Anyone have Fios? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Formerly Acerone

Default Anyone have Fios?

Last I heard we should be getting it in late July or early August. Anyone here have it and how do you like the PQ on the HD channels?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

We're beginning to get it here but the TV is through DirecTV.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Special Member

BuyHDOnline,

I really hate to send you to another forum(s) but for this discussion there are well established threads\forums at AVS and dslreports. From what I have heard PQ is very good as most of the channels are digital, and FIOS has a good selection of HD Programming. here are the links

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590208

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv
Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 AM

I too am waiting for Fios to get here. I am in Central NJ. Next town over has it,hope it wont be long. From what I have been reading SD and HD picture quality is fantastic. I have Direct TV right now and cannot wait to change.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 AM

A friend of mine just got FIOS. I was very impressed with the picture quality of SD. it looked much better than the Optimum I have now. Plus, they have more HD channels and will probably grow faster than other companies (except directv)
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM

I got FIOS and I'm Northern NJ for several months now. The picture quality is great no doubt but I honestly can't tell if it was any better than IO Cablevision. I was using component cables with my cable boxes (which already looked great BTW) before where as I'm using HDMI with the FIOS right now. I bet that if I was using HDMI with my cable boxes, the resolution would be the same since IO is all digital too.

Now as far as the INTERNET is concerned, at 20/5 speeds, FIOS rocks hands down!!!! I'm glad I made the switch!!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 PM

I have Fios tv/internet. I had Comcast TV and it was ok. I cannot see much difference between the two in the HD area. Both are transmitting at 1080i and the pictures look pretty much the same. The real proof of the pudding will be when they roll out more hd content. I expect that fios should be able to roll it out quicker as they have a larger bandwidth going than cable. Cable will have to increase/improve their equipment whereas fios has already prepared itself for the future. So we shall see. As for now, there just isnt enough hd available. I see that some channels say they are available in HD but no one is carrying them yet. Like SciFi, and SPike. Then again new channels get added all the time without any announcements. It is just too slow of a roll out.

But as far as internet is concerned, fios has it hands down.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnakeSSS View Post
I have Fios tv/internet. I had Comcast TV and it was ok. I cannot see much difference between the two in the HD area. Both are transmitting at 1080i and the pictures look pretty much the same. The real proof of the pudding will be when they roll out more hd content. I expect that fios should be able to roll it out quicker as they have a larger bandwidth going than cable. Cable will have to increase/improve their equipment whereas fios has already prepared itself for the future. So we shall see. As for now, there just isnt enough hd available. I see that some channels say they are available in HD but no one is carrying them yet. Like SciFi, and SPike. Then again new channels get added all the time without any announcements. It is just too slow of a roll out.

Comcast must really have limited bandwidth then, because whenever they roll out a new HD channel, it always takes the place of an existing channel.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnakeSSS View Post

Question about install...the brochure says they do it for free but does that include running cable from the pole? I'm trying to convince my parents to get it (Cablevision IO in Central NJ sucks..bad) because the HD channels on the cable we have right now constantly have picture drop outs. The thing is they would have to dig up the front lawn because the house is too far back from the road to just run a line from pole to house. Would they charge for that? Or does free installation include everything that might have to be done?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Question about install...the brochure says they do it for free but does that include running cable from the pole? I'm trying to convince my parents to get it (Cablevision IO in Central NJ sucks..bad) because the HD channels on the cable we have right now constantly have picture drop outs. The thing is they would have to dig up the front lawn because the house is too far back from the road to just run a line from pole to house. Would they charge for that? Or does free installation include everything that might have to be done?
Your best bet is to contact Verizon FIOS with your inquiry. I didn't have that problem since they only run the cable from the post to my house. Anyway, here is a good site to check info on FIOS.