China may require disclosure of software code, Yomiuri [JP paper] says - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLSU View Post
Nice isn't it.

Not if the bean counters have anything to do with it. Their focused on short term gain and probably begging to do it because "The markets HUGE, we're going to make millions", BS.

If I've seen it once I've seen it a million times. One day youíre making your product in a Chinese factory all headed by an influential, connected Chinese business man (mandatory by the government). The next day, there's a product that looks suspiciously just like yours made in another factory surprisingly headed by the same influential Chinese businessman. What are the odds?
I remember the same thing with the Japanese too. I was at a TV trade show with a company delegation and one of the new cameras was being shown to us when another walked over and slapped it shut. Turns out there was a Japanese guy there snapping pictures and he was a known, let us say, improper collector of proprietary information.

China is the same scenario. A small firm my brother worked for farmed a job out to IBM and they ended up suing both IBM and the Chinese subcontractor stopped importation. This was one of the early cases before the Chinese even cared. They had a forensic firm peel apart 100 chips and the f*ckers didn't even have the decency to take out the "makers marks" (in the old days, anyway, designers would stick initials, "pictures", et al into the design) and it's only gotten worse.

Right now the Chinese have a great manufacturing capacity, but are very impoverished in both R&D and Intellectual Property. Oh well, I guess if it's any consolation, the Chinese should be the idiots getting the Vaseline ready in about 25 years.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Without proper patent protection laws, a country will never be able to advance R&D for domestically produced materials or services. China has a wonderful lack of lawyers which seems to get some things done very efficiently but with every positive thereís a negative. There are no patent laws or prosecutors, so anyone foolish enough to dump tons of money into product development will never be able to recoup expenses before itís hacked and sold for half price.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM

My friends uncle runs a factory in China and they get contracts from all sorts of well known companies to make well known products (no CE's here though), and they simply run after hours to make the off the books products and sell them as knock offs. Same quality, lower price.

ALso there are lots of contract companies that can make you what ever you want. Most products are about the design and marketting, not the insides which are largely generic.

Big problem but the demand for cheaper goods will keep this around for quite some time.

Apple has a problem I guess. I think they run their own factories in China, but will now have to disclose everything?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 AM

I hope these companies realize that they can move operations to other countries that don't implement this kind mandate. There's Malaysia, S. Korea, India, and Thailand to name a few. Or better yet, to stimulate or economy, move those jobs back to the good ol' US of A so we can finally have our "American Made" goods that everyone complains we don't have any more.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

We can't just pull out of china, they hold a good deal of US debt and I'm sure other nations as well... Do you really want to start an economic war for no good reason? Particularly durring already economically bad times?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Do you really want to start an economic war for no good reason?
Some might say that protecting one's intellectual property from certain and instant pilferage is a good reason.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Yeah, lets see how long you feel that way after you've lost your job and the world is economic ruin because we can't all just get along
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
We can't just pull out of china, they hold a good deal of US debt
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM

True, but my biggest gripe is how much I hear we need to start producing again, but they don't realize if we were to bring jobs here again, prices would go up and the same people would start complaining. I for one, would like to see our country start producing electronic goods again, but the way we've been conditioned to want more for less has put us in a position where we'll sacrifice collective good for individual want.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
We can't just pull out of china, they hold a good deal of US debt and I'm sure other nations as well... Do you really want to start an economic war for no good reason? Particularly durring already economically bad times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
Some might say that protecting one's intellectual property from certain and instant pilferage is a good reason.
You might say that china cast the first stone there. A simple rebuke of this demand should suffice - I highly doubt china would kick out such a lucrative industry for them. If only the ce's would band together on that.