was up 67% - from what? How few blu-rays were sold that they have to hide the number?

Here is an article on the NA DEG press release from HDTV magazine, one of the few that grasp this concept, unlike the drones that parrot whatever spew comes from the BDA/DEG.

HDTV Expert - Itís all in the Way You Spin the Numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post
That is one dead-on true article I posted. Which is why you won't read it. It is kryptonite to blu-ray fanboys.

BTW,

Here is the selection from the article above that accurately captures his opinion on the DVD2BLU program expansion. It seems that its so "silly" that you did not even buy into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Putman on October 29, 2010 at HDTV Magazine
...from here, it seems like a desperate move by WB to thin out a backlog of BD titles that arenít moving. Earlier this week, I wrote about the latest Digital Entertainment Group report that showed digital distribution of content is zooming ahead of physical distribution. The report also mentioned that tens of millions of BDs have been shipped to retail. Apparently tens of millions of BDs are still sitting at retail, too.

The costs of administering such a mail-in program arenít cheap, either. All of the DVDs will have be disposed of, and there are the usual associated shipping and handling costs to deal with.

This move by WB is significant because they are one of the largest distributors of packaged media, along with Disney, who has yet to announce any type of redemption or discount program for their BD titles.
I think that this poll response is a fair summary of that point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poll option 2
Its bad news for Blu-ray. Warner is desperate to move unsold inventory and is worried about sales
Mr Pete Putman seems to be even more extreme than your point of view on the matter.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:58 AM

No I see that Bruce and myself are right down the middle on it. Might be bad. Might not. The author is giving you the otherside. I think he does think it's bad. It might be. Look who voted for it's good. I'm not suprised that it is the biggest Bluray supporters on the site. I don't buy everything you say because it is sooooo obvious how one sided you are. Your bias ruins your credibility IMO. When called on it you like to say you acknowledge Blurays failures. But your posts leave all that out and look more like a promotion of the format. I prefer to keep an open mind. Sometimes listening to you is like listening to a used car salesman.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 AM

This is a great program. I noticed it is starting in the 4th Qtr. I wonder if the advert will be packaged in the player boxes?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
This is a great program. I noticed it is starting in the 4th Qtr. I wonder if the advert will be packaged in the player boxes?
Quote:
The Program may be terminated by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc. at any time.
http://www.dvd2blu.com/terms.html
Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
hey, maybe you can trade in your and step up to
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by furriballs View Post
hey, maybe you can trade in your and step up to
Anyone offerring to take an LCD in trade for a PDP?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
No I see that Bruce and myself are right down the middle on it. Might be bad. Might not. The author is giving you the otherside. I think he does think it's bad. It might be. Look who voted for it's good. I'm not suprised that it is the biggest Bluray supporters on the site. I don't buy everything you say because it is sooooo obvious how one sided you are. Your bias ruins your credibility IMO. When called on it you like to say you acknowledge Blurays failures. But your posts leave all that out and look more like a promotion of the format. I prefer to keep an open mind. Sometimes listening to you is like listening to a used car salesman.
Funny you commenting on someones credibility...
Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Anyone offerring to take an LCD in trade for a PDP?
Is this all you have? seriously dude stop acting like a 4th grader. what are you going to do next? eat paste? you are really losing it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Funny you commenting on someones credibility...
apparently that's what he is here for.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by furriballs View Post
Is this all you have? seriously dude stop acting like a 4th grader. what are you going to do next? eat paste? you are really losing it.
Speaking of acting like a 4th grader . . .