Is 3D dead yet? - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moepain4u View Post
I attended CES 2015 and omg 3D glassesless 4k and 8k was amazing! 3D without glasses is here (of course no pricing mentioned) it was the only 3D being shown (at least in main hall). I also watched a game being played in 3D 4k without glasses.
Hopefully it's as good as you say. It would be great not to wear glasses and would give 3D a big boost because the glasses thing is why it can't take hold in the marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
25ft back?... It's a higher resolution so you can actually sit closer.
There is limitation in how close you can sit while still taking the whole screen in your field of vision. In order to appreciate 8K resolution over 4K, you actually have to sit closer than that So for watching movies, 8K resolution is overkill. It would be great though for viewing stills where you could get closer to examine a portion of the image.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Glasses free doesn't mean much to me. I believe viable passive 3D is a more important implementation. Sure, there are a few passive 3D TV sets out there, but I would personally like to see more. The biggest reason to go with passive over active is because of the cost of glasses, once you go over a normal number of TV watchers. If you have a 3D movie party or gathering, there has to be enough glasses for everyone. Passive 3D glasses cost a couple bucks a piece, unless you get the really high quality ones. Active, well, it's quite a bit more. The cost of integration into passive 3D televisions is probably a lot more than active, but the initial investment, IMO, would be worth it in the long run.

There still are no good options for passive projection. Running demultiplexers, a special high-gain silver screen, polarizing filters, two projectors, and all of the hoopla you have to jump over right now is a bit extreme.

No matter what, the market mostly controls what options people have available to them.
Its not near as bad as you think it is, I have a Samsung 3D Plasma thats an active display, my glasses were $16 a piece, got a ton of batteries for them super cheap too, its not that expensive at all and they work really nice, havent had any friends or family annoyed or getting headaches or anything from it

the Samsung 8K 3D Glassless TV was some special demo TV I read, I dont think thats anywhere close to mainstream yet, especially with 4K barely taking off yet.

I for one am perfectly fine with what I have, my 3D works nice as it is, its getting to be a chore and a major expense to keep doing these major upgrades so often anymore, tech is changing too damn fast. I already have 500+ Blurays in my collection easy and I dont feel like buying into 4K and all new movies already, especially when the current options look and sound great for the home.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM

These companies need to make up their minds, are glasses free 3D tvs coming or what? We have heard about them for 3 years now. I was gonna buy a 4K tv in the next 2 years but if the glasses free 3D tvs are really coming out I'll wait.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I am all for a great passive tv and there hasn't been much movement on these. You wear passive lenses in the cinema, it only makes sense.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 PM

Yes glassesless 3D tv was very good much better than what I saw the previous two years.

http://techgenmag.com/2015/01/10/ces...ssless-3d-tvs/

I was a little pissed when I first saw the 8k tv because I just bought a 4k 3D TV in Dec. I remember in 2007 or 2008 seeing 4k as a demo (posted about it in CES section) and thought 1080p just came out! I figure another 10 years 8k will start making it into consumers homes. There were 4k 3d glassesless tv's on display and the one from
Qualcomm was the best to me and my friend who could not watch 3d with glasses but was able to watch the glassesless 3d tv.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/seecubi...-really-works/

My wife has been complaining because I've been locked in my man cave for a month watching 3D movies and Netflix 4K (Marco Polo). Good thing I've been married 26 years other wise I would be in trouble! lol
Old 01-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
These companies need to make up their minds, are glasses free 3D tvs coming or what? We have heard about them for 3 years now. I was gonna buy a 4K tv in the next 2 years but if the glasses free 3D tvs are really coming out I'll wait.
None of them would give me a price so I think it will be a few years before they are affordable for the average consumer.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM

8k isn't a good option to have on the table now, or for many years. With each and every new generation of TVs, with higher resolution, it automatically makes previous generations of low res content look bad. VHS, Laserdiscs, analog CATV, and digital SD TV broadcasts all look pretty bad on 1080p TVs. We know 4k is part of the near future, with the UHD Blu-ray format coming out late this year, 4k streaming services now starting to be offered, and satellite/catv providers talking about (or preparing for) 4k channels.

35mm film is usually scanned at 2k or 4k, because even though film doesn't have a resolution, that's what they compare it to. 16mm is scanned at 1k. Some of the newer movies have been shot on 2k digital. Some films are still being shot on 35mm. TV shows and movies that were recorded on tape are also limited to about 480i or 576i resolution.

Console gaming is not capable of full 1080p resolution on high-graphical games yet, much less 4k. PC gaming can be done at 4k, but we're still probably four or six years away from being able to have affordable GPUs and CPUs that can handle 4k gaming at max settings. There are youtube videos, where people claim to have spent $12k, $15k, even $20k, setting up four titans, four radeon 290xs, or two radeon 295x2s, pushing the largest PSUs (in terms of wattage) and most expensive overclocked i7 processors to their limits. With these expensive energy-sucking heaters they've created, they still can't achieve 4k resolution with max settings on many current games.

8k is only viable for 65/70mm (Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, IMAX, etc) film and new films, which were recorded on 70mm or 8k digital. Basically, they would have to create a whole new library of films, just for the format. Are studios ready to start with an almost blank slate? PC and console gaming is nowhere near ready for 8k. So, those things can't be counted on, to support it. 4k, IMO, probably is a good stopping point.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Yes I agree we are a long way away from 8k being standard. Here are videos showing it.

http://youtu.be/P3iLOQNOC2Y

http://youtu.be/oj94IccwnLw

The 4K 3D glassesless looked great too so I will be happy with that when available.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 PM

My favorite 4K tech is the S UHD OLED tv by Samsung. I took this video

http://youtu.be/43kejgP3Ti0
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM

That is NOT an OLED TV. Only LG is forging ahead with OLED. Samdung is forgoing it altogether in 2015 and the foreseeable feature.