Is 3D dead yet? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM

If you're looking for insider information I doubt this is the place to have a rumor confirmed.

IMO the 3D home market is slowly suffocating in the US. In the Movie theaters it is slightly better.

I have a 3d plasma tv, incredible picture with movies done right. Problem is a lot of recent movies we had looked forward to seeing in 3D in our home are not making it to the home video market.
The TV can convert 2d to 3d and sometime it looks good but the lack of content is disappointing.

The Hobbit movies, Avatar, Pacific Rim, just to name a few off the top of my head, look incredible, and we want more but it seems like it is harder to find as time goes on.

IMO it is because studios and the electronic manufactures are not in sync as they were in the format war. Also studios are not being paid/reimbursed to produce the content.
I think both are looking to find a new standard to be the cash cow.

3D makes a lot of money in the theaters, and makes sense to the studios there. at home video it cost more to manufacture but is in reality a slim fraction of video sales.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM

What about video games? Are companies still making games in 3D for the XBOX ONE and PS4? Gears of War 3 for the XBOX 360 was absolutely incredible in 3D.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Just looked on amazon.ca quickly and it seems like 3D movies on pre-order are still doing well. The new X-Men and Captain America 3D pre-orders are doing better than their 2D counter-parts.

You just gotta give blu-ray 3D some time to grow. Myself, I was negative on the idea of 3D and thought it was just a stupid gimmick...until I finally witnessed the magnificence of it with my own eyes.
Personally, I don't think 3D is going anywhere for a long time. You can get some really good 3D TVs for $1000 or less now. As the price keeps dropping, more people will buy.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
What about video games? Are companies still making games in 3D for the XBOX ONE and PS4? Gears of War 3 for the XBOX 360 was absolutely incredible in 3D.
I'm not sure about the games but the ps4 and xbox one should be adding 3d playback this month. So that adds to the number of 3d players out there.

In my personal experience it seems the domestic 3d market has gotten worse since I got my 3d tv. I'd like 3d to become in demand enough so the 3d version is isncluded in the combo pack for every movie. BUt the actions of studios like Disney seem like they are not as eager to push the format.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM

While 3D may not be as popular as the industry originally wanted it to be Almost all of Hollywood output that was intended to be in 3D is being released in 3D for the home (Either BD3D or UV) with only a small handful of exceptions. Also I believe most manufacturers continue to produce 3DTV and projectors for the home. In fact the only manufacturer that is shying away from 3D currently is Vizio. Also most Bluray players (the ones that you would want to pay any attention to that aren't rubbish) are 3D capable as well as all the current big video game players PS4 and Xbox1. So no I dont believe the sky is falling as some may suggest.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM

My biggest gripe with 3D is the conversions. IMO if they don't film in 3D, don't bother. I've gotten to where I prefer the 2D versions of things which came out in 3D, namely the Marvel movies. I expect a little wow with 3D, not to forget I'm watching a 3D movie after 15 minutes.

3D done right is a sight to behold though, I wouldn't ever want to see Pacific Rim or Avatar in 2D(especially Avatar).

I would like more video games in 3D, I played a little Arkham City in 3D, it was a blast!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post

I would like more video games in 3D, I played a little Arkham City in 3D, it was a blast!
I tried gaming in 3D but usually don't, looks like I'll give Arkham City a try
Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 PM

I think the only 3D games I've tried were Killzone 3 and Crysis 2. In Killzone, it was OK, but I found it (the 3D) a bit distracting online. In Crysis 2, the experience was pretty good. It's too bad there weren't a lot more 3D games released. The gamecube actually had a 3D chip in it, and a 3D monitor was planned for it but scrapped. Several games that were released were apparently 3D-compatible too, but no one knew it at the time, and it's likely no one would've been able to do anything with it either way. You can see some of the 3D stuff with the Dolphin emulator. I've not personally tried it myself, however. Youtube probably has some 3D gameplay though.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM

I love my 3DTV at home, I bought the Samsung PN60F5500 60-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma Smart TV and its been great, I have 6 pairs of 3D glasses that cost like $12 each, it is an active TV but its been great and my basement has almost no light so no issues with dimness down there. I can see, depending where your TV is at, that it could be an issue and why people want brighter TVs, but mine was only $1100 and I've added lots of 3D content after I got it and started getting the combo packs before I bought it as well.

I'm a big fan of properly done 3D and it is a shame that we've had too many Clash/Wrath of the Titan type movies/conversions that suck. But when something like Jurassic Park gets converted WAY later and its awesome to watch all over again in 3D, I love it and cant wait for others to see it. So it can be done and to great effect if done properly, another prime example is The Amazing Spiderman 2, great 3D in that one throughout the whole movie (as the review here talks about) and it was a conversion.

If I go see anything in the theater its usually in IMAX 3D, The Hobbit films in HFR 3D have been stunning and I wish more film makers would embrace 3D AND HFR because it works wonders together
Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM

I hope 3D isn't dead yet. I just picked up twelve 3D BD titles during the past week. 3D got me to re-embrace watching discs again over the last 21 months.

Ever since I picked up a Mitsubishi 82" DLP set on closeout at the end of 2012, I've been watching a bunch of 3D content. Although my Sammy 2008 LED DLP set was 3D capable, I never bothered to try out any 3D content until I got the Mitsubishi. WIth the BT active glasses I don't have to worry about line of sight. And it looks much better than Passive 3D from the LG LCD set I also own.

I've tried a couple of games in 3D. That is something I do not like. I will stick with movies. Whether they are converted or in native 3D it doesn't matter to me. AS long as I forget I am watching it in 3D, that is what I consider a good 3D movie. For instance Avatar and Gravity. Even the Marvel movies I enjoyed in 3D.