True Blood - HBO's new Vampire show. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 AM

Default True Blood - HBO's new Vampire show.

Buddy of mine told me about this new show he saw this week... "True Blood" on HBO. Said it was pretty Cool and to check it out. I only have basic Cable on Comcast so I downloaded the episode and checked it out... Good Stuff!! Probably one of the best Vampire shows I've ever seen... I hated the WB's "Buffy", "Angel" and all those cheesy CW shows for teens and tweens on television.. this one rocked.

Funny thing too because he coulda just told me it has Graphic Nudity, Sex, Violence, Vampires and Anna Paquin and that's all he'd ever have to say.. I'm sold!! Good 1'st episode though... I highly recommend it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM

im gonna download it right now i was sold at nudity lol jk hope its good
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 AM

Great show, looks very promising. It is fantastic to see a serious vampire drama, especially made by HBO which almost always delivers mature content. Frankly, this week has been real good in terms of television programming with both True Blood and Fringe debuting.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up.I'm d/l the first 2 eps now.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 AM

yeah I almost made a thread about this show too.
I really like Anna Paquin so I am all over this show too.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM

I sure didn't see any potential based on the first episode but HBO series are usually so good that I expected a lot. I don't get HBO, I just watched this one with the free preview from DirecTV last weekend so I won't likely ever know if the show does become very good. It appears that it will be closer to "Alien Nation" than "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", but clearly it borrows from both. There will always be demand for shows with attractive 20 something females and gratuitous sex, so a winning formula is in place.

Chris
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I sure didn't see any potential based on the first episode but HBO series are usually so good that I expected a lot. I don't get HBO, I just watched this one with the free preview from DirecTV last weekend so I won't likely ever know if the show does become very good. It appears that it will be closer to "Alien Nation" than "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", but clearly it borrows from both. There will always be demand for shows with attractive 20 something females and gratuitous sex, so a winning formula is in place.

Chris
I never personally got into Buffy myself, just a bit too over the top for my taste. I was first thinking like you, that it was more about "integration" than vampire lore, but having watched the makings of and so on, I think it is actually going to have a lot in common with more traditional vampire movies, ie. the historical aspect due to how long they lived through flashbacks - and it seems that though they integrated, that is really only part of the story since many vampires did not want to integrate and still live by the old rules - which allows a lot of the more traditional vampire mechanic to be in place. Plus they left it somewhat open about what kind of powers a vampire could have, especially the older ones - so there is a lot of room for development there, as well.

In short,I would say it has more in common perhaps with the "Vampire Lestat" mythology than "Alien Nation", with the vampires coming out.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Setting is decent, actors are all enjoyable and intriqing, and I frankly think it's a departure from most Vampire Dramas where they're "Out of the Coffin" so-to-speak, given that a synthetic blood was introduced called "True Blood".. (not that anyone expects them not to tear apart people...) but I always disliked the Buffy-esgue Vampire shows because it turned it from "Realistic" to Hokey and Comedic. I dont think anyone has ever gotten scared watching a Buffy episode unless they're Five. The last "Good" Vampire show I've seen would probably have to be "Dark Shadows." And that's going back a ways.. Buffy was to Dracula what Austin Powers was to James Bond. Lets get back to the Gore and Blood and Sexual nature... Vampires are generally one of the Sexiest Genres ever created, and here's Buffy during the children's hour... forgetaboutit... I'm personally psyched for the next episode, (which plays every Sunday Night.)
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

Buffy kicked ass.

It was never meant to be scary though. It was supposed to be a mix of action, comedy, and drama, and at that it suceeded wonderfully. It wrote and developed characters that are more 3-dimensional then 99% of other television shows.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Buffy was one of my favorite shows, and angel too.. buffy had lots of sex related stories, hell buffy slept with atleast 4 of the main characters, and did you not see Willow turn lesbo? Her and her girlfreind where naked together in a good few episodes, i say buffy was pretty graphic for being on the channel it was... I dont really think it was for kids to be honest