WWE Preps Switch to HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Default WWE Preps Switch to HD

New story up at TV Week where they discuss WWE going High Def. Check it out http://tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=729

I personaly think this is a big move and I wonder what format WWE will put their disks out to. Will they choose Blu-ray or HD DVD? Or possibly they wont make that step and only air in High Def.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 AM

That would be interesting. WWE has a large following, and if they put out their DVD's on only BR or only HDDVD it would influence sales a little I would think.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Sonic View Post
That would be interesting. WWE has a large following, and if they put out their DVD's on only BR or only HDDVD it would influence sales a little I would think.
I would think so. Their DVD releases actually do fairly well in sales. I'm sure as more people move on to the HD disks that could definately spark some sales. I see more of an oportuinity for them though going the Blu-Ray route saleswise since the PS3 fits in with their main fan base, but then again Sony needs to also get a lot more systems in homes.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 PM

I don't know what format they would release in, or even if there are any plans to, but my guess is if they were to release in high def, it would only be Wrestlemania. With pay per view buys fluctuating depending on the buildup, lineup, and quality of each one, the only real guarantee of a bestseller is WM. I suppose the other "big ones" like SummerSlam and Royal Rumble could be possibilities as well, but knowing WWE they will want to stick with the only sure-thing.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Don't they first need to go into widescreen?
Here in Aus it is still 4:3, is it the same over there?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

I would think they would go HD DVD because they know a good portion of their fan base can not afford to pay the prices being asked for Blu-ray players. Also they would have the XBox 360 tie in and could have some media center releases. And since TNA Wrestling has already sides with Microsoft with the release of TNA iMPACT! on XBL I could see WWE wanting to take from that fan base.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM

I may be in the minority here, but...
I used to be a HUGE WWF fan. Yes, I said WWF, not WWE. this was before the whole wildlife federation fiasco thing.

Anyway... I used to love the characters... Hulk, Randy Macho Man Savage, Jake the Snake, The Sheik, Andre the Giant, the Ultimate Warrior, Hawk and Animal, etc.

But in the past decade I just can't seem to get into it. My comment is that, I know a lot of people like me who have just kind of "grown" out of it. Please note that's NOT a disparaging remark to those who still watch it and enjoy the enteratinment of it. However, I just don't see the popularity of it as I did before.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
I may be in the minority here, but...
I used to be a HUGE WWF fan. Yes, I said WWF, not WWE. this was before the whole wildlife federation fiasco thing.

Anyway... I used to love the characters... Hulk, Randy Macho Man Savage, Jake the Snake, The Sheik, Andre the Giant, the Ultimate Warrior, Hawk and Animal, etc.

But in the past decade I just can't seem to get into it. My comment is that, I know a lot of people like me who have just kind of "grown" out of it. Please note that's NOT a disparaging remark to those who still watch it and enjoy the enteratinment of it. However, I just don't see the popularity of it as I did before.
Agreed that recently things are not great for WWE. The best was the mid to late 90's. But you have to give them props for having three seperate programs with their own tallent for each program. They still get very good raitings and have alot of fans. And Wrestling DVD's almost always debute in the top ten under sprots titles.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I can get into it in spots... sometimes its just plain stupid. Its a soap opera for guys plain and simple. I hope it goes HD in general just for the sake that it would drive a lot more people to the HD market, and thats a win for all of us.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Sonic View Post
I can get into it in spots... sometimes its just plain stupid. Its a soap opera for guys plain and simple. I hope it goes HD in general just for the sake that it would drive a lot more people to the HD market, and thats a win for all of us.
I compleatly agree.