Is 3D dead yet? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 PM

Is 3D dead yet?

Every technical aspect at every level of the industry is into 3-D, tooling and re-tooling and upgrading for 3-D.

More and better 3-D is coming.

Eventually 3-D films, home video and television will be so common and so taken for granted it will no longer be singled out as something special.

But I do think audiences would like to see more live action and less CGI, more grown-up films and less kiddie stuff.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
I love my 3DTV at home, I bought the Samsung PN60F5500 60-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma Smart TV and its been great, I have 6 pairs of 3D glasses that cost like $12 each, it is an active TV but its been great and my basement has almost no light so no issues with dimness down there. I can see, depending where your TV is at, that it could be an issue and why people want brighter TVs, but mine was only $1100 and I've added lots of 3D content after I got it and started getting the combo packs before I bought it as well.
I believe the recent Panasonic 3d glasses will work with this model, they are a little better than factory Samsung glasses.
Damn shame Panasonic and Samsung are not going to be making plasma TVs any more.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:50 PM

We never really know how well mainstream 3D will do, both theatrically and in the home. I mean, 3D, as a technology, will always be here, and theatrical 3D has always come back, if we look at the past. We, however, do not have a viable past to look back on, when it comes to consumer 3D. All we had before was anaglyph and field sequential systems that didn't have much more than a few IMAX shorts. It's not like "oh boy, here's Gravity 2 hitting the market" and BAM, another million+ people go out and buy a new 3DTV. With Vizio giving up on the 3D market, we never know how the North American market is going to be in the coming years. It could come to a point where only the European market has it readily available, but little to no support in the US. Eight or ten years down the line, it may re-surge as a viable consumer technology. Then again, it may hang on, as long as a couple tv manufacturers keep supporting it, and not die down at all. Of course, you need content. Disney has all but forsaken the NA 3D market. The future looks grim, BUT don't count it out yet.

Conversions are a big issue for me. If you absolutely have no plans to film in 3D, then maybe a conversion is OK. However, filming in 2D, knowing it will be converted? I understand that with Gravity, the director didn't think 3D cameras would work in the tight spaces they were filming, and they did test conversions before committing to shooting it in 2D. That's OK, I suppose, but directors seem to be going the way of not even considering shooting in real 3D any more.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:24 AM

3D is not so popular in homes because 3d tv and 3d blu rays are expensive. If 3D DVDs were available it would be more popular. There was a 3D DVD movie my bloody Valentine 3d released in 2009 so i know DVDs can also do 3d movies but why were no other movies released in 3d dvd format? 3d dvds dont even require a 3dtv or 3d player rather the passive glasses are bundled with the movie dvd itself.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 AM

DVD cannot do active 3D actually. My Bloody Valentine on DVD is the old red/blue type 3D.

Agreed though, 3D releases need to start coming down in price.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 AM

It's not the price. People don't care about 3D. They don't want to wear glasses and for many people the 3D makes them feel ill. It's one thing to see it occasionally, at a theater. It's another thing to watch it all the time.

Once there is 3D without the need for glasses then it may take off. Not until then.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM

More than that, I recently watched part of a 3D movie at a friends house on his 60in LED Samsung.. it just seemed pointless without a projection set up like mine lol.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM

CES last two years had 3D without glasses it was nice but you had to stand at correct angle to view 3D. The best 3D at CES was the one where two people can watch two different shows on the same screen. The different 3D setups at CES is always the best. I have an LG 3D tv and love it, I turn on 3D for my Xbox One games even though it's not full 3D the games look better. Cox Contour has more 3D channels than Direct TV including HBO 3D. Just keep bringing the cost down and more people will buy.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM

With or without glasses no one cares
3d is a very niche market.
Even if all televisions included 3D it would not be that popular.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM

I like watching the 50's 3D movies in 3D. Really adds a lot to the experience. Movies like Inferno, The Bubble, House of Wax, etc. Also movies like Frozen, Madagascar 3, Gravity, Tangled and T.S. Spivet are greatly enhanced by the 3D effect.

I agree though the glasses part is the stumbling block. Nobody in my household wants to wear them.