Directv or Dish Network? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Directv or Dish Network?

im really considering getting a satellite dish but not sure which 1 to choose from? if you own any plz tell me pros and cons from your experience wit either. plz dont be bias.. i remember having directv bout 10 yrs ago and never really had problems wit it exceot for when it stormed real bad.. ill like to know which has better sports packages and hd channels..
Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Banned

Both Direct TV and Dish Network are good for consumers that do not have access to master broadcasts like Verizon FIOS.
Verizon FIOS does not reduce the bit rate on their HD channels like Dish and Direct TV. Even though Verizon 100% fiber network has more bandwidth then Dish, Direct TV, and Comcast combined they currently do not offer as many channels as satellite. Verizon claims 150 or more HD channels by years end. Both mini dish systems experience rain fade during heavy cloud cover or rain fall sometimes. At one time Dish Network had more channel capacity then Direct TV. Direct TV now has more channel capacity with satellite receivers being able to view 7 satellites at a time where as Dish Network satellite receivers can only view 4 satellites at a time. Also Direct TV has a dual tuner HD DVR where as Dish Networks DVR satellite receiver has one HD tuner and one SD tuner.
Over the years things can change and perhaps one day Dish will have more channel capacity, but right now Direct TV has more capacity. Many people prefer the sports packages on Direct TV. Dish Network was the first satellite provider to offer a select few movies in 1080P. Direct TV will soon follow. I wish someday that Direct TV and Dish Network would try and merge again. A merger would be ideal in terms of increased channel capacity.

Some of the reasons I currently like Direct TV over Dish Network

1. Currently more Christian channels to choose from with Direct TV
2. Currently more HD channels with Direct TV
3. Direct TV Satellite receiver can view up to 7 satellites at a time versus Dish Network only 4 satellites at a time. Direct TV has dual tuner HD DVR where Dish Network top of the line receiver is a single HD tuner with single SD tuner. Direct TV you can watch one channel in HD while recording in another HD channel at the same time with the HR-21.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-08-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM

wow very useful info.. im really considering getting a mini dish because my local cable company just flat out sucks.. the picture quality is horrible, they only offer 12 hd channels, not enough movie channels, not enough sports channels, espnews is not even near the other espn channels..
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Direct TV has dual tuner HD DVR where Dish Network top of the line receiver is a single HD tuner with single SD tuner. Direct TV you can watch one channel in HD while recording in another HD channel at the same time with the HR-21.[/FONT]
FYI the ViP-722 can do this also. It can record two hd channels at the same time while watching something on the DVR. It also has an Over The Air tuner that you can use with an antenna. So in this case you can record two programs and watch another. You can also watch previously recorded shows while recording 2. The only time you can't do this is when you have the dvr in dual mode. In dual mode it down converts the signal to 480i sending it to a second television that it is wired to. During dual mode you can both individually watch a channel at the same time or both record a program while both watching something from the DVR. It comes with a 2nd remote for the other television and this is all with just ONE receiver. Not Bias just getting some info correct!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Thatís the thing about the VIP722 I did not like that in the dual mode it down converted the HD image to SD 480I quality. Hopefully future Dish Network receivers will offer dual 1080P output. I do like the built in ATSC tuner on the VIP722 for local over the air broadcasts. The discountinued Direct TV HR-20 had 4 HD tuners. Two HD satellite tuners and two HD ATSC tuners. Then when they came out with the HR-21 they dropped the two ATSC tuners and if one wants the same ablity as the HR-20 they have to purchase a DirectTV addon dual ATSC tuner box for around $60. So the HR-21 does have 4 HD tuners as long as one purchases the add on ATSC tuner box.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 PM

If your into Football, hands down DirecTV. The Sunday ticket alone is a huge difference.

If you are into recording space, DTV's new HD-Dvr {HR22} records 400hrs standard-100hrs HD, but so far I think Best Buy is the only one to stock it at this time. I know you can add on a larger hard drive but if you dont want an extra hard drive sitting along side outta the box that is a nice amount of HD space.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM

The Dish 622 and 722 are triple tuner/dual output DVR's. You can record THREE high definition programs at once as well as watch a previously recorded HD show all AT the same time. TWO of the tuners are from the satellite dish. One is OTA/ATSC only. By dual output, I mean you can watch one channel or previously recorded show on one TV and another channel or previously recorded show on a second TV at the same time. Now, the drawback is that output on TV2 will be 480i. If you want a poor man's distribution splitter, the TV1 output will output HD over both its component and HDMI outputs to two separate devices at the same time. Both HD outputs are hot.

There is also a Dish 612 which does not offer a secondary 480i output. It is one TV only (or two if you want to run component or HDMI to a second display to show the same content/channel).

Programming w/ Direct vs. Dish? Direct definitely has better sports programming. They always have. That is their niche. (However, they don't currently carry ESPN U HD, and Dish did carry Big 10 HD before Direct.) Dish has more movie/premium channels. Price and value? Dish is significantly cheaper if you just want HD. If you want HD and SD with premiums and sports, they are a wash in terms of costs.

This month's playback magazine has an okay, but not entirely up to date article comparing the 722 vs. the HR21. (I do believe the HR21 CAN use an external SATA drive for additional storage, but it can't do the unlimited USB archiving that the 722 can.)

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200809/

You can check out satelliteguys.us and dbstalk.com for more info.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM

I had both and to me Direc TV held up better weather wise ...I have dish currently ...but I love the DVR on Dish ...had the NFL package it was cool But now that im a Cowboys fan and have since moved to Texas I have no need ...I also love the archiving on my Dish I have stored a lot of films that were borderline buys especially older films (Die hard 1 & 2)
Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 AM

I had TW Cable and when I bought my house last year I knew I was going D* from day one.

After the switch and a year later I really don't have any complaints. The DVR is pretty standard, I do miss my Tivo that I had with TW (got a deal on an SD DVR when I signed with D* so I dumped my Tivo)

Sports programming D* cannot be beat, however, the prices are getting outrageous. NFL Sunday Ticket costs upwards of $280 or so, and to get the games in HD you have to pay for the Superfan add on which is an additional $100 so you are at almost $400 for the NFL Ticket, even though you are already paying the $10/month for HD service on your account.

I don't get much problems in the way of weather, I have had it flicker in and out on occasion but nothing that doesn't clear up pretty fast. I have noticed sometimes that if you can tell a storm is coming but isn't quite there, it may be higher up in the clouds because the signal will start chopping up, but it usually clears up once the front moves in.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/...ap5483768.html

AT&T has dropped Dish for non U-Verse customers now and going with DirectTV