Buena Vista: Consumers are voting with their dollars and adopting Blu-ray - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Buena Vista is not very strong in that listing, besides Pirates and Apocalypto, Deja Vu and The Queen are NOT high profile titles at all, other wise Buena Vista has nothing coming out and FOX is almost not there at all, why is that and why did they pull all of their titles when everything was ready to go with them?

Thats the question everyone is asking, if Bluray is THE format to go with you figure companies would be clamoring to get their stuff out now that all the hoopla about 1 million discs sold has come about, but alas Disney, Fox and Buena Vista (which is of course owned by Disney) has almost nothing coming in the next 4-5 months, Sony is the biggest supporter and backer of the format bar none so of course they have a ton of titles coming.....as for HD DVD not making a comeback, first of all nothing huge came out to make a comeback, Bluray is always saying they have so many titles, well its the amount of movies available that really make a difference, COM wasnt a huge draw for a lot of people, Happy Feet sold pretty well and better than BDs version I believe but those few arent exactly enough to catapult HD DVD back up to the top, its this summer with all the Universal releases and WB releases like the Matrix that will really start showing some much better numbers for HD DVD
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
divian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
I complained about Children of Men on HD DVD, and I also complained about Casino Royale on DVD. I don't own either of them, but it always pisses me off when companies do a crappy job quality control and the consumer ends up having to fight for getting things resolved.

In my opinion, class action lawsuits should be launched for both cases.
I think you are right.

You can complaint as much as you want...anytime you want. You are right. That is precisely what I mean.
I just do not understand why just because I do not have a Blu Ray player on April 22, 2007, I can not complaint about Fox not releasing more movies anymore on any format.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
marine92104's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Buena Vista is not very strong in that listing, besides Pirates and Apocalypto, Deja Vu and The Queen are NOT high profile titles at all, other wise Buena Vista has nothing coming out and FOX is almost not there at all, why is that and why did they pull all of their titles when everything was ready to go with them?

Thats the question everyone is asking, if Bluray is THE format to go with you figure companies would be clamoring to get their stuff out now that all the hoopla about 1 million discs sold has come about, but alas Disney, Fox and Buena Vista (which is of course owned by Disney) has almost nothing coming in the next 4-5 months, Sony is the biggest supporter and backer of the format bar none so of course they have a ton of titles coming.....as for HD DVD not making a comeback, first of all nothing huge came out to make a comeback, Bluray is always saying they have so many titles, well its the amount of movies available that really make a difference, COM wasnt a huge draw for a lot of people, Happy Feet sold pretty well and better than BDs version I believe but those few arent exactly enough to catapult HD DVD back up to the top, its this summer with all the Universal releases and WB releases like the Matrix that will really start showing some much better numbers for HD DVD

Excellent post about Fox & Disney. I've been saying that for weeks. They're big vocal supporters but Fox is nowhere to be seen.

After the POTC movies Disney pulled all their bigger titles on 6/5 (Cars, The Rock, Con Air & Crimson Tide).

I'm getting pretty upset that a week that has all these big titles announced & they don't come out with no reason why or what happened to them. This is the 3rd time it's happened. Twice with Fox & now with Disney.

Hopefully things will change soon because like alot of people I'm getting impatient for quality titles. Studios can fuss about how many copies of a movie sells but if you put out crappy titles you can't expect to sell 100,000 copies of it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,063
Default

No studio can support a format on its own--they just don't put out enough movies each year to have new releases every week. We saw that in March-April from Universal leaving HD DVD owners in the cold...and now that there's some signs of slowing from Fox, HD DVD fanbois are dancing in the streets as if Blu-ray doesn't have any other exclusive studios to continue pumping out hot new releases to keep our collective Netflix Queues stocked.

If a format is hanging on for its survival with a Damoclean sword held at bay by a single studio, there might be something to worry about when a studio like Fox or Universal has a lull in production...fortunately, Blu-ray isn't in that sort of predicament.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
divian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
Buena Vista is not Neutral. They should not talk about consumer's choice since they are not giving consumers the choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
They are giving you the choice of either buying a DVD or a Blu-ray of their movies.

That's a choice.
If you read my post you can see that I already said the choice...I never said any given choice.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 AM
divian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Excellent post about Fox & Disney. I've been saying that for weeks. They're big vocal supporters but Fox is nowhere to be seen.

After the POTC movies Disney pulled all their bigger titles on 6/5 (Cars, The Rock, Con Air & Crimson Tide).

I'm getting pretty upset that a week that has all these big titles announced & they don't come out with no reason why or what happened to them. This is the 3rd time it's happened. Twice with Fox & now with Disney.

Hopefully things will change soon because like alot of people I'm getting impatient for quality titles. Studios can fuss about how many copies of a movie sells but if you put out crappy titles you can't expect to sell 100,000 copies of it.
The Rock and Con Air are not even huge titles either.
People need to get real regarding the meaning of huge titles.( Marine, I do not mean you)
I am getting tired of people mentioning The rock and Con Air to show somehow that those are blockbusters.
As I stated about 5 weeks ago..there are no more blockbusters on the horizon for both formats after POTC and Matrix.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 69
Default

Darn. I don't recall getting to vote for any Buena Vista movies on HD DVD with my dollars. Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Excellent post about Fox & Disney. I've been saying that for weeks. They're big vocal supporters but Fox is nowhere to be seen.

After the POTC movies Disney pulled all their bigger titles on 6/5 (Cars, The Rock, Con Air & Crimson Tide).

I'm getting pretty upset that a week that has all these big titles announced & they don't come out with no reason why or what happened to them. This is the 3rd time it's happened. Twice with Fox & now with Disney.

Hopefully things will change soon because like alot of people I'm getting impatient for quality titles. Studios can fuss about how many copies of a movie sells but if you put out crappy titles you can't expect to sell 100,000 copies of it.
Fox is busy working on BD+. This has been confirmed in the Blu-ray forums by paidgeek, haven't you seen it there?

Once they've gotten that sorted out I think there will be plenty of content on Blu-ray just in time for you to put together your Christmas wishlist.

I have no doubt we'll see Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, X Men, X Men 2, etc. Hopefully one of the Alien movies too, that would be nice, and any other delayed titles.

They're not considering going neutral, I know you wouldn't suggest that.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
divian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Fox is busy working on BD+. This has been confirmed in the Blu-ray forums by paidgeek, haven't you seen it there?
I think you should stop using Paidgeek as a source.
If youy tell us that this is your personal opinion I wopuld respect this as much as if you give us a reliable source.
He is not a person that can be mentioned with a real First and Last name. He is not a figure that represents a company or a web site either.
I also know a guy called Waldo on the forums and he also is an insider and he knows that Fox is going Neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
I think you should stop using Paidgeek as a source.
If youy tell us that this is your personal opinion I wopuld respect this as much as if you give us a reliable source.
He is not a person that can be mentioned with a real First and Last name. He is not a figure that represents a company or a web site either.
I also know a guy called Waldo on the forums and he also is an insider and he knows that Fox is going Neutral.
Oh yes of course another "it doesn't matter you can't use that" argument from the HD DVD camp.

Hey how many HD DVD players have been sold (you can't count the PS3)
How come Warner's sales from HD DVD are so high in ratio to their Blu-ray disc sales (you can't count the titles they haven't released)

Please - it's pretty freaking obvious that paidgeek and Amir are both insiders. Take that sort of rubbish you're suggesting elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD Empire up to 30% Disney and Buena Vista junglalien Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 3 01-24-2008 07:43 PM
Amazon's Buena Vista (Disney) Blu Ray sale $14.95 or $19.49 countryjoint Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 2 08-19-2007 08:11 PM
More movies from Sony, Buena Vista and Lions Gate onyxx Blu-ray Software General Discussion 11 05-30-2007 04:19 PM
PoC Blu-ray customers denied "FREE" movie ticket by Best Buy and Buena Vista. MentokTheMindTaker High Definition Smackdown 19 05-24-2007 12:41 PM
Blu-ray Announcements from Fox and Buena Vista zombieflanders Blu-ray Software General Discussion 7 01-11-2007 07:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off