The Future of Blu-ray: Compatibility, Compression, Confusion - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
4k is overkill for 99% of households anyway. You need to have a seating distance to display size ratio of less than 1.5:1 to even start to appreciate the added resolution of 4k, and 1.2:1 or less to fully appreciate it. It would definitely be a niche product, probably on laser disc level, and obviously best delivered on a physical format.

I don't care for the idea of Blu-ray's 50gb capacity being an issue for them to work around though. But if that's the road they choose then I hope it works out and we get 4K discs because I would definitely be a buyer.

No one give a rat ass for this graphic? What he is sayin is true, to watch a 4k movie with 60 inches you should sit at less of 4 feets and that is really very stupid(imagine how this screw all what the audiophiles spent in HIGH TECH Home Theaters to heard the same results as the optical users).
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 AM

>60" screen

The edge of "benefit of 4k starts to become noticeable" is between 7.5 and 5', not 4'. Those who sit 10' away would need an 80" screen.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
>60" screen

The edge of "benefit of 4k starts to become noticeable" is between 7.5 and 5', not 4'. Those who sit 10' away would need an 80" screen.
The full benefit for 4k is 5 feets, imagine sit a too short distance, you wont need a HT, with the tv speakers is more than enough to enjoy a movie.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM

The chart is a guide and probably calculated for 20-20 vision therefore it will vary with every individual. I have eyesight astigmatism and unaided my vision is L 20-60, R 20-40, when corrected with glasses eyesight is L 20-15, R 20-13. In my theater is a 106" Da-Lite Audio Vision screen and under the right conditions I can see the pin holes (for passing audio) in the screen material.

Folks should keep in mind that 1920 real world video probably maxes out at about 1700 pixels. The reason is most digital video originates in the analog domain (video cameras, telecines, etc.) therefore it is sampled and the max frequency will be less than the pixel clock (Nyquist sampling theorem). I would wager that most of the end to end video we see is probably 1400 pixels or less.

The folks that have the Sony 4K native projector say there is marked improvement compared to 2K projectors when viewing top notch Blu-ray disc. If you have a Blu-ray player and BD titles from Sony (Columbia) disc- Go to the Main Menu and enter SONY (7669) on your remote. This will bring up several test patterns, one being a resolution chart that you can use to check your monitors resolution. Remember, the Resolution Charts on the Sony disc is in terms of per pixel height.

Bottom line, 4K should provide a marked improvement in end to end video if the source is true 4K material.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Yes, this is true, many people have better than 20/20 vision.

Second point, the way that chart is calculated "fully benefit from X resolution" means "you can resolve the pixels", which means you can see clearly that the image is made of pixels, and is not real. To me that is not desirable. the desirable situation is that you do not notice that the image is made of pixels. For the average person, it would be well beyond distance to the screen where the chart says you get "full benefit." I have tried this myself many times with my 1080p set. I always can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p content from 10 feet, (46" TV), and I wear glasses, my eyesight is probably worse than average. Try it yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R Breland View Post
The chart is a guide and probably calculated for 20-20 vision therefore it will vary with every individual. I have eyesight astigmatism and unaided my vision is L 20-60, R 20-40, when corrected with glasses eyesight is L 20-15, R 20-13. In my theater is a 106" Da-Lite Audio Vision screen and under the right conditions I can see the pin holes (for passing audio) in the screen material.

Folks should keep in mind that 1920 real world video probably maxes out at about 1700 pixels. The reason is most digital video originates in the analog domain (video cameras, telecines, etc.) therefore it is sampled and the max frequency will be less than the pixel clock (Nyquist sampling theorem). I would wager that most of the end to end video we see is probably 1400 pixels or less.

The folks that have the Sony 4K native projector say there is marked improvement compared to 2K projectors when viewing top notch Blu-ray disc. If you have a Blu-ray player and BD titles from Sony (Columbia) disc- Go to the Main Menu and enter SONY (7669) on your remote. This will bring up several test patterns, one being a resolution chart that you can use to check your monitors resolution. Remember, the Resolution Charts on the Sony disc is in terms of per pixel height.

Bottom line, 4K should provide a marked improvement in end to end video if the source is true 4K material.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned

as this chart falls a clear light over the viewing distances the video of varying formats from Blu-Ray .. but still in confusion with the 4K format .. is it out for public sell or just in process to be launched ?..
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebond View Post
but still in confusion with the 4K format .. is it out for public sell or just in process to be launched ?..
TV's are available for sale, Sony has a 4K projector for sale and the FMP-X1 4K should be available soon.