High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   High Definition Smackdown (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown-6/)
-   -   HD DVD's demise is far, far worse than Betamax's (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/43550-hd-dvds-demise-far-far-worse-than-betamaxs.html)

The Round Peg 02-16-2008 06:37 PM

HD DVD's demise is far, far worse than Betamax's

After Betamax lost the format war to VHS, VHS became the home video format. However, outside the the home video market, the broadcasting industry used Betamax as the industry standard format, and Sony continued to produce and sell Betamax to the broadcasting industry. In the end, Betamax actually outlived VHS. As DVD replaced VHS, the broadcasting industry actually continued to use Betamax, and Sony earned back its investment on Betamax from the broadcasting industry.

In the case of HD DVD, it's a completely different ending. HD DVD is completely DEAD. According to The Hollywood Reporter and Japan Broadcast Corporation (NHK), Toshiba will basically just bail and pull out of HD DVD production. Which means when that point onward, there will be no more HD DVD being made or sold. There will be no place for HD DVD to exist -- not the home video industry, nor the broadcasting industry, not even the PC industry.

It's a complete and utter defeat for HD DVD. Toshiba is completely humilated and defeated. Given their "Samurai" way, I wonder if any Japanese Toshiba exec is gonna commit suicide.

Microsoft is more or less a strong backer of HD DVD until very recently. This is the second time Sony has defeated Microsoft. (The first time was PS2 which defeated the original Xbox in marketplace.) It seems like Sony is shaping up to be Microsoft's nemesis. And now it seems like the PS3 will ultimately overtake Xbox 360 in sales (this year) and market shares (by 2010 or 2011). If that happen, then three times. Three times Sony will have defeated Microsoft.

Merrick97 02-16-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Round Peg (Post 764546)
After Betamax lost the format war to VHS, VHS became the home video format. However, outside the the home video market, the broadcasting industry used Betamax as the industry standard format, and Sony continued to produce and sell Betamax to the broadcasting industry. In the end, Betamax actually outlived VHS. As DVD replaced VHS, the broadcasting industry actually continued to use Betamax, and Sony earned back its investment on Betamax from the broadcasting industry.

In the case of HD DVD, it's a completely different ending. HD DVD is completely DEAD. According to The Hollywood Reporter and Japan Broadcast Corporation (NHK), Toshiba will basically just bail and pull out of HD DVD production. Which means when that point onward, there will be no more HD DVD being made or sold. There will be no place for HD DVD to exist -- not the home video industry, nor the broadcasting industry, not even the PC industry.

It's a complete and utter defeat for HD DVD. Toshiba is completely humilated and defeated. Given their "Samurai" way, I wonder if any Japanese Toshiba exec is gonna commit suicide.

Microsoft is more or less a strong backer of HD DVD until very recently. This is the second time Sony has defeated Microsoft. (The first time was PS2 which defeated the original Xbox in marketplace.) It seems like Sony is shaping up to be Microsoft's nemesis. And now it seems like the PS3 will ultimately overtake Xbox 360 in sales (this year) and market shares (by 2010 or 2011). If that happen, then three times. Three times Sony will have defeated Microsoft.

I dont believe that the PS3 will overtake the 360 the way the PS2 owned the last gen consoles. The thing is the 360 just has too many good exclusive games on it. The PS3 will get its fair share of exclusive games soon enough though, but Id have to say that it would be really disappointing news for MS if the PS3 is able to eventually overtake the 360.

However, I do believe that in the end, the PS3 will end up being the superior console due to the extra space afforded by bluray.

1080p 02-16-2008 06:46 PM

The Vhs Vs Beta can't be compared here.
For one both of these video tape formats had all the major studio support and two there wasn't any other type of consumer home video format before them.
People did choose.

HD DVD and Blu are different.
As Sony monopolized the fight to their own advantage, in another word cheated.
Studios were split and Sony ownwed 3 of them.
Customers were given no choice.

I would like to see a new format now that Sony killed any chance of an Hi Def Optical disc become mainstream.
Maybe a format that isn't a disc?
Maybe a format that doesn't use moving parts?
Maybe a USB type memory card format?

I just know Blu isn't going to get the public like DVD had.

willxcore 02-16-2008 06:50 PM

This, now more than ever, is the year for the PS3. Price drops for a more affordable system. More exclusive and better games coming out.

And now the only game console that supports the next generation of high def disc media. And even if MS puts out a Blu-ray add-on (which somehow I doubt) then the PS3 will still be a native BD player and that's still an advantage.

I have a pppps3 a xxxxbox 360 and a hhhhdvd player, even a Wii. But by far my favorite piece of tech equipment is my PS3.

goshikisen 02-16-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1080p (Post 764578)

Bitter about much? :))

Blu-ray is not dying, HD DVD did though. :))

g.k. 02-16-2008 06:52 PM

I think there still could be a market for HD DVD, in China. Even if it folds in the rest of the world, China has it's own version of the format. In fact, it could end up being Chinese CEs that end up making dual format players (like they were the first to support Divx). I guess it depends on what Toshiba decides to do as far as persuing the Chinese strategy.

willxcore 02-16-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

For one both of these video tape formats had all the major studio support and two there wasn't any other type of consumer home video format before them.
People did choose.

I would like to see a new format now that Sony killed any chance of an Hi Def Optical disc become mainstream.

Sony didn't "cheat" at all. They worked as a business. If you were selling lemonade and some guy across the street was too, and you lowered your prices and all the neighbors came to buy your lemonade, would that be cheating? No. If the other guy promised to mow the lawn for 2/3 of the block so that they would buy his lemonade only, would that be cheating? No. It's a piss poor analogy but it's just marketing and business. If you supported HD DVD and Toshiba did the same thing you'd be singing a different tune.

The next generation is going to be digital media of course. Buy movies form iTunes, PS3, XBox, etc etc

BluRanger 02-16-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

People did choose.

Hush up kid, ppl always have the choice, wether it is to adopt hhhhdvd, and/or bbblu or become netural. And Paramount didn't get payed off. Man I'm glad that BD won, so now everyone knows it and you have to deal with that fact.

aristotles 02-16-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

I was given no choice by Toshiba of either formats or hardware manufacturers if I wanted to see Universal movies and then last summer Toshiba removed my choice of format if I wanted to see new Paramount and Dreamworks films even though other Paramount titles were selling 2:1 on blu-ray versus HD DVD. Do you consider that cheating?

There is no evidence that Sony paid any studio directly to support blu-ray exclusively. What they did give them was better bandwidth and capacity to present their films in high quality video and uncompressed PCM. They also gave Fox a better protection scheme (BD+) after the common encryption scheme on both formats was cracked. The fact that Blu-ray titles outsold HD DVD by a margin of over 3:1 on neutral releases helped keep their loyalty.

The BDA also offered a promise of better interactivity in the future than HDi could ever deliver with BD-Java.

Cridlon 02-16-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

People did choose.

Que the Violins and Cheese! LMAO! all I have to say is What a whiner! Sony Cheated? I didn't know there were set rules in this industry! Grow up and act like an adult!

Hmmm, let's think about this, No one put a gun to any one's head and told them to buy a BD player or a HD player. So how was the consumers choice not made?