Whats better Cable Hi Def or Telephone HiDef?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Whats better Cable Hi Def or Telephone HiDef??

This post may be more suited for Western Canada forum viewers; But with Telus's New Super Bundles arriving around the lower Mainland, was curious to know if any one has ditched their Shaw cable and their Hi Def DigiBoxes and subscribed to Telus and their new service.
is there any difference in Picture quality? Does Telus provide the same 5.1 sound?, and 1080i picture?, Is the notorious audio problems many of us have experienced with Shaw and their Hi-Def channel lineup still prevalent with Telus? No problems or the same? Are the channel lineups in the Hi-DEF area the same lineup or more or less selections?? I see they want to give me 1 year of free TV... what does this mean? Tier 3 only and all Hi def channels (the same $9.99 or less or more? )
What about their offer of two digiboxes included? Are they PDR or just plain digi only????? or can they be HIDEF digiboxes?? What is the Super Bundles all about? --HI-DEF TV/ Internet with up to 10MB speeds/ and land lines to all phonejacks?
I know a lot of questions., But the biggest question is:
Is it worth it to change my $186.00 a month service ( no Pay TV) with Shaw, (Shaw phone/Tier 3 TV with Hi def package/ and full Internet with paid modem with speeds of -Last Result: 4:57 PM PDT time
Download Speed: 4809 kbps (601.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 969 kbps (121.1 KB/sec transfer rate) .................
and what do you get for Telus and at what price??????
Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 PM

I would imagine from my flood of responses that NO one has converted from cable over to telephone TV and hidef etc....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM

I've never even heard of telephone TV. Just get DirecTV dude.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 AM

Well its the Canada part actually. Down here in the states cable was better but they started recompressing channels so its about even. If your telephone TV is anything like that crap Uverse AT&T is pushing I would stay away (recompressed and only 2 HD streams).
Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

There is two main telephone technologies for cable over telephone. One is using copper 22 or 23 gauge twisted pair in the form of DSL type of service. The copper RG-6 cable from the cable company is better quality then copper phone. The other telephone cable system is direct fiber optics to the side of the house and has more bandwidth then Direct TV, Dish Network, and Comcast combined. Verizon FIOS and other telcos use direct fiber optics to the side of the house and the quality is the best.

I realize you are in Canada. Find out if the telco up in Canada is using fiber to the side of the house. If they are you may want to go with them. If its copper DSL type of telco then you most likely would be better going with plain old cable company.
Hopefully someone from Canada will be able to help you more.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Fear not! I am from Canada!!! lol

Telus uses hd cable just as Rogers or Shaw or Cogeco does. Bell Expressvu is satellite hd which doesn't look as good, but they have fiber Optimax internet as an option now. And I know for a fact Telus or anyone else is *not* using fiber. Ugh, dont even get me started with that whole fiber mess and the CRTC here in Canada. There are only a few very small internet providers that offer fiber (for primarily business purposes) here in Canada.