If Star Trek Fanatis purchased star trek? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samlives View Post
I think blu-ray fans are underestimating Star trek fantactics who regardless of wether owning an hd dvd player or not , they will buy this to complete there star trek collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappynutz View Post
I guess you could call me a hard-core trekkie, if only because I have all episodes of the Original Series, Animated Series, Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, as well as all the even-numbered ST movies (except for Nemesis) on DVD[...]As for buying the re-mastered, re-imagined TOS on DVD/HD-DVD? No way in hell. I already have the original, untouched episodes on DVD, and seriously doubt the upgrade in visual quality for such an old show is worth it.
Looks like I was right...
Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
Looks like I was right...
Because you have one person that agrees with you?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljmi View Post
Because you have one person that agrees with you?
Uh, no, but nice try at appearing concerned. It's because his statements back up the sentiments I have heard and seen repeated about a gazillion times, which I posted above. By all means, let me know when the Star Trek set has broken into the top 1000 on Amazon or you find some hotbed of Star Trek fandom where everyone is screaming in all caps how much they want it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM

I'm actually looking forward to the Star Trek set. I don't really believe this new set is gonna sell that many copies. It's WAY too much for most people. I used to love the original show, so I'll be getting this for sure the day it comes out.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
This wasn't filmed in HD, but neither are most motion pictures, they're filmed on film. With this, they went back to the original source and mastered it in High-def and during the remastering process where they cleaned the source. Then on top of that again, they made new effects for all the exteriors in HD and they redid most (if not all) the special effects in HD. On top of that, it's only available as a combo, there is no SD option. The aging boomer (like my Dad) who watches the original shows would love to see him again, but I've been telling him no to buy it because he doesn't have a HDTV, but I think he'll end up doing it anyways.
That is only partially true. You are right that most cameras use analog film, but most tv shows were filmed with lower quality cameras than movies. Just look at the quality of ST:TNG today; its absolutely horrid, even on DVD.

I own all 4 seasons of Enterprise on DVD, and in the commentary, the producers said they filmed Enterprise in high-def digital camera and will release the series in high-def at a later date.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm looking forward to the HD-DVD Star Trek set also. But if I already owned the DVD set, I might not be so excited about the new version.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Enterprise is total dog-sh*t. sorry, but it is/was.
DS9 was cool
Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM

The only reason I'm considering buying this series is because I don't already have the DVD sets. I imagine the majority of those who have the DVD sets already (e.g. hardcore Trekkies) will not bother with a "tainted" HD version.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Enterprise was only really forgettable (i.e. the equivalent of Voyager) its first 2 years. The last 2 years were pretty good and comparable to other good Star Trek shows but by then people had already jumped ship.

I like Deep Space 9 too and in my opinion is the only star trek series that stands the test of time and was a forerunner of the heavily serialized, continous hit shows of today.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samlives View Post
Hd dvd would have the highest disk count sold , and i know this cause there are over 2 million Star trek fans and they are insane , i mean at the convention i went to , they were going crazying buy everything star trek....

I think blu-ray fans are underestimating Star trek fantactics who regardless of wether owning an hd dvd player or not , they will buy this to complete there star trek collection.

Just like how they buy those 200 sideshow figures or 500 phazer guns ......

i get the feelign star trek is gonna sell super high

And since the HD DVD combo is the only way to get this i expect at least over 500, 000 disk sold or anywhere to 1 million disk sold on day one of release.

And it doesn't matter if people are buying them for dvd or hd dvd , a sale will be a sale
If this set sells over 20,000 units I will be VERY impressed.

It's a TV show. It's really old (abeit a classic). The upgrading is relatively minor. Star Trek fans can be crazy but they don't all have money to burn. They probably have fast internet connections though..

PS: Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,723 in DVD (3 weeks to go).