Denon to Release Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A Universal Player Eventually- - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Default I was very green once too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
LOL...yep, he is the new guru here. 6 posts in and a "know it all" %-(
I lurked here for months reading posts, and on the AVS. I don't trust either side but bought HD when I got a great deal.

I then started planning to buy a BD player and did more research on this "profiles" thing and became livid that any CE manufacturer would be involved with such a scam.

Denon (my old amp was Denon...good times) obviously don't want to stain their brand so they're backing away for now.

There is no defense for the profiles FUBAR. Simply no defense.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
I lurked here for months reading posts, and on the AVS. I don't trust either side but bought HD when I got a great deal.

I then started planning to buy a BD player and did more research on this "profiles" thing and became livid that any CE manufacturer would be involved with such a scam.

Denon (my old amp was Denon...good times) obviously don't want to stain their brand so they're backing away for now.

There is no defense for the profiles FUBAR. Simply no defense.
Remember the Blu-patrol is recruiting new recruits to come to neutral forums to "kill the evil HD DVD people".

I have a feeling we'll be seeing alot of posts trying to kill HD DVD for quite awhile now.

Thank goodness the HD DVD supporters aren't trying to do the same.

By the way I think you're smart for waiting for a new Blu-ray player. I wish I had waited to buy my Panasonic player & would have it I knew there would be a profile 2.0 that my player would not be able to take advantage of.

The Denon spokesperson was pretty much telling it like it is. It will take until sometime next year to get all the specs on a Blu-ray player.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM

I am happy with HD right now. no complaints. As for blu, well, i got the PS3 for that reason, hoping that if and when it failed, I could use it as a game console...well, that does not look too positive for me so far.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
Truth, and this guy ain't a fanboi.

http://www.listenup.com/content/part...dge.aug.07.php

Note: 1.1 discs..."may not play on 1.0 machines".

I am smart for waiting to buy BD.
Well, that makes sense to me. As the BDA has been saying all along, some of the features from 1.1 discs may not play on 1.0 players. What we do know is that anything authored in BD-J 1.0 (anything outside of PiP) will work, along with the main movie. This is nothing new.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Yep, nothing really new here regarding 1.1/2.0 profiles. Thing is, at that price they could have easily included an ethernet port and called it a 2.0 or at least a 2.0 ready player. I don't really understand why they didn't.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

When the new HD DVD players are released that offer bitstream output the menus can be designed so options that aren't available are removed or changed eg audio commentaries. This can be very similar to what should happen with BD titles that require Profile 1.1 or 2.0

I don't know of any HD DVD titles that are designed this way but it would cut down on confusion. I fully expect BD titles to be done this way but the BDA like to throw a spanner in the works every now and then :P
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Article being discussed here

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=18322
Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
....and as we know over the last few months standalone sales of bluray players have exceeded those of hd dvd players
Completely UNTRUE. The only thing remotely close to that which might be true is the REVENUE from stand-alone Blu may have exceeded the revenue from stand-alone HD DVD sales. That's a bit easier to do with the players selling for 2-4 times the price!

Mark
Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM

I hope Denon does release a universal combo player. Assuming both formats are still around 18 months or so from now, I could see myself buying such a player.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Completely UNTRUE. The only thing remotely close to that which might be true is the REVENUE from stand-alone Blu may have exceeded the revenue from stand-alone HD DVD sales. That's a bit easier to do with the players selling for 2-4 times the price!

Mark
no, it's completely TRUE and even toshiba acknowledged this in their statement.

Quote:
"While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago."