High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   High Definition Smackdown (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown-6/)
-   -   Best Buy Playing Nasty (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/30548-best-buy-playing-nasty.html)

Mightyram 12-15-2007 03:02 PM

Best Buy Playing Nasty

Best Buy (Midland, Texas) is playing nasty...

Last weekend I went to Best Buy and the Blu-Ray setup was up playing with heavy sound. I walked over to the HD DVD area and it was playing muted.

This week I walked by the Blu-Ray same setup with sound... HD DVD setup had no disc inserted and the screen said insert disc.

HD DVD disc's were split up with 1/2 on row and the other 1/2 on another row. The disc's were placed side by side like a Bookshelf with only the Spline of the case showing which made it really hard to see them.

Blu-Ray disc's were all one row while take up more space since they placed the disc's with their front covers showing.

spacejamz 12-15-2007 03:03 PM

I foresee a short future for this thread

gunz4sale 12-15-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightyram (Post 526581)

Lase weekend I went to Best Buy and the Blu-Ray setup was up playing with heavy sound. I walked over to the HD DVD area and it was playing muted.

This week I walked by the Blu-Ray same setup with sound... HD DVD setup had no disc inserted and the screen said insert disc.

HD DVD disc's were split up with 1/2 on row and the other 1/2 on another row. The disc's were placed side by side like a Bookshelf with only the Spline of the case showing which made it really hard to see them.

Blu-Ray disc's were all one row while take up more space since they placed the disc's with their front covers showing.

Bluray=costs more so if they push it the manager's get fatter bonus checks.

rmslives 12-15-2007 03:04 PM

:)):)):))

Wah. It's the store, not Best Buy in general. Complain to the store manager.

dBock 12-15-2007 03:05 PM

Probably because they have people their trying to make higher margin since they mark up Blu-ray so much. As an employee I didn't save much on HD players but saved a ton on BD players. They're in it for the money. I'd call Toshiba and tell them how good they are doing at spending that end cap money.

pirates 12-15-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBock (Post 526591)
Probably because they have people their trying to make higher margin since they mark up Blu-ray so much. As an employee I didn't save much on HD players but saved a ton on BD players. They're in it for the money. I'd call Toshiba and tell them how good they are doing at spending that end cap money.

Would you really go out of you way to do that? :confused:

I'm sorry but reporting to Toshiba really isn't going to do anything but prove that you're a crybaby. No offense. lol.

Rob71 12-15-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBock (Post 526591)

Or maybe they sell twice as much and that's why they push it more?

duckie42 12-15-2007 03:16 PM

(DETROIT, MI)[both stores i go to] same thing different location

its the same way here the HD DVD's were bookended taking up two stands the BD selection takes up 4 spaces. if HD & BD had the same amount of movies in store then there should be the same allotted slots & many of the HD moves are ON-LINE ONLY when the exact same mivie in BD is on the shelf.
I dont go over to the player section very much but when i do theres usually a movie playing THE WILD (or CGI kids movie) on the BD player HD usually has a slightly more mature movie (keeping with the stores playable move selection.).

duckie42 12-15-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunz4sale (Post 526588)

BB & CC do not work on comission.

alkalinesi 12-15-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob71 (Post 526602)

i agree, i was at best buy lastweek talking to an employee(looking into home theater equipment) he was saying they have been selling a lot of blu ray stand alone players and movies, he said him and the other guys feel blu ray is better and they push that. he said the only time someone buys an hd player is if they come in and say i want the hd player. but this is just my best buy. also, everytime i go there they have their hd display always on the transformers internet menu or somthing, nothing is playing.

Gutter21 12-15-2007 03:20 PM

Your Thread is pointless :mad:
Go complain to the manager

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 03:23 PM

At the BB I worked at similar situations were common, though often it was the other way around. Our BD demo display would be nonfuntional, due to the low quality discs samsung provided for demo content. We had only 5 sections of shelf space for HDM. We either had to choose, use 2 for HDDVD and 3 for BD or 3 for HDDVD and 2 for BD. Either way whichever format had 2 sections, more titles would be "spined". We ended up giving BD 3 sections, because most BB carry more BD title variety (we now have 3 sections for HDDVD and 4 for BD and most every title gets "faced".

Anyways, you should be alot more worried about biased employees pushing the format they want to win, but what can you do? You could just go home and watch a movie instead of concerning yourself with business that's not yours.

MrE 12-15-2007 03:24 PM

It's The End Of The World!!!

http://perso.orange.fr/mdi/images/bc...inator_004.jpg

or maybe its just your local Best Buy and its careless/lazy employees

_

duckie42 12-15-2007 03:25 PM

Gutter21i tried that
do you think the staff at BB or CC are actually paid to care....

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkalinesi (Post 526625)
i agree, i was at best buy lastweek talking to an employee(looking into home theater equipment) he was saying they have been selling a lot of blu ray stand alone players and movies, he said him and the other guys feel blu ray is better and they push that. he said the only time someone buys an hd player is if they come in and say i want the hd player. but this is just my best buy. also, everytime i go there they have their hd display always on the transformers internet menu or somthing, nothing is playing.

At my BB most of the employees, and all of the Magnolia employees, prefer and push HDDVD. I guess it must be different at each store, which is why it's stupid to complain about it. If you want to change what's happenning go get hired at best buy and push your fav format.

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckie42 (Post 526623)

BB and CC sales employees may not work on commission, but the more sales goals the store hits, the more bonuses the managers get. There is also one possible bonus for sales employees at the end of each year. Point being, managers have an incentive to sell what's best for them, and stupid/kiss-ass/overzealous employees will do exactly what the managers say.

SkInWaLkEr 12-15-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirates (Post 526598)
Would you really go out of you way to do that? :confused:

I'm sorry but reporting to Toshiba really isn't going to do anything but prove that you're a crybaby. No offense. lol.

wouldn't the cry from camp Blu be 2-3 louder than the cries from the HD camp? I mean camp Blu is always boasting that systems outnumber HD 3-1 and discs outsell HD 2-1. Therefore the crying and temper tantrums from camp Blu would be 2-3 times louder than HD. The figures just go along with everything BD has going.

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkInWaLkEr (Post 526653)
wouldn't the cry from camp Blu be 2-3 louder than the cries from the HD camp? I mean camp Blu is always boasting that systems outnumber HD 3-1 and discs outsell HD 2-1. Therefore the crying and temper tantrums from camp Blu would be 2-3 times louder than HD. The figures just go along with everything BD has going.

A craybaby is a crybaby, doesn't matter if his shirt is blu or red or purple.

SkInWaLkEr 12-15-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razz-Mataz (Post 526660)
A craybaby is a crybaby, doesn't matter if his shirt is blu or red or purple.

No doubt. Still camp Blu's cries would be 2-3 times louder.

hdfan90 12-15-2007 03:35 PM

I've seen employees push Blu-ray at Circuit City. The people listen to the pitch and seem impressed while watching Chicken Little, then thank the employee and walk away. Too expensive.

DetachableDave 12-15-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

not true. no one (at best buy) get paid more for promoting one product over another, trust me i work for best buy. i will agree with you that our hd dvd displays suck compared to our blue-ray, that has somewhat to do with how the vendors set it up, basically sony tells us which tv and sound system to use with which blue ray playr, so does toshiba, the downside is that sony makes better tvs with faster response times... i hear you though man, if i could change our displays i would in a second.

Teh Purple Avenger8or 12-15-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob71 (Post 526602)

They don't sell twice as many BD players.

rmoody 12-15-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckie42 (Post 526623)

True, but the management still get bonus checks based on sales. Also, there is still much pressure on the sales people to sell the items that have a high markup. They are not stupid at these stores, they know what makes money and what doesn't and they know if they sell nothing but items with little markup, they make little profit, if they sell items with a high markup, they make more profit.

Highwayman 12-15-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Absolutely, the profit margin on an expensive BR player is probably much higher than an HD-DVD player. J6P will buy the less expensive player, all things being "equal". "Equal" won't keep the salesperson from up selling the more expensive BR player with their own brand of fud. That's why I research my purchases first, not relying on a salesman pushing a particular brand to get a higher sales commission.

Rob71 12-15-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or (Post 526680)
They don't sell twice as many BD players.

I was referring to software, but if you have any hardware sales figures by all means provide them.

vektsilver 12-15-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmslives (Post 526589)
:)):)):))

Wah. It's the store, not Best Buy in general. Complain to the store manager.

How can you say that when HD-DVD had its initial lead then the Blu Ray was released the favoritism in the isles was almost immediate despite Blu having yet proved its self. I have seen many best buys be out of stock of HD-DVD stock and then have piles upon piles of Blu Ray players that had a good layer of dust on them. Even with that the store did not shift the focus of there advertising. There is not such a huge market disparity that would deem Blu Ray be better off advertised.

There is clearly an in-store agenda to push HD-DVD to side isle endcaps. Even to the point where they will intentionally hide the product from the average consumer.

Some may ask why even sell it if they are trying to hide it. Well if they didnt maybe Sony could get in trouble with the DOJ for acts of a monopoly. That would have to be based on some sort of incentive or payoff by Sony to Best Buy. Not that Sony has ever been guilty of that before lol.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/200...jul25a_05.html
read that and tell me its not possible Sony is not doing the same thing with Best Buy

Teh Purple Avenger8or 12-15-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob71 (Post 526708)
I was referring to software, but if you have any hardware sales figures by all means provide them.

The SA sales ratios have been posted a million times. They are pretty much the opposite of disc sales.

Teh Purple Avenger8or 12-15-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razz-Mataz (Post 526651)
BB and CC sales employees may not work on commission, but the more sales goals the store hits, the more bonuses the managers get. There is also one possible bonus for sales employees at the end of each year. Point being, managers have an incentive to sell what's best for them, and stupid/kiss-ass/overzealous employees will do exactly what the managers say.

They are also very likely to be like the smurfs here. Hard core PS3/BD fan boys. I've heard employees of BB and CC straight up lie to customers about HDM. On another note I was in Frys and there was a customer trying to buy an HD DVD player and the sales guy didn't have a clue about them. They really need to train these guys a little better.

gemini75 12-15-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razz-Mataz (Post 526643)
At my BB most of the employees, and all of the Magnolia employees, prefer and push HDDVD. I guess it must be different at each store, which is why it's stupid to complain about it. If you want to change what's happenning go get hired at best buy and push your fav format.

So your saying Magnolia have more HD DVD players hooked up than Blu-ray? I wave the BS flag on that. Walk into the Magnolia and look at the screens. They aren't toshiba, they are Pioneer, Sony, Samsung and by contract they aren't authorized to connect anything but the players by the same company to them with the exception of Panasonic as they don't make televisions. If the Magnolia staff is pushing HD DVD it's not in their section. Go back and check the store. Toshiba is only in the main store so if they did push it, they weren't doing their job.

Teh Purple Avenger8or 12-15-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemini75 (Post 526727)
with the exception of Panasonic as they don't make televisions.

Huh? :confused:

chipvideo 12-15-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or (Post 526715)
The SA sales ratios have been posted a million times. They are pretty much the opposite of disc sales.

Was in my local Sams Club yesterday. They had 3 titles for hd dvd and over 50 titles for BD. Kind of hard for hd dvd to get any sales when they are pushing bd in your face. The three titles for hd dvd were Shrek the Third, Bourne Utlimatum and Transformers. Of those titles they had no more than 2 for sale. The BD side had an entire section of blue. They are pushing blu hard. I think sony is paying them for space. I do find it hard to believe that there is very little hd dvd though. I made a complaint form and put in the box.

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetachableDave (Post 526670)
not true. no one (at best buy) get paid more for promoting one product over another, trust me i work for best buy. i will agree with you that our hd dvd displays suck compared to our blue-ray, that has somewhat to do with how the vendors set it up, basically sony tells us which tv and sound system to use with which blue ray playr, so does toshiba, the downside is that sony makes better tvs with faster response times... i hear you though man, if i could change our displays i would in a second.

I worked there too (up until a month ago) and you are nieve or stupid to think that managers don't get paid more for the store doing well. One part of that is margin, and diferent prodeucts (BD players and movies) have more margin, therefore it makes the store more money, and the managers more money. Some managers/sups can make up to 1/4 of their salary in bonuses alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or (Post 526721)
They are also very likely to be like the smurfs here. Hard core PS3/BD fan boys. I've heard employees of BB and CC straight up lie to customers about HDM. On another note I was in Frys and there was a customer trying to buy an HD DVD player and the sales guy didn't have a clue about them. They really need to train these guys a little better.

Most of the employees as smart as me, leave for a better job, or move up and become more interested in bonuses than doing whats TRULY best for the customer.

spacejamz 12-15-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vektsilver (Post 526714)
How can you say that when HD-DVD had its initial lead then the Blu Ray was released the favoritism in the isles was almost immediate despite Blu having yet proved its self. I have seen many best buys be out of stock of HD-DVD stock and then have piles upon piles of Blu Ray players that had a good layer of dust on them. Even with that the store did not shift the focus of there advertising. There is not such a huge market disparity that would deem Blu Ray be better off advertised.

There is clearly an in-store agenda to push HD-DVD to side isle endcaps. Even to the point where they will intentionally hide the product from the average consumer.

Some may ask why even sell it if they are trying to hide it. Well if they didnt maybe Sony could get in trouble with the DOJ for acts of a monopoly. That would have to be based on some sort of incentive or payoff by Sony to Best Buy. Not that Sony has ever been guilty of that before lol.

read that and tell me its not possible Sony is not doing the same thing with Best Buy

are you serious??? the Department of Justice will get in involved with the Best Buy BD displays????

that was pretty damn funny? should I try the veal???

Highwayman 12-15-2007 04:15 PM

[quote=chipvideo;526739]Was in my local Sams Club yesterday. They had 3 titles for hd dvd and over 50 titles for BD. Kind of hard for hd dvd to get any sales when they are pushing bd in your face. The three titles for hd dvd were Shrek the Third, Bourne Utlimatum and Transformers. Of those titles they had no more than 2 for sale. The BD side had an entire section of blue. They are pushing blu hard. I think sony is paying them for space. I do find it hard to believe that there is very little hd dvd though. I made a complaint form and put in the box.[/quote]

Good move, maybe they will listen.

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemini75 (Post 526727)
So your saying Magnolia have more HD DVD players hooked up than Blu-ray? I wave the BS flag on that. Walk into the Magnolia and look at the screens. They aren't toshiba, they are Pioneer, Sony, Samsung and by contract they aren't authorized to connect anything but the players by the same company to them with the exception of Panasonic as they don't make televisions. If the Magnolia staff is pushing HD DVD it's not in their section. Go back and check the store. Toshiba is only in the main store so if they did push it, they weren't doing their job.

I'm talking about in customer interations. There are alot of customers scared to talk to employees (you?) who will be "just looking" and see lots more BD on display, but when a Mag employee is making a sale, and bringing up HDM, all of the employees at my store (including the in home consultants) push HDDVD. Yes you are correct that more Displays of BD are present. Mostly due to the fact that there are more different models of BD player. Our biggest front projector screen (in 1080P) is connected to HDDVD and is ussually running Transformers at the moment.

Razz-Mataz 12-15-2007 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=Highwayman;526752]
Quote:

Originally Posted by chipvideo (Post 526739)
Was in my local Sams Club yesterday. They had 3 titles for hd dvd and over 50 titles for BD. Kind of hard for hd dvd to get any sales when they are pushing bd in your face. The three titles for hd dvd were Shrek the Third, Bourne Utlimatum and Transformers. Of those titles they had no more than 2 for sale. The BD side had an entire section of blue. They are pushing blu hard. I think sony is paying them for space. I do find it hard to believe that there is very little hd dvd though. I made a complaint form and put in the box.[/quote]

Good move, maybe they will listen.

Stupid* move, they wont. Big companies like Sams and BB don't listen to customer or sales associates at a corporate level. They look at numbers and listen to the idiots they hire as buyers for the company.

*the move is stupid (as in waste of your time), not the person so take no offense.

ZebraMajor 12-15-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightyram (Post 526581)

It's just the opposite here in DFW. HD-DVD usually has almost the entire front row while Blu-Ray maybe gets one shelf on the end of the front row and then the part of the back side. Conspiracy averted.

LoveMeSomeHd 12-15-2007 04:54 PM

At my BestBuy I was beaten within an inch of my life for asking were I could find the Hd-Dvd Section. Then I was thrown in the back of a truck and dropped off in garbage can.

chipvideo 12-15-2007 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=Razz-Mataz;526757]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highwayman (Post 526752)

Stupid* move, they wont. Big companies like Sams and BB don't listen to customer or sales associates at a corporate level. They look at numbers and listen to the idiots they hire as buyers for the company.

*the move is stupid (as in waste of your time), not the person so take no offense.

Thats funny. Over the years of buying stuff at either Costco or Sams Club they have indeed listened. Some of my complaints I have filled in the last 10 years they actually listened too and did respond.

rmslives 12-15-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vektsilver (Post 526714)

Don't you think you sound a little paranoid right now? Look - we all KNOW the Sony purchased end cap space at Target, and Target expanded their BD sections so they are larger than the HD DVD sections. Yet, Target (at least the three I shop at fairly regularly) ALSO expanded their HD DVD section, and it's right next to the BD section. So, even with Sony buying space at Target, HD DVD still has a presence.

I can say the exact same thing for the three or four Best Buys I frequent here in Central New York. Circuit City, too, for that matter.

It is in Best Buy's interests to stock both HD DVD and Blu-Ray. Bitching because a certain store sucks at setting up their displays, or sucks at keeping their inventory fresh - that is the individual store's problem, not signs of a Best Buy conspiracy.

I support HD DVD, but am getting sick of all the whining and paranoia on display lately from people who support HD DVD. Buy movies, support your format, and deal with the results.