Suggestion to close smackdown and archive it with reference to Kosty (in memory of). - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Would you like to see smackdown closed, archived, and dedicated to Kosty?
Yes 51 77.27%
No 14 21.21%
No Comment 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Dedicate this subforum to Kosty? Definitely. I think he would have been uncomfortable with that, but circumstances would dictate that we need some sort of memorial dedicated to him, and he would understand.
I know he would not be ok with closing the site down. Even if there is no debate right now, there will be in the future, and at the very least, an exchange of ideas and information, which might not be accepted elsewhere.
If this site closed down because of little traffic and no revenue, then that is a different story. Once again, I know that Dan would not have wanted to be the reason for Smackdown closing, his magnitude of posts in Smackdown clearly shows his passion and knowledge and that needs to be continued in his memory.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
Since smackdown has bascially grinded down to a halt without kosty, I would like to encourage the administrators to leave close/archive at the bottom of the main page with reference to Kosty as a dedication.

Thanks.
Here here!!! RIP Kosty...
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM

How about after the New Year. This is about when Blu-ray will hit its peak in sales revenue for its entire life. We need to bash Blu-ray one more time. LOL.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Former Member

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon on the subject of this thread, but did find a message on HDF from his sister that was shared:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message from Daria, Kosty's sister
Dear High Def Forum,

Thank you all your prayers and condolences for my brother Dan, who you knew as “Kosty”. He was certainly one of a kind! As many of you have stated, he was a very private person, and he was very adept at compartmentalizing his different parts of his life. My family had no idea of his online life.

Because many of you asked, I wanted to share what happened. In early August, he entered the hospital where he was diagnosed with lymphoma. Soon afterwards, he was placed on a ventilator, and then his course was complicated by a major stroke. This all happened very suddenly and fast.

Thank you again with all of the kind words you wrote on this thread, and on his online obituary guest book.

Sincerely, Kosty’s sister
Ran into posts of his anticipating making graphs for the upcoming Friends release off a google search where I was researching the Friends HD Broadcasts for some reason (ahem). Kinda sad, that. But when BD botches (ahem NOTLD90), this is a great area to call out studios for their failures. I'd love to see a subforum dedicated to Kosty, dude was a class act.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM

The poll results in this thread speak overwhelmingly as to the general opinion held by the users of this subforum. Also, the considerably SMALL number of votes in the only active thread in this subforum (only 30 votes in over a week) seem to show that this area of the forum is relatively unused anyway
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 AM

I was Blue through-and-through (PS3's from the start, now supplemented by a collection of Oppo players). SO I was reading Smackdown regularly to follow the progress of the war and then the initial aftermath. A few years after the war ended I finally went purple - buying a very nice Toshiba HD DVD player on the cheap - both to play HD DVD exclusives and to buy various HD DVD's at a bargain.

Since then, I still come to check out this forum - but not to gloat or rehash old arguments anymore. Instead, these days, I look to the Smackdown forum as sort of a "general news" or "generally trending" forum. I don't want to take the time to go look at the hardware forums, and the digital download forums, and the 3D forums, etc. for news that covers any/all of the these areas. For example - one current interest of mine right now is 3D. (Personally - I hope 3D dies. Arguments for/against may make good smackdown-topics. And have.)

I'm also interested in on-going home theater advances - what's next for the mainstream? On the video side? Ultra HD/4K tv's at a more reasonable price in a few years? Richer color spectrums from OLED or other technologies? Are OLED TVs ever going to be mainstream? In the 60-inch range? And how about the audio side? Is Dolby Atmos completely crazy to add so many speakers? How the heck are the speaker requirements for Dolby Atmos going to be adopted into a home theater? I have enough trouble finding room for all my 7.1 speakers... And if Dolby Atmos isn't going to be the next big step in home theater audio after our current crop of lossless 7.1 formats, then what is?

My point is - I'm all for archiving this Smackdown forum, closing the door, and dedicating its memory of informed, interactive, sometimes spirited discussions to Kosty. What I would also like to see is a new forum. A general purpose, news-related, open-to-any-topic forum, but one a bit more civil than Smackdown. Smackdown was usually civil but sometimes verged off into the occasional name-calling/grandstanding - (too often I thought, even in recent years).

Kosty will be missed. I never met him - only read his comments. I can only imagine that although he wouldn't want to be the reason the Smackdown forum closed (given his obvious interest and support in the forum), he would probably be supportive of a new, more civil forum - allowing for an open exchange of information without the playground behavior/trolling (to whatever extent that is possible on a public internet forum)....

That's my 2-cents. Thanks for listening if you made it this far...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 AM

I think this forum should be closed, but just for the reason that there is little to no activity here, and no hope of growth further down the road. Proof is right here in the number of voters who don't want to come here and want smackdown closed. If dedication honors go to Kosty, that would be superb, but in visiting this forum once a month, I think I am the biggest contributor!!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I think this forum should be closed, but just for the reason that there is little to no activity here, and no hope of growth further down the road. Proof is right here in the number of voters who don't want to come here and want smackdown closed. If dedication honors go to Kosty, that would be superb, but in visiting this forum once a month, I think I am the biggest contributor!!
The forum probably should have been closed within about 12 months of HD DVD being killed off. Let's face it, there is not much to really "smackdown" anymore. Blu-Ray won is looking to be a 10-15 year format.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM

I agree that if Smackdown was still about Blu-ray vs. HD DVD, then it should have been closed down. But it's not, and now it's called "High Definition Smackddown". Been that way for nearly 5 years now. So if anyone still thinks that HD means only Blu-ray and nothing else, than I don't know what to say. Streaming, cable/sat/OTA and digital downlands and UV all offer HD as well and for the most part, compete directly with Blu-ray for the consumer dollar. Obviously Blu-ray offers the best quality, but for the average consumer, usually convenience is more important. And the lions share of the consumer dollar that studios depend on, will come from the "average consumer" (which I would roughly define as lying within the 15% to 65% adoption curve).

That's why Blu-ray adoption has not exploded like many people had hoped it would. Compared to DVD, it's actually a step backwards in convenience, taking longer for the disc to load, lacking a resume feature in many titles, as well as sometimes requiring a firmware update for the darn disc to play. It's just more of a hassle and then you have the higher price to go along with it.

As a result, Blu-ray growth has slowed to a crawl, earning less than 10 percent growth for the full year 2012 (per the latest DEG report). TV on Blu-ray is relatively non existent, and DVD still releases over 5 times as much content overall (nearly 10 times as much TV on DVD). Face it, consumers are happy with upscaled DVD and now streaming and EST/UV are the new high growth formats.

Streaming revenue in 2012 was almost as much as BLu-ray, and in 2013 will surely be higher. EST grew by nearly 35% to $811 million (it's over 1/3 as much as Blu-ray in sell through revenue now). Heck, even VOD grew by more than Blu-ray did.

Blu-ray OD market share is still under 30%, which is less than 4% higher than it was a year ago. After 6 1/2 years, that small a market share and market share growth surely means Blu-ray is destined to be just a supplementary format to DVD, rather than a replacement. Even release rate growth on Blu-ray has slowed down to near zero. According to the DVD Release Report, with one week to go, Blu-ray has actually released fewer SKUs in 2012 than in 2011.

There are many ways to obtain HD in the home other than Blu-ray, and using "high definition smackdown" is the theme, with growth (YoY gain/loss) and magnitude (revenue) as yardsticks for the various competing ways of obtaining HD, there is PLENTY of "smackdown" left to be said, and always will be. Kosty would have been flattered, but he would not have wanted smackdown to be closed. Home entertainment HD media performance was very interesting to Kosty, to the point of being a hobby, but he wasn't the only one interested in it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I agree that if Smackdown was still about Blu-ray vs. HD DVD, then it should have been closed down. But it's not, and now it's called "High Definition Smackddown". Been that way for nearly 5 years now. So if anyone still thinks that HD means only Blu-ray and nothing else, than I don't know what to say. Streaming, cable/sat/OTA and digital downlands and UV all offer HD as well and for the most part, compete directly with Blu-ray for the consumer dollar. Obviously Blu-ray offers the best quality, but for the average consumer, usually convenience is more important. And the lions share of the consumer dollar that studios depend on, will come from the "average consumer" (which I would roughly define as lying within the 15% to 65% adoption curve).

That's why Blu-ray adoption has not exploded like many people had hoped it would. Compared to DVD, it's actually a step backwards in convenience, taking longer for the disc to load, lacking a resume feature in many titles, as well as sometimes requiring a firmware update for the darn disc to play. It's just more of a hassle and then you have the higher price to go along with it.

As a result, Blu-ray growth has slowed to a crawl, earning less than 10 percent growth for the full year 2012 (per the latest DEG report). TV on Blu-ray is relatively non existent, and DVD still releases over 5 times as much content overall (nearly 10 times as much TV on DVD). Face it, consumers are happy with upscaled DVD and now streaming and EST/UV are the new high growth formats.

Streaming revenue in 2012 was almost as much as BLu-ray, and in 2013 will surely be higher. EST grew by nearly 35% to $811 million (it's over 1/3 as much as Blu-ray in sell through revenue now). Heck, even VOD grew by more than Blu-ray did.

Blu-ray OD market share is still under 30%, which is less than 4% higher than it was a year ago. After 6 1/2 years, that small a market share and market share growth surely means Blu-ray is destined to be just a supplementary format to DVD, rather than a replacement. Even release rate growth on Blu-ray has slowed down to near zero. According to the DVD Release Report, with one week to go, Blu-ray has actually released fewer SKUs in 2012 than in 2011.

There are many ways to obtain HD in the home other than Blu-ray, and using "high definition smackdown" is the theme, with growth (YoY gain/loss) and magnitude (revenue) as yardsticks for the various competing ways of obtaining HD, there is PLENTY of "smackdown" left to be said, and always will be. Kosty would have been flattered, but he would not have wanted smackdown to be closed. Home entertainment HD media performance was very interesting to Kosty, to the point of being a hobby, but he wasn't the only one interested in it.
Great so kindly give me the revenue numbers for Blu-Ray vs the other hd mediums? How much money did HD VOD bring in last year? HD EST? HD streaming? HD disc rentals?

Face it, the fight is gone. That is why Smackdown has been vacant. We were left with a handful of people making the same arguments over and over again... Pretty much the definition of insanity right here by the same people. I got caught up in it, so I understand. It is pointless banter and most of the arguments were already made and there is not much more to add.

The bottomline is that better picture and audio quality was never going to be enough to replace standard definition at lower prices whether it comes in a red case, a blue case, is streamed over the internet, played back via cable/sat, or downloaded to a thumb drive. Why do you think Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, etc still offer the vast majority of their channels in SD still? Because they know that while some people care about quality, most people don't if it means paying more money.