ABC HD problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Default ABC HD problems

I wanted to know if anyone else is having audio problems with ABC HD broadcasts? I watched Harry Potter, NBA Basketball, and Lost this week on ABC HD and all three broadcasts had audio that would cut in and out. Lost got so bad that at one point there was some sort of background noise for a few minutes and I thought my sound system had taken a crap. Just trying to get a feel for who I should be complaining to: Dishnetwork or ABC.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Chicago Bulls vs Miami Heat game came in phenomenaly in HD. I'm not sure if that was the game you were having problems with but I didn't have any sound issues while watching it. And oh was it sweet watching Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, Andres Nocioni, Tyrs Thomas, & Ben Wallace hand it to Miami in HD. Wish HD was around when MJ played. And speaking of MJ... how long before we see the IMAX "Michael Jordan to the Max" hit HD DVD or Blu-ray?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Just about the only show I watched on ABC these days is Lost. And every week there are problems. I figured it was just my local (Houston, TX) cable company that was crappy, but maybe not huh?

Every week, without fail, at about 9:50-53 there will be a point where the audio'll cut out for 10 seconds or so. Since it's around the end of the show they're usually at a nice pivotal scene -- perfect time for the sound to cut out. And yes, last week was especially bad with the clicking for a good five minutes.

Why does a professional TV broadcaster have seemingly so many problems with this? :'(

CBS has problems too. Last week during How I Met Your Mother there were a LOT of image problems. After about 5 minutes of craziness it switched to the standard def windowboxed image while they fixed it (and later switched it back).
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Ditto, and I'm in Houston too. It's gotten so bad that every week when I tune in for my beloved Lost I wonder what ridiculous crap ABC has in store for me. What's even more maddening is how great it looks and sounds until they screw it up. If it was awful all the time at least it wouldn't be so frustrating.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM

I do have to say that my HD signal cut out durring the Super Bowl and durring the season opener of "24". Those both realy upset me!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 AM

Default ABC / Lost

Tonight was ESPECIALLY bad. Right at a pivotal moment at the end of the episode, RIGHT as an important piece of dialogue is delivered... sound drops. For 5 seconds but it was very upsetting.

What is with all the problems in HD broadcasting? I know it's a new thing but these guys aren't exactly new at the TV biz.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 AM

It's possible it could be a local issue. Our NBC HD channel here is TERRIBLE because our local cable operators do not know what they are doing! Sometimes they forget to switch from the local feed to the national, HD feed, so we have to watch shows in craptastic 480i.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Default ABC Hi-Def Does Suck

I have Time-Warner in NYC and the clicking is unbearable on Lost. Almost every week. It can't be local it has to be on the National level. My wife also said Ugly Betty and Dancing With Stars had it also.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Megasquidd;115286]I wanted to know if anyone else is having audio problems with ABC HD broadcasts? I watched Harry Potter, NBA Basketball, and Lost this week on ABC HD and all three broadcasts had audio that would cut in and out. Lost got so bad that at one point there was some sort of background noise for a few minutes and I thought my sound system had taken a crap. Just trying to get a feel for who I should be complaining to: Dishnetwork or ABC.[/QUOTE=Megasquidd;115286]

During the Nascar race Saturday there was no sound at all. I was wondering what was going on.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM

I only have issues (with any Network) when Canadian Networks SimSub's it.