High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   High Definition Smackdown (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown-6/)
-   -   Warner's DVD2BLU program expands - now exchange any DVD for BD - Smart or Desperate? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/110216-warners-dvd2blu-program-expands-now-exchange-any-dvd-bd-smart-desperate.html)

Kosty 10-30-2010 01:48 AM

Warner's DVD2BLU program expands - now exchange any DVD for BD - Smart or Desperate?

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/wp-content...0-28-10-MR.jpg

Warner has expanded its DVD2BLU exchange program.

http://www.dvd2blu.com/

Previously you were able to upgrade the matching DVD version and swap it for the matching DVD version. Now you can select up to 25 Blu-ray titles per household any exchange ANY manufactured DVD of any title from any studio to qualify.

Here's the question. Obviously my take is that this is a fantastically targeted promotional program from Warner that is perfectly targeted high involvement high collecting consumers and first adopters and encouraging them to switch to the more profitable Blu-ray format. It generates goodwill , just like the RED2BLU HD DVD disc to Blu-ray program has done and it extends the program to more active buying consumers.

In short , its a positive sign for Blu-ray, its smart targeted marketing and promotion by Warner, and its unlikely to move a lot of actual units at a cap of 25 units per household, but its a great attempt to encourage more consumers that were heavy DVD buyers to fully convert to Blu-ray in their buying habits.

But there is another take on the program. That is its a desperate attempt by Warner to unload excess Blu-ray inventory that has not sold and is a bad sign for Blu-ray.

As one put it " From here, it seems like a desperate move by WB to thin out a backlog of BD titles that aren’t moving."

Here's some information on it and a public poll. Smart Marketing Move or Desperate Way to move non selling inventory?

Quote:

Warner’s DVD2Blu Program Expands: Now Any DVD Qualifies

Posted October 28, 2010 04:46 AM by Juan Calonge

Warner Home Video has massively improved its DVD2Blu program, which previously allowed owners of Warner DVDs to trade them in for their Blu-ray upgrades for a reduced price. For a limited time, you can swap any DVD (not necessarily even from Warner) for a new WB Blu-ray for as low as $4.95 (or $14.95 for TV seasons), with free shipping on orders over $35.

Qualifying DVDs include any pre-recorded discs that contain professionally-produced content purchased at a regular retail or e-commerce store (excluding adult content). The DVDs can contain film, TV, sports, animation or documentary content and can be from Warner Bros. or non-Warner Bros. Blank or copied DVDs do not qualify.

Not that if you order a multi-disc set (such as a TV season), you only need to send in one DVD.

To upgrade, go to the DVD2Blu site and select the titles you're interested in. Once you complete the online order, you will receive an order confirmation e-mail with an attached pre-paid shipping label. Print out the label and attach it to an envelope with your DVDs inside (do not include the cases or artwork). Then mail the envelope to WB's processing center, which will check that the number of DVDs match the number of Blu-ray discs requested in your order and ship your new Blu-ray discs.

At the time of writing, 105 titles from the WB catalog are eligible for the DVD2Blu program:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5359

Code:

At the time of writing, 105 titles from the WB catalog are eligible for the DVD2Blu program:

Upgrade price $4.95
2001: A Space Odyssey
Above the Law
Alexander Revisited: (Unrated) The Final Cut
American History X
An American in Paris
Any Given Sunday
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Aviator
Battle of the Bulge
Beerfest
Beetlejuice
Blazing Saddles
Blood Diamond
Blow
The Brave One
The Bucket List
Bullitt
A Clockwork Orange
Collateral Damage
Constantine
Corpse Bride
The Cowboys
Dark City: Director's Cut
Deliverance
The Dirty Dozen
Dumb and Dumber
Eraser
Eyes Wide Shut
Final Destination
Firewall
The Fountain
Freddy vs. Jason
The Fugitive
Get Smart
Gods and Generals
Gran Torino
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
A History of Violence
John Q
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Last Samurai
The Lost Boys
The Mask
Michael Clayton
Music and Lyrics
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Ocean's Eleven
The Perfect Storm
Pride and Glory
The Reaping
Rio Bravo
Risky Business Deluxe
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Rumor Has It
A Scanner Darkly
The Searchers
Shining, The
Shoot 'Em Up
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Swordfish
Syriana
Taking Lives
Tango & Cash
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Training Day
Troy
True Romance
Under Siege
Under Siege 2: Dark Territory
V for Vendetta
Wedding Crashers
The Wedding Singer
The Wild Bunch
Wyatt Earp

Upgrade price $6.95
10,000 BC
Body of Lies
Christmas Story, A
Elf
Full Metal Jacket: Deluxe Edition
Golden Compass, The
L.A. Confidential
Million Dollar Baby
Ocean's Thirteen
Orphanage, The
Pan's Labyrinth
Rush Hour 3
Speed Racer
Superman Returns
The Departed
We Are Marshall

Upgrade price $14.95
Chuck: The Complete First Season
Nip/Tuck: The Complete Fourth Season
Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season
Pushing Daisies: The Complete Second Season
Smallville: The Complete Sixth Season
Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season
Supernatural: The Complete Third Season
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Complete First Season
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Complete Second Season

Upgrade price $19.95
Chuck: The Complete Second Season
Fringe: The Complete First Season
Smallville: The Complete Eighth Season
Supernatural: The Complete First Season
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
Thanks to forum member "HollandX."

http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html

Quote:

Blu-ray Upgrade Program FAQs

Q: Can I really swap any DVD for a new Blu-ray disc?
A: Yes, qualifying DVDs include any pre-recorded discs that contain professionally produced content purchased at a regular retail or e-commerce store (excluding adult content). The DVDs can contain film, TV, sports, animation or documentary content and can be from Warner Bros. or non-Warner Bros. Blank or copied DVDs do not qualify.
Q: Does it have to be a movie DVD?
A: No, also qualifying are DVDs containing TV, sports, animation or documentary content.
Q: Can I send in blank or copied DVDs?
A: No, they do not qualify.
Q: How about foreign DVDs?
A: Yes, as long as they contain professionally produced content (excluding adult content).
Q: How many DVDs may be swapped?
A: You may exchange up to 25 different DVDs per household. Also, there is a limit of 1 copy per movie.
Q: After I complete the online order, what's next?
A: You will receive an order confirmation e-mail with an attached pre-paid shipping label. Print out the label and attach it to an envelope with your DVDs inside. Then mail the envelope to our processing center. We will check that the number of DVDs match the number of Blu-ray discs requested in your order and ship your new Blu-ray discs.
Q: Should I also send my DVD cases?
A: No, please only send the discs by themselves with no cases or artwork.
Q: For television seasons, do I have to send in more than one disc?
A: No. You only have to send 1 DVD to receive the entire television season in Blu-ray. The DVD you send does not have to be from a TV show.
Q: Can you give an example?
A: Let’s assume you would like to receive six (6) movies and two (2) TV seasons on Blu-ray (so eight items in total). To receive these eight titles, you now need to send eight qualifying DVDs (without case) to our processing center.
Q: How long will it take to process my order?
A: It usually takes 3-4 weeks to complete the entire transaction.
Q: How much is shipping and handling?
A: Flat fee shipping and handling is $4.95 on your entire order shipped within the Continental US. The fee is $6.95 in Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.
Q: Can I mail the DVD without the prepaid label?
A: The prepaid label is essential for processing your order because it includes an identifying barcode. You can mail the DVD without the label. However, if you choose to not use the label, please include it inside your envelope and send to:

ATTN:Returns
1101 Highview Drive
Webberville, MI 48892
Q: I can't find my prepaid label. Did you send it to me?
A: The prepaid label is sent from our fulfillment center as an attachment to an email. It is possible that instead of going to your inbox, it was routed to your spam filter. Please check your spam filter for the email containing your label. The email will be coming from the domain DVD2Blu.com.
Q: Are all of Warner Bros. Blu-ray titles included in the DVD2Blu program?
A: No, the DVD2Blu promotion is limited to the titles shown on DVD2Blu.com. We do not currently have any plans to modify the list of eligible titles. However, we reserve the right to do so.
Q: Are Canadian or international customers eligible for the DVD2Blu Program?
A: Unfortunately, at this time the program only ships to the Continental US, Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.
Q: Have you received my DVDs?
A: We will send you an e-mail once we’ve checked your DVDs into our processing facility. Your prepaid postage label includes delivery tracking. The tracking number is located below the dotted line in the box labeled "Online e-Label Record." Please visit: . http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackan...rackandconfirm.
Q: What is the status of my order?
A: Your prepaid postage label includes delivery tracking (see above). We will also send you an email when your new Blu-ray discs ship. You will be able to track the Blu-ray discs through the UPS or USPS tracking system.
Q: How are the Blu-ray discs packaged?
A: The Blu-ray discs are the same ones found in any retail store. They come complete with the typical case, cover art, bonus materials, etc.
Q: How can I get more information about the Blu-ray movies on DVD2Blu.com?
A: Visit WBshop.com<http://www.wbshop.com> for more details about Warner Bros. Blu-ray movies. Usually, Blu-ray and DVD have the same Main Feature content. In some cases, Special Features may differ.
Q: Is DVD2Blu.com a stand-alone company?
A: DVD2Blu is brought to you by WBshop.com, the Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios.

My take and Grubert's take and the Warner description are above.

Here's the other side of the argument.

Quote:

HDTV Expert - Blu-ray: Those hotcakes must be getting cold

by Pete Putman on October 29, 2010 Categories: Blu-ray, Cable HDTV, Marketplace

Warner Brothers Entertainment recently expanded its DVD2Blu promotion to include any DVD of any movie or TV program – not just DVD releases of Warner titles.

For those readers who are not familiar with the program, DVD2Blu allowed anyone to trade in older WB movie titles on DVD and get a credit towards the purchase of a new Blu-ray version. The upgraded BD would cost about $8, including shipping.

Now, WB has expanded their program and will accept any professionally-produced DVD – movies, TV shows, sports, etc – towards the purchase of a WB Blu-ray movie or WB Television collection, with prices starting as low as $4.95. According to the ad, which is shown below and can be accessed at http://www.dvd2blu.com/ there are over 100 BD titles to choose from. Order more than $35 worth, and WB will throw in free shipping.

For Blu-ray fans, this is quite a promotion. You can send in DVDs you picked up at discount bins, discarded from libraries, or were given for Christmas presents. All you have to do is mail in the disc (not the packaging) and pay the discounted price, plus shipping (except where noted) to get new BDs for your collection.

From here, it seems like a desperate move by WB to thin out a backlog of BD titles that aren’t moving. Earlier this week, I wrote about the latest Digital Entertainment Group report that showed digital distribution of content is zooming ahead of physical distribution. The report also mentioned that tens of millions of BDs have been shipped to retail. Apparently tens of millions of BDs are still sitting at retail, too.

The costs of administering such a mail-in program aren’t cheap, either. All of the DVDs will have be disposed of, and there are the usual associated shipping and handling costs to deal with.

This move by WB is significant because they are one of the largest distributors of packaged media, along with Disney, who has yet to announce any type of redemption or discount program for their BD titles.

I recall a conversation with a Disney executive a few years back at the HPA Technology Retreat. His comment cut to the chase: “If the industry wants Blu-ray to be successful, they should just stop pressing regular DVDs and make Blu-ray the only optical disc format. That would do the trick!”

Of course, at the time, BD players were in the neighborhood of $500 – $700 dollars and largely ignored by the general public, who gravitated towards cheaper upscaling DVD players instead.

Times have changed. Nowadays, BD players can be had for as little as $80, and even 3D models are plummeting in price – at least one is selling for less than $200, and a couple more are approaching that price point.

Given the slow but steady decline in overall sales of packaged media (DVD, BD, and the few VHS tapes that are still in circulation) – down 8% this year over last – it’s time for Hollywood to ’sink or swim’ by committing to the BD format and start making plans for the sunset of RL DVDs. Even Netflix has announced it will exit the DVD distribution business in the next five years and concentrate on its ‘bread-and-butter’ streaming offerings.

Wonder when the next round of BD fire sales will start?

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/columns/...tting-cold.php

GizmoDVD 10-30-2010 02:00 AM

Needs newer titles. I either have all those or have no interest in them. Where are the two newest National Lampoons? Or Neverending Story? Great deal though if you are new to Blu-ray.

Kosty 10-30-2010 02:01 AM

Here is the other program:

http://red2blu.com/

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wp6r1f.jpg

Rayzor77 10-30-2010 02:02 AM

Too bad it wasn't available in Canada.

Hey Gizmo...what edition of Wanted is that in your collection pic?

Kosty 10-30-2010 02:05 AM

I think the idea that its a desperation move for Warner to move unsold inventory is quite silly.

Programs like this may get 50,000 to 100,000 or far less active participants and most will not do the 25 units per household maximum. Even at 100,000 participants at 10 units each thats only a million units total or about a few days or so of a Blu-ray replication line and none of these titles are going out of print. Its hardly going to make a dent in any inventory and its a limited selection of titles. Besides even if its incremental income of $4.95 to $6.95 thats straight to Warner not retail and is basically at wholesale cost for $10 MSRP titles. Its obviously a promotion not inventory liquidation.

Plus active Blu-ray inventory can be sold for many years in the future so the idea that its fire sale is a stretch.

Plus its only an expansion of the previous RED2BLU and DVD2BLU programs in any case.

Elee s 10-30-2010 02:07 AM

http://images2.memegenerator.net/Cou...-streaming.jpg
(not sure if courage wolf was the right meme)

Kosty 10-30-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 2044293)
Needs newer titles. I either have all those or have no interest in them. Where are the two newest National Lampoons? Or Neverending Story? Great deal though if you are new to Blu-ray.

Thats exactly the point. For most of us that already are well into Blu-ray collecting, its a modest thing for us, and it does not cost much for Warner to support it as we already own most of those older titles or had a chance to buy them before.

But if you are new to Blu-ray collecting, and especially if you consider that you are a avid DVD collector and have at least 25 DVD lying around, its a great deal that you can feel goos about and brag about to others and become evangelical about. Thats the brilliance of it. Its perfectly targeted to high collectors that are not already well into Blu-ray collecting or if they are its seen as a great deal to commit more into buying more and more Blu-ray over time and telling others about it.

Kosty 10-30-2010 02:18 AM

BTW, since these Blu-ray titles are sold through the Warner store and are not free or just for shipping and handling, since they are being sold for $4.95 each, they probably do qualify as active Blu-ray units sold and revenues generated as Warner online is a Nielsen Videoscan reporting retailer. ( so its a kinda a "scam" in that meme as any other $5 sale or heavily discounted offer of a Blu-ray disc would ever be.)

Mike171979 10-30-2010 03:41 AM

This is a great way for me to get rid of some $1 DVDs I bought years ago that are just sitting in my closet.

Wait til WB gets my 8 DVDs in the mail, LOL, they'll probably be the crappiest DVDs they'll get.

Malanthius 10-30-2010 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosty (Post 2044299)
I think the idea that its a desperation move for Warner to move unsold inventory is quite silly.

Programs like this may get 50,000 to 100,000 or far less active participants and most will not do the 25 units per household maximum. Even at 100,000 participants at 10 units each thats only a million units total or about a few days or so of a Blu-ray replication line and none of these titles are going out of print. Its hardly going to make a dent in any inventory and its a limited selection of titles. Besides even if its incremental income of $4.95 to $6.95 thats straight to Warner not retail and is basically at wholesale cost for $10 MSRP titles. Its obviously a promotion not inventory liquidation.

Plus active Blu-ray inventory can be sold for many years in the future so the idea that its fire sale is a stretch.

Plus its only an expansion of the previous RED2BLU and DVD2BLU programs in any case.

You know Kosty. You think anything negative said about Bluray is silly. It's not just a few guys on this forum that see the problems. If everything was as great as you think and say you wouldn't be seeing articles like this. I think your constant Bluray push is silly.