High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   High Definition Smackdown (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown-6/)
-   -   Blockbuster Aftermath: Cancelled HD DVD Player Sales (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/9917-blockbuster-aftermath-cancelled-hd-dvd-player-sales.html)

ARPRINCE 06-19-2007 05:24 PM

Blockbuster Aftermath: Cancelled HD DVD Player Sales

Link here....

Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders cancelled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire lifecycle. The kicker? All of them were cancelled because of the Blockbuster announcement.

Not only that, new sales of HD DVD players are nonexistent, with Blu-ray being the only things moving now.

The more tech savvy of us rent our stuff on Netflix or Blockbuster Online (which is still supporting both formats for now), but this announcement—covered in many mainstream media sources—had a big impact on people who actually rent at Blockbuster.

Any of you tipsters working at other retail outlets see something similar? Email us if you have. – Jason Chen

Thanks tipster!

glocks out 06-19-2007 05:26 PM

Anonymous, so I give it no weight.

However, the news story might have some effect because Gizmodo is popular. HD DVD PR Group should cease and desist asap.

messin18 06-19-2007 05:27 PM

"A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had "

lol.

spacejamz 06-19-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARPRINCE (Post 168226)
Link here....

Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders cancelled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire lifecycle. The kicker? All of them were cancelled because of the Blockbuster announcement.

Not only that, new sales of HD DVD players are nonexistent, with Blu-ray being the only things moving now.

The more tech savvy of us rent our stuff on Netflix or Blockbuster Online (which is still supporting both formats for now), but this announcement—covered in many mainstream media sources—had a big impact on people who actually rent at Blockbuster.

Any of you tipsters working at other retail outlets see something similar? Email us if you have. – Jason Chen

Thanks tipster!

they have been cancelling the past few days and the announcement was leaked Sunday night??? what am i missing?

ack_bak 06-19-2007 05:28 PM

"A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement."

Sorry, but this could be 1 or 2 people at one Best Buy... Sure, I believe that a few people got cold feet but I doubt this is having the impact this story is making it seem to have..

That said, Toshiba and the HD DVD promotions group need to do some serious damage control... Pronto...

corduroygt 06-19-2007 05:30 PM

No need to worry, we'll know the real effect when we see the sales numbers.
Anonymous and anecdotal information really doesn't count.

SuperMattyP 06-19-2007 05:31 PM

who is "cancelling orders" for products that are sitting on the shelves by the hundreds?

This is total BS.

fanboy FUD.

Mu Zeta 06-19-2007 05:32 PM

New game. Everytime a new thread related to blockbuster pops up take a shot.

polyh3dron 06-19-2007 05:32 PM

Gizmodo is pretty repectable. I would not take this lightly.

vegasr 06-19-2007 05:32 PM

Agreed Ack, the silence from HD is deafening. Perception is everything to most of the general public.