As expected, Xbox One will have a blu-ray drive.... - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
That's EXACTLY what they are doing. There is MORE money to be made with the media hub aspects.

People are cutting the cable cord. Look at netflix with their own show and Amazon working on their own as well. We are moving in that direction because that's what consumers want.
That and the fact that Microsoft stated that yesterday's event was not going to focus on games since that was the focus of the E3 event for the platform.

I am quite sure Microsoft is still serious about gaming. The Wii U is not looking very good right now, and game developers will flock to the Ps4 and Xbox One.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM

I can't see MS making more money off streaming than they do game royalties, xbox live and gaming add-ons. They are very dominant in gaming right now and I'm sure their intent is to stay that way. Streaming is becoming so fragmented that no one will ever own a big piece of that pie (except maybe Netflix, but I doubt it) and as of right now streaming/download revenue as a whole is small compared to gaming.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I can't see MS making more money off streaming than they do game royalties, xbox live and gaming add-ons. They are very dominant in gaming right now and I'm sure their intent is to stay that way. Streaming is becoming so fragmented that no one will ever own a big piece of that pie (except maybe Netflix, but I doubt it) and as of right now streaming/download revenue as a whole is small compared to gaming.
I agree. I think they are actually trying to do the opposite. Get people who are not considered hardcore gamers to buy an Xbox One for everything else it can do, and then trojan horse people into gaming where MS stands to make the most money.

I am interested in the DVR capability and how it will work with cable/sat companies (i.e. if they will play nice). The new Kinect also opens up lots of doors outside of just gaming. For example, with the facial recognition software it would be possible to recognize that my kids are in the room and it would only allow them to play certain rated games and movies (parental control).
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I agree. I think they are actually trying to do the opposite. Get people who are not considered hardcore gamers to buy an Xbox One for everything else it can do, and then trojan horse people into gaming where MS stands to make the most money.
That's exactly what I was thinking, the target market for the media center component is the casual gamer, someone who is open-minded and is considering it, or simply a parent who sees this as a way of killing two birds with one stone. It kinda like the combo Blu-ray/DVD/UV SKUs sold today. They want it to appeal to as large a target market as possible yet keep the price at a reasonable level (since BD players with streaming capability can be bought for $50, I don't think adding BD playback is adding much to the cost anyway. Besides MS really needs a BD drive anyway because games are getting too big for DVDs).

Quote:
I am interested in the DVR capability and how it will work with cable/sat companies (i.e. if they will play nice). The new Kinect also opens up lots of doors outside of just gaming. For example, with the facial recognition software it would be possible to recognize that my kids are in the room and it would only allow them to play certain rated games and movies (parental control).
I would be open to buying this if the DVR will work with my cable company. But otherwise I don't like the rumors I'm hearing about requiring xbox live for single player gaming. I'm just a casual gamer who only sometimes plays single player games and don't want to have to be online or even "check in" every 24 hours or even have to download/register a game first just to play it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
I only wonder the 4k and next generation 3D bandwidth requirements will continue to require physical media - if so will it be a circular disc?
It will be interesting to see how well H.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) handles 4K video. Most likely it will be well into 2014 before we see hardware decoders.

There does not appear to be anything that will supplant stamped disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray [even LPs]) on the horizon because it is so cheap to produce and can be done in such vast quantities. Even tho NOR and NAND flash has come way down in price it is nowhere near as cheap as OD for content distribution.

It is funny how all the metro folks thinks everyone is connected and everyone knows how to use all these gadgets. They really need to do some traveling across the US of A.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Stamped disc is cheapest this point in time, but a lot can happen in a few years. People always tend to underestimate future technology. Stamped disc will still be cheaper, but maybe not by so much where the cost difference will still outweigh the limitations of the media. 4K will be niche anyway and if the prices are high enough to justify low sales than saving a couple of bucks on media won't matter that much anyway as margins per unit sold will still be high on more capable media.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Bruce - You hit it on the head, there's no way Microsoft makes more money as a media hub without two key changes...

1. Quit beating around the bush and effing buy Netflix already. When Reed Hastings left the investment board, everyone knew that was the intention. He can't be on it for legal/conflict of interest issues. I don't care what Ted Sarandos keeps ranting about "Netflix is fine, don't worry about our spending." (Paraphrasing of course) - You can't lay out $10s of billions of dollars, increasing every year, with slowing growth, it can't sustain itself, especially since they don't have a ton of excess cash on hand.

2. They need an alliance with either a cable or satellite company and make the Xbox One a hub for them, much like the agreements that Tivo entered over the years to keep their company alive. (Obviously Microsoft isn't in the same boat, but screw up another OS, and stumble in the gaming arena and where do you go?)

fitprod
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
That and the fact that Microsoft stated that yesterday's event was not going to focus on games since that was the focus of the E3 event for the platform.

I am quite sure Microsoft is still serious about gaming. The Wii U is not looking very good right now, and game developers will flock to the Ps4 and Xbox One.
It's a GAMES console first and foremost. If they were going to focus on the games later on, then why didn't they just wait until E3 to reveal everything all at once? That way, complaints about Microsoft turning their backs on core gamers would go down somewhat while still providing ample focus on everything the box has to offer.

Also, the Wii U isn't doing so hot because of games and games alone. It's highly likely that big selling games will be announced at E3 and may have a good chance of getting the Wii U out of the rut it's in.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettacki View Post
It's a GAMES console first and foremost. If they were going to focus on the games later on, then why didn't they just wait until E3 to reveal everything all at once? That way, complaints about Microsoft turning their backs on core gamers would go down somewhat while still providing ample focus on everything the box has to offer.
Because they are hyping their console just like Sony did. I have no problem with MS doing what they did yesterday. It has a buzz and people are talking. E3, will be about the games.

It may or may not be a games console first and foremost anymore. We will see.

Quote:
Also, the Wii U isn't doing so hot because of games and games alone. It's highly likely that big selling games will be announced at E3 and may have a good chance of getting the Wii U out of the rut it's in.
Honestly, Nintendo should just become a software company and make games for tablets, smartphones, Xbox, and PS. Their games are so good, they would make far more money if they focused on their games and got out of the hardware business.

My kids would love the Nintendo games on their iPads. Software is where the money is to be made, not hardware.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Because they are hyping their console just like Sony did. I have no problem with MS doing what they did yesterday. It has a buzz and people are talking. E3, will be about the games.

It may or may not be a games console first and foremost anymore. We will see.
Don't you think the hyping up of their console would be a bit more effective if they actually showed more games than just COD, Madden, Forza and Quantum Break? At least show it on equal footing relative to the media hub type features? Or hell, even show it first before covering the media hub stuff?

Let me guess, you don't play games that much/at all, so whatever my concerns are don't really match up to your's, which is why you were more satisfied with the conference than I was, right? (This isn't an insult or anything, just wondering.)