Dishnetwork and MPEG-4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Dishnetwork and MPEG-4

I work for a teleco and we have a partnership with Dishnetwork. We are sending out information to our customers that the HD networks available from Dish are going to start being MPEG-4. We are offering free upgrades to the newest receivers to facilitate this.

My question is, "So what?" What difference is this going to make? Should this make me happy as an HD subscriber?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasquidd View Post
I work for a teleco and we have a partnership with Dishnetwork. We are sending out information to our customers that the HD networks available from Dish are going to start being MPEG-4. We are offering free upgrades to the newest receivers to facilitate this.

My question is, "So what?" What difference is this going to make? Should this make me happy as an HD subscriber?
Then you telco is sending out some pretty dated information - I upgraded my Dish receiver to mpeg4 last summer. A few of the HD channels are still available in mpeg2, but to get the expanded list of HD channels - including the old Voom HD channels - you've had to have an mpeg4 receiver for over a year.

But, to answer your question mpeg4 does almost nothing for the customer. What it does is with the improved compression it uses less bandwidth - which only benefits Dish as they can squeeze in more channels.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Then you telco is sending out some pretty dated information - I upgraded my Dish receiver to mpeg4 last summer. A few of the HD channels are still available in mpeg2, but to get the expanded list of HD channels - including the old Voom HD channels - you've had to have an mpeg4 receiver for over a year.

But, to answer your question mpeg4 does almost nothing for the customer. What it does is with the improved compression it uses less bandwidth - which only benefits Dish as they can squeeze in more channels.
ahhhh.... correction. the remaining MPEG-2 Voom channels are converting over to MPEG 4 which means the old receivers won't work anymore. Thank you Cochise.. reading is good.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Two new Dish satellites are launching next month for HD.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasquidd View Post
ahhhh.... correction. the remaining MPEG-2 Voom channels are converting over to MPEG 4 which means the old receivers won't work anymore. Thank you Cochise.. reading is good.
I have 1 old receiver, what are they going to do??
Better be a free upgrade
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I have 1 old receiver, what are they going to do??
Better be a free upgrade
No shit!