"Seinfeld" on TBS in HD.... Finally. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Default "Seinfeld" on TBS in HD.... Finally.

I noticed something very interesting on TBS today (I was flipping channels and stopped because I was somewhat shocked).... Seinfeld was no longer stretched SD.

It still fills the screen but it isn't stretched at all... mostly I'd say the show has been cropped. Surprisingly, if this is indeed a crop job, it's a pretty good crop job. The 15 or so minutes I've been watching nothing looks overly effected by the reframed 16:9 ratio.

Yeah, so it's cropped. It is HD though.... and it looks fairly good. A thin layer of grain is present (but it's not intrusive). Detail is vastly improved - especially compared to the SD stretch - in many areas. Sure, some scenes are not so hot.... but then again it looks a lot better overall.

Seinfeld in HD.... Kramer's shirts and coats have never looked so good (or bad).

Too bad the otherwise decent airing was marred (as per Turner doctrine) with pop-ups and such.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Isn't TBS HD just 4:3 content stretched out to 16x9 and presented in 480p? I remember some of the hack jobs they did on Angel...ugh. Maybe that TNT though.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Isn't TBS HD just 4:3 content stretched out to 16x9 and presented in 480p? I remember some of the hack jobs they did on Angel...ugh. Maybe that TNT though.
Not anymore.

They (like TNT and other Turner channels) do have some actual HD content. Everyday Turner channels add more and more true HD programming.....

Do they still stretch content? Of course, their a Cable Co. for god sakes... it's there business to make TV as unpleasant as possible.

TNT has a surprising amount of actual HD programing. All of their TNT originals (The Closer, etc.), most movies and many of their re-runs (all of their Law and Order episodes) are true 1080i high def. Sure, many of their broadcasts of films are cropped but at least it's not stretched SD.

TBS has made a surprising turn regarding HD. All episodes of The Office, most of their originals, sports and even some syndicated re-runs (Everybody Loves Raymond) and now Seinfeld are HD.

TBS and TNT (finally) even have all of their snipes, ads and graphics in high def now... of course, I wish those pop ups weren't there - they are the reason that I stay away most of the time.

And yes, Angel was on TNT. In that particular case a widescreen HD master wasn't/isn't available.

Anyway, I still hate TNT, TBS, etc because they do still stretch when HD isn't available, commercials are in (or on top of) the show and commercial breaks happen far too often.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 09-03-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Default 4X3 vs. 16X9 comparison

4X3 vs. 16X9 comparison - take a look....

4X3 SD (From DVD):

16X9 HD (TBS HD*):

*Note the above TBS-HD capture is not full resoultion*

Credit for the above goes to "videojanitor" over at AVS.

There's less info on the bottom (and top, slightly) but, interestingly, there is also more info on the sides.....

Last edited by Super-VHS; 09-03-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Default 1080i Captures

Full Resolution 1080i captures:

A note on his method:
Quote:
Captured via analog component with a Hauppauge HD PVR, which does not retain the full image quality of the source. Thus, these are a little softer than the real thing. Still, you get the idea. I'm no fan of the crop, but it's otherwise quite nice.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Aired again in HD. Looks to be a regular thing....

Today they played "The Merv Griffin Show" (Season 9, episode 6) and the scenes with Kramer and "the set" really showcased the increased detail.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

that actually looks pretty damn good
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Formerly metsfan1545d

id def buy these on blu ray if they became available
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Default More 4X3 vs. 16X9 comparison

More 4X3 vs. 16X9 comparison - take a look....

4X3 SD (From DVD):

16X9 HD (TBS HD*):

*Note the above TBS-HD capture is not full resoultion*

Again, there's less info on the bottom (and top, slightly) but, interestingly, there is also just a little bit more info on the sides.....
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM

HD again today (with the exception of the beginning credits.... after returning from commercials it was real HD though).