Survivor HD: stretch-o-vision? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Question Survivor HD: stretch-o-vision?

So I saw a trailer last night for the new season of Survivor, which is being touted as High Def. The teaser showed shot of the show, where the foreground text was all in sharp HD, but the actual video was nasty stretch-o-vision...

I was really looking forward to HD Survivor...does anyone know if this will be truly high def or horrible stretch-o-vision?

-FR
Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM

From what I've read the new season of Survivor will be true, non-stretched High Def.

It's possible that some of the cameras used won't be HD and in that case I could see them stretching the 4X3 SD stuff (I'd assume it wouldn't be much).... it's also possible that some of the footage will be 16X9 SD.... It's not uncommon for programs to try and keep one unified aspect ratio and with the mixture of SD, HD and 4X3 and 16X9 some footage might be stretched....

It's also possible that your affiliate stretched the image themselves.... does your local CBS display other material in 4X3 or do they stretch that as well.

then again, I haven't seen any of this so I wouldn't actually no anything for certain.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM

When does Survivor start? I've been waiting for them to show Survivor in HD for 5 years.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 AM

It is true hi-def. CBS is one of those networks that has select programming in HD, and that basically means that you'll see commercials for the HD stuff during shows that are standard, which could result in a stretched commercial. The program is true hi-def, and man, am I looking forward to it. I've been watching since day one when Richard really was the perfect castaway (because he made it interesting).

The new season starts September 25.