Heroes S3 broadcast questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Heroes S3 broadcast questions

I don't watch TV much so I just have crappy analog cable. Heroes is starting on NBC on the 22nd. If I get "rabbit ears" can I see Heroes in HD? How can I tell if they are even broadcasting in digital yet here? What is a good cheap antenae I could use if this is the case?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 AM

Dude....They're doing away with analog signals in February. Save yourself the money. There are alternate means of watching TV shows
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
Dude....They're doing away with analog signals in February. Save yourself the money. There are alternate means of watching TV shows
No shit Sherlock. Thats what I am trying to do is save money and get free HD instead of spending a fortune on cable. Anyways I found my answers here.http://forums.highdefdigest.com/hdtv...t-free-hd.html

I'm going to buy one of these as soon as RadioShack opens up.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 AM

I've used bunny ears (some 10 yr old ones from forever ago) to pick up HDTV channels OTA. You don't need any special antenna to do it. If NBC is broadcast in HD in your area, you'll be able to pick it up without spending any money if you do have some bunny ears laying around.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
I've used bunny ears (some 10 yr old ones from forever ago) to pick up HDTV channels OTA. You don't need any special antenna to do it. If NBC is broadcast in HD in your area, you'll be able to pick it up without spending any money if you do have some bunny ears laying around.
I checked some website with a chart that recommendes type of antenna needed for my location and it looks like I need something better than just rabbit ears. If it doesn't work I can always take it back. I'm hoping it might pick up some channels from Canada since its just across the lake.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Sorry Jungle! I know I don't receive jack in HD over the air so it's something I've never looked into. I feel you though, when I get my own apartment or house I don't see myself paying for digital cable since I rarely watch broadcast tv.

The only shows I care about are Smallville, Heroes, and Supernatural so I can see myself just waiting and buying the BD releases when they street.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I checked some website with a chart that recommendes type of antenna needed for my location and it looks like I need something better than just rabbit ears. If it doesn't work I can always take it back. I'm hoping it might pick up some channels from Canada since its just across the lake.
Did you check who owns said website (whois lookups can be helpful)? Wouldn't be surprised if it were a CE big on selling antennae.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM

I dunno this was the site http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx. I'm pretty far outside the city and away from the towers. I just need something to hold me over until FIoS gets here. That antenna costs less than one month of cable.

Last edited by junglalien; 09-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM

Run by the CEA... May be a .org but the agenda of the CEA is to make more money for CE's. If you have some bunny ears, give them a shot first at picking up NBC. Another thing you might try, is plugging your cable directly into your TV and have your TV scan to see if your cable company is already providing these channels for you. I know with my cable plan, "digital cable" isn't explicitly included (which means I simply don't get a digital box), but my TV grabs many of the HD channels (in higher numbers like 89.300 for example).
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Ya my cable is plugged straight in my TV. Good idea I haven't scanned channels in awhile maybe something new is up. I should drop this Time Warner garbage all togther though.
EDIT: well I justs scanned came up with some digital channels but they don't look much better than the NTSC.

CBS & NBC say 1080i HD 16:9 but they aren't widescreen and have black bars on the side.

Now PBS says the same thing 1080i HD 16:9 and its wide screen but its stretched and looks like shit.

I want to see what an antenna does...

Last edited by junglalien; 09-14-2008 at 10:38 AM.