ESPN 3D, looking for ROI and not looking good... - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
So, using your logic, if the Super Bowl is not broadcast in 3D in about 2 years, it will be a failure.
No - that is YOUR logic Ack and a screwed up one at that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Stop trying to change the subject.

The argument wasn't whether "some people" would buy into the technology, it was whether "3D" would follow the same adoption rates as HD.

You and Taffy are the ones claiming that "3D" will follow the same timetable for adoption that HD has had..

I am pointing out that the two technologies are dissimilar enough that the analogy of said timetable is flawed and will not likely be an accurate representation of the course of events.
Indeed.
SD to HD is like going from a 1989 BMW to a 2010 BMW.
Going 2D to 3D is like buying a boat instead.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Stop trying to change the subject.

The argument wasn't whether "some people" would buy into the technology, it was whether "3D" would follow the same adoption rates as HD.
Who ever said it would?

Quote:
You and Taffy are the ones claiming that "3D" will follow the same timetable for adoption that HD has had..
Nope - Can show a post where I specifically said that?

Quote:
I am pointing out that the two technologies are dissimilar enough that the analogy of said timetable is flawed and will not likely be an accurate representation of the course of events.
But you are forgetting that there is more 3D content available now (8 months after launch) then there was 8 months after the launch of HDTV here in the USA which was Oct. 1997. And the cost to own a 3DTV is a fraction of what the cost was to own an HDTV.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
Indeed.
SD to HD is like going from a 1989 BMW to a 2010 BMW.
Going 2D to 3D is like buying a boat instead.
Not really. It's like going from an automatic trans car to a manual trans car.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
luclin999's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Not really. It's like going from an automatic trans car to a manual trans car.
Virtually anyone who ever owned an SD TV would (at some point) upgrade to, and utilize an HD set.

The same cannot be said for "3D" as it appeals to some television views but not to others.

Thus the Anaolgy is flawed....period.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Virtually anyone who ever owned an SD TV would (at some point) upgrade to, and utilize an HD set.

The same cannot be said for "3D" as it appeals to some television views but not to others.

Thus the Anaolgy is flawed....period.
And again I ask . . .

Who ever said that 3D would be a 100% adoption product?

Oh - by the way - if you went shopping for a new TV - say a 42" size. Can you buy an SDTV in that size?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
luclin999's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Who ever said it would?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope - Can show a post where I specifically said that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
3D TV just needs a few years to mature a bit....that's all. Hell... I remember during HDTVs formative years beginning in 2001 initially getting just a few NFL/college games in HD and in a matter of just a few years having my pick of HD telecast games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
HDTV was launched Q4, 1997. the first Super Bowl broadcast in HD was 2000.
You and Taffy have both made the (flawed) comparison of the "3D" adoption timetable to the one HD followed.

But feel free to backpeddle all you like, it just goes to show that even you realize that your argument has failed.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
You and Taffy have both made the (flawed) comparison of the "3D" adoption timetable to the one HD followed.

But feel free to backpeddle all you like, it just goes to show that even you realize that your argument has failed.
THAT is your proof?

The fact that I showed when the Super Bowl was broadcast in HD for the first time?

Are you OK? That stretch MUST have pulled some muscles.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
And again I ask . . .

Who ever said that 3D would be a 100% adoption product?
You when you disagreed with luclin who said exactly this.
Quote:
Comparing "3D" and HDTV is really a poor analogy as they are more like apples and oranges.
So apparently you agree with him. Dunno why you made so much fluff.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
You when you disagreed with luclin who said exactly this.

So apparently you agree with him. Dunno why you made so much fluff.
But I don't agree with him. I believe that analogy - apples to oranges is too big a difference.

And it says nothing about 3DTV adoption SPECIFICALLY.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Reduces Price of PlayStation Vue by $10 and Launches Disney/ABC & ESPN Channels scohen HD Digital Downloads (NEW!) 0 03-02-2016 02:29 PM
ESPN Announces Plans to Shut Down ESPN 3D by the End of Year Brian Hoss 3D Gear & Movies 13 06-21-2013 05:07 AM
FS: ESPN 30 For 30 and 1 other item MarkG Blu-ray Disc Exchange 0 09-23-2011 05:31 PM
ESPN and Comcast Announce Distribution Agreement to Bring ESPN 3D to Sports Fans Lee Stewart 3D Gear & Movies 0 05-12-2010 12:46 PM
Looking to get some good speakers and what not Fisher & Sons Home Theater Gear 20 04-28-2009 09:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off