NPD: 3D HDTV units up +74% 1Q YoY ( 22% of 40"+ sold were 3D HDTV) content not driver - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM

GG won't be a blockbuster, but that's a given of any Baz film- probably the same with Life of Pi. Hugo and Tintin weren't big successes either, but they succeeded in terms of showing how to make a 3D film, just not how to market one.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 AM

And now... GI Joe 2 is being delayed for post conversion, giving 3D 2 black eyes... Paramount blew whatever marketing momentum they had going into June 2012, and everyone's going to be skeptical of a film that now looks it has been delayed for a cash grab... And probably isn't very good.

And yes, I know the original GI Joe film was average, but people were looking forward to the sequel, including me... Now it's probably dead.

Paramount's 1st quarter in 2013 is going to be a disaster... First the delayed Hanzel and Gretle: Witch Hunters in January and GI Joe Retaliation (Both delayed for 3D post-conversion)

fitprod
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
And now... GI Joe 2 is being delayed for post conversion, giving 3D 2 black eyes... Paramount blew whatever marketing momentum they had going into June 2012, and everyone's going to be skeptical of a film that now looks it has been delayed for a cash grab... And probably isn't very good.

And yes, I know the original GI Joe film was average, but people were looking forward to the sequel, including me... Now it's probably dead.

Paramount's 1st quarter in 2013 is going to be a disaster... First the delayed Hanzel and Gretle: Witch Hunters in January and GI Joe Retaliation (Both delayed for 3D post-conversion)

fitprod
Battleship's results going against The Avengers is probably a factor.

They did not want GI Joe 2 to go against Amazing Spiderman now and the 3D conversion delay also helps it release next year against lessor competition.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 AM

This is proof that 3D is a lucrative format. You have the Oscar contenders like Hugo, then you have the more obnoxious cash grabs like GI Joe. Both benefit from 3D in their own way.

Imdb says Hansel and Gretel is native 3D. I've heard nothing about the movie being delayed for a conversion.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 AM

http://m.deadline.com/2012/01/paramo...wo-other-pics/

"this should really set up the international"

They delayed it to let Jeremy Renner get bigger.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Finding Nemo 3D was just announced for fall release in theaters. Sept 14, 2012.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
http://m.deadline.com/2012/01/paramo...wo-other-pics/

"this should really set up the international"

They delayed it to let Jeremy Renner get bigger.
For some reason I thought it was delayed for a conversion, maybe it all the effects, but not likely... - It's an action/horror/comedy, produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McCay and directed by the guy that did Dead Snow. (I've heard decent things about Dead Snow, as an odd horror film... But Zombie Nazi aren't my thing.)

As for letting Jeremy Renner "get bigger" that's studio double speak that "It's not a good film." (You don't push a film 10 months without there being problems with the film... As most are now suspecting with GI Joe, since the latest test screenings have not been doing well.)

When John Chu was announced as the director for GI Joe 2, everyone went "WTF?" (Aside from an actual sequel even being made.) - The marketing was good, which gave people hope, but the delay is going to kill any domestic prospect for the film. - People know when something stinks, as Battleship has proven. (No doubt that has something to do with the delay...) - There's no way a 9 month delay will help GI Joe 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see it released internationally a month early as Universal did with Battleship, in order to avoid the poor early response they knew they were going to get in the US.

Besides, you know Paramount must be somewhat delusional when they're pointing to Titanic as a valid reason to post convert GI Joe 2. This is really going to look bad after they dump another 45-50 million into the film for the post-conversion and re-marketing of the film. (And let's not talk about how much Hasbro will probably eat in merchandise returns...)

fitprod
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60339

Quote:
There's a lot of speculation out there right now as to why G.I.Joe: Retaliation was pushed back nearly a year. While Paramount execs are touting the financial boost of 3D, some film critics are insinuating that the move may have ulterior motives. Regardless, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has confirmed that they will actually be shooting new scenes for 3D rather than opting for a simple post film, 3D conversion. Also, there are reports that Paramount is using the additional time to actively pursue Joseph Gordon-Levitt to return as Cobra Commander. With The Dark Knight Rises and Looper set to release later this year, JGL's profile will surely be front and center to the movie-going populace.
Twitter: Dwayne Johnson ‏@TheRock
Quote:
It will be. Designing new scenes to enhance 3D. RT: @JimmyinGA: Was looking forward to GI Joe next month. Hope the 3D is worth the wait.
And why isn't Titanic a valid reason to postconvert? Or Avengers? I'd say if all you care about is money, then postconvert away.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
And why isn't Titanic a valid reason to postconvert? Or Avengers? I'd say if all you care about is money, then postconvert away.
Titanic's success is a misnomer as a reason to convert anything... Titanic is one of those rare flims that, for some odd reason, everyone wants to see. It hasn't been a theater for nearly 15 years, and was generally liked. Contrast that with The Phantom Menace 3D rerelease, which for all intents and purposes pretty much failed.

This isn't an issue with the 3D conversion process, it's an issue with the actual quality of the films.

The fact that they're going back to do re-shoots for GI Joe 2 this late in the game, 3D or not, is a telling sign of how bad the flim is now testing. Again, this is dumping money into a project where the studio should just cut their losses.

fitprod
Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

The context of the reference to Titanic was more likely in regards to its visual quality- it's the high water mark for conversions and shows what you can do when you take the time. Avengers is an example of a first-run release that broke records, and the difference maker was the 3D premiums. Ask most people and they'll tell you that they doubt Dark Knight will beat Avengers, solely because it's 2D only.