BB is cranking up the stupid. - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post
Interesting article. The comments section was even better. I agree with the speaking with your wallet idea, I just happen to do it in the opposite fashion. I believe in and WANT B&M stores. I like the idea of walking into a store and walking out with the product I was looking for. As much as I like Amazon it would suck if the internet was the only place i could get product. That's why I still go to places like Best Buy. I give them every chance to get my business. If they can price match close to the cost i would get a product for online then I would rather spend with them. Paying a few dollars more for something I want won't hurt me, and it could eventually help local businesses.
I agree completely. I also agree with the older comment regarding the lack of catalog titles, or content in general at Best Buy. I remember in the late 90's/early 2000's going in every Tuesday and coming out with multiple cd's/items. Now, I still tend to wander in each week/every other week, however simply can't find anything worth buying in most cases. I Want Physical B&M stores, I want to spend money at Best Buy, however when my only option is the same titles week in and week out it's hard to find anything. I still buy alot of pc products from Best Buy... I still buy cd's from Best Buy when they have them in stock... I still prefer to buy movies from Best Buy, but between high prices and lack of interesting titles it's hard to spend as much as I could.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM

I like Best Buy. I bought a clothes dryer a couple of months ago and they delivered it on the 4th of July. Amazing. I have purchased nothing from Amazon yet this year except for a lawn mower from an Amazon Seller, but I enjoy shafting Sears and their crazy higher than ever prices.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
You can't make this stuff up. They've had a good decade to adapt to a changing market that includes places like Amazon and they haven't, at all. Like Borders they've thumbed their noses at "lower prices" and thought that people just wouldn't end up noticing.
that's one of the nicest ways to say "fuck best buy and their shitty, anti-consumer practices" i've seen in some time.

also: FUCK BEST BUY AND THEIR SHITTY, ANTI-CONSUMER PRACTICES. that is all.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 AM

I have no axe to grind one way or the other with Best Buy. I've had good experiences there - particularly with the customer service desk folks in the local store I frequent. That being said, I also have no allegiance to them. I shop around for the product I want at a price I consider good. With or without sales tax is usually not the determining factor of where I buy. But I most assuredly DO look at total price - so a lower price on Amazon with free shipping and no sales tax is likely to get my hard earned dollars. On the other hand, the last large appliance purchase I made (a refrigerator) came from Best Buy (they had a great price on the make/model I wanted, excellent service, free delivery & did a superb job - I even provided lunch money to the delivery guys as a result).
Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have no axe to grind one way or the other with Best Buy. I've had good experiences there - particularly with the customer service desk folks in the local store I frequent. That being said, I also have no allegiance to them. I shop around for the product I want at a price I consider good. With or without sales tax is usually not the determining factor of where I buy. But I most assuredly DO look at total price - so a lower price on Amazon with free shipping and no sales tax is likely to get my hard earned dollars. On the other hand, the last large appliance purchase I made (a refrigerator) came from Best Buy (they had a great price on the make/model I wanted, excellent service, free delivery & did a superb job - I even provided lunch money to the delivery guys as a result).
I bought the BB delivery guys lunch last December when they delivered our new washer and dryer. They delivered it, hooked it up, took the old ones away....all rather quickly and efficently.

I feel the same about BB. I like BB and some of their sale associates....but, as you said Rich86, I dont feel a loyalty to them. However, I do think of going there first for a blu movie or whatever electronic before I shop other places.

I recently did have a bad shopping experience at my local BB (thanks to a very cold, rude, Magnoila rep) to the point where it cost them a $2,000 (cash) sale. Look on the rep's face when I brought the product back in to return...priceless. He was speechless. But I dont see this guy everyday and I rarely talk to him when I am shopping for something in particular so I am not holding it against the store....but he represented the store THIS particular day and he did not do Best Buy any favors in doing so,lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 AM

And this is what happens when you do the exact opposite of what your hired consultant recommends...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...76CY_page.html

"Net income fell 91 percent"
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM

I think the real question is.... as the chain folds, will they have worthwhile sales on their media inventory? The location near me that closed didn't have anything in their media, I think most of it was shipped to another store.
But if you remember Circuit City closing, they had plenty of DVDs on sale.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
I think the real question is.... as the chain folds, will they have worthwhile sales on their media inventory? The location near me that closed didn't have anything in their media, I think most of it was shipped to another store.
But if you remember Circuit City closing, they had plenty of DVDs on sale.
Have to imagine in this day and age someone like Amazon or Wal-Mart will scoop up a bunch of stock cheap. I doubt we will ever see the 75% off deals going forward as more retail chains die.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Most stuff will be gone after 10-20% and the 30-50% off stuff will be mediocre deals that can be replicated elsewhere easily.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM

I hope Best Buy hangs on - I really like watching Best Buy and Fry's go head to head locally . . . makes me a happy customer . .