Cable Television Satisfaction Up Overall - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Default Cable Television Satisfaction Up Overall

Boy, this sure isn't MY experience, but here's what they're saying:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009219
Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM

I'm about ready to ditch my provider
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM

This is bullshit IMO pure and simple-Comcast and Warner most likely found a way to manipulate these results or limit the sample because I don't know a single person with anything good to say about either one.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Even if there's still tons of unhappy people, that doesn't mean it's impossible for the satisfaction to go up from last year. It just means there was even more unhappy people last year, which I definitely think is feasible.

From a personal stand point, I've had more HD channels and more on-demand options added in the past year for no extra charge. Because of that alone I'd say I'm more satisfied this year compared to last year. I'm still not exactly 'happy' with my service, though.

What I found interesting is that the amount of people using Video-on-Demand actually declined compared to last year! What happened to this whole "VOD is going to destroy Blu-ray sales" argument?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

My cable company is very bad. Most of the time the HD is not working, they don't have a DVR, and TIVO HD doesn't work because the company doesn't have cable cards. We cannot install a dish, so we have to stay with that cable provider which has a contract with our rental managment.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Default Opiate of the (m)asses

The satisfaction survey seems to focus on items like outages and response. Most cable customers are oblivious to technical details and HD selection; as long as their reality TV crap keeps coming down the pipe uninterrupted, they're satisfied.

I am in the process of finally giving Comcast the boot...well, for cable TV, but now I'm on their teat for broadband and can download ALL THE CONTENT I WANT....as long as I don't exceed 250GB in a month. M*****F****R!!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 PM

In August I got rid of cable. 20 minutes ago ordrered the Kowatec Indoor antenna from their website ______________________

after I read the glowing review from HOME THEATER on its link.

THAT review did it for me. $35 + $9.00 shipping = $44.00 (no tax)
I was paying way more than that for just one month of compressed(720p)
service even on 1080i stations in my area(NYC). I have confidence I did the right thing. User reviews also convinced me. Was using the Terk indoor (spaceship) antenna and got mediocre service, hopelfully the Kowatec will do the job.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankRoss View Post
In August I got rid of cable. 20 minutes ago ordrered the Kowatec Indoor antenna from their website ______________________

after I read the glowing review from HOME THEATER on its link.

THAT review did it for me. $35 + $9.00 shipping = $44.00 (no tax)
I was paying way more than that for just one month of compressed(720p)
service even on 1080i stations in my area(NYC). I have confidence I did the right thing. User reviews also convinced me. Was using the Terk indoor (spaceship) antenna and got mediocre service, hopelfully the Kowatec will do the job.
Mmmm. That's a omni-directional (all directions) antenna; usually directional antennas work better for digital broadcasts, unless your broadcast towers are scattered around in all directions. Also, it's UHF only (channels 14-69, hopefully you don't have any channels on VHF (channels 2-13); our Tucson ABC affiliate switched back to VHF channel 9 after the digital switch over.

antennaweb.org is a good place to start - go can input your street address and it will tell you what broadcast stations are out there, what directions their towers are, and what channel they broadcast on.

Yeah, free over the air broadcast TV is great, more than enough TV for me.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Ditching cable and going with the DTVPal DVR + Popcorn Hour was the best move I've made in years.