Star Wars on HBO HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Star Wars on HBO HD

Did anyone watch it last week? They showed all of the Star Wars films in HD, episode 1 to 6. I watched A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and they looked amazing in HD. I wish Lucas would release these on either BD or HD-DVD soon. I'm only wishing of course.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Cinemax HD ran them also. I know, same company.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Empire is on HBO HD right now!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

i honestly cant tell from the hd and standard dvd sometimes. The films have all be re done in cg and when in hd they seem so "fake" looking, i do knwo they are clearer.

if anything they would come on blu ray since fox owns the rights, unless lucasfilm makes both which i doubt
Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth crimsonx View Post
i honestly cant tell from the hd and standard dvd sometimes. The films have all be re done in cg and when in hd they seem so "fake" looking, i do knwo they are clearer.

if anything they would come on blu ray since fox owns the rights, unless lucasfilm makes both which i doubt
I compared the SDs with the HD and also did not see much difference.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Thats the whole problem with lucas, in my opinion he ruined episode 4-6 by redoing them and then adding cgi in some scenes. I know he wanted to full fill his vision, but he messed up a classic so much so,he actually brought back the originals in original form last year, the one in the metal tin.

If he does a hd or blu ray he should do them all in one shot and remaster episode 1-3 from the source and for episode 4-6 he should do what they did to casablanca and leave it to their native aspect ratio.

Not to go off topic, but i rather see lord of the rings on hd dvd instead of star wars.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth crimsonx View Post
If he does a hd or blu ray he should do them all in one shot and remaster episode 1-3 from the source and for episode 4-6 he should do what they did to casablanca and leave it to their native aspect ratio.
They have never not been in their OAR. Are you talking about the non-anamorphic re-issues?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 PM

yeah the re re issues the originals that dont even have 5.1 surround sound. he should restore them on high def. There is something about the originals being preserved.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
They have never not been in their OAR. Are you talking about the non-anamorphic re-issues?
As far as I knew the showings on HBO were OAR, but the "original" trilogy (first version) has yet to be released in OAR (unless the LD definitive edition was OAR)
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM

i believe george lucas did release the "original" untouched along with the remastered versions as well in that tin case. Im positive, i remember putting them in my dvd player and seeing a 4x3 aspect ration and no surround sound.

Its weird going back to those when we are used to the new dvd masters lol