Best Buy Playing Nasty - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4sale View Post
Bluray=costs more so if they push it the manager's get fatter bonus checks.
not true. no one (at best buy) get paid more for promoting one product over another, trust me i work for best buy. i will agree with you that our hd dvd displays suck compared to our blue-ray, that has somewhat to do with how the vendors set it up, basically sony tells us which tv and sound system to use with which blue ray playr, so does toshiba, the downside is that sony makes better tvs with faster response times... i hear you though man, if i could change our displays i would in a second.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Or maybe they sell twice as much and that's why they push it more?
They don't sell twice as many BD players.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie42 View Post
BB & CC do not work on comission.
True, but the management still get bonus checks based on sales. Also, there is still much pressure on the sales people to sell the items that have a high markup. They are not stupid at these stores, they know what makes money and what doesn't and they know if they sell nothing but items with little markup, they make little profit, if they sell items with a high markup, they make more profit.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4sale View Post
Bluray=costs more so if they push it the manager's get fatter bonus checks.
Absolutely, the profit margin on an expensive BR player is probably much higher than an HD-DVD player. J6P will buy the less expensive player, all things being "equal". "Equal" won't keep the salesperson from up selling the more expensive BR player with their own brand of fud. That's why I research my purchases first, not relying on a salesman pushing a particular brand to get a higher sales commission.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or View Post
They don't sell twice as many BD players.
I was referring to software, but if you have any hardware sales figures by all means provide them.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives View Post

Wah. It's the store, not Best Buy in general. Complain to the store manager.
How can you say that when HD-DVD had its initial lead then the Blu Ray was released the favoritism in the isles was almost immediate despite Blu having yet proved its self. I have seen many best buys be out of stock of HD-DVD stock and then have piles upon piles of Blu Ray players that had a good layer of dust on them. Even with that the store did not shift the focus of there advertising. There is not such a huge market disparity that would deem Blu Ray be better off advertised.

There is clearly an in-store agenda to push HD-DVD to side isle endcaps. Even to the point where they will intentionally hide the product from the average consumer.

Some may ask why even sell it if they are trying to hide it. Well if they didnt maybe Sony could get in trouble with the DOJ for acts of a monopoly. That would have to be based on some sort of incentive or payoff by Sony to Best Buy. Not that Sony has ever been guilty of that before lol.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/200...jul25a_05.html
read that and tell me its not possible Sony is not doing the same thing with Best Buy
Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
I was referring to software, but if you have any hardware sales figures by all means provide them.
The SA sales ratios have been posted a million times. They are pretty much the opposite of disc sales.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz-Mataz View Post
BB and CC sales employees may not work on commission, but the more sales goals the store hits, the more bonuses the managers get. There is also one possible bonus for sales employees at the end of each year. Point being, managers have an incentive to sell what's best for them, and stupid/kiss-ass/overzealous employees will do exactly what the managers say.
They are also very likely to be like the smurfs here. Hard core PS3/BD fan boys. I've heard employees of BB and CC straight up lie to customers about HDM. On another note I was in Frys and there was a customer trying to buy an HD DVD player and the sales guy didn't have a clue about them. They really need to train these guys a little better.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz-Mataz View Post
At my BB most of the employees, and all of the Magnolia employees, prefer and push HDDVD. I guess it must be different at each store, which is why it's stupid to complain about it. If you want to change what's happenning go get hired at best buy and push your fav format.
So your saying Magnolia have more HD DVD players hooked up than Blu-ray? I wave the BS flag on that. Walk into the Magnolia and look at the screens. They aren't toshiba, they are Pioneer, Sony, Samsung and by contract they aren't authorized to connect anything but the players by the same company to them with the exception of Panasonic as they don't make televisions. If the Magnolia staff is pushing HD DVD it's not in their section. Go back and check the store. Toshiba is only in the main store so if they did push it, they weren't doing their job.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini75 View Post
with the exception of Panasonic as they don't make televisions.
Huh?