DirecTV 130 HD Channels 14 August and 1080P coming. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM

Default DirecTV 130 HD Channels 14 August and 1080P coming.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/28...80p-movies-la/

DirecTV to boast 130 HD channels on August 14th, 1080p movies later this year
by Darren Murph, posted Jul 28th 2008 at 12:40PM

Now this is what we're talking about! On the very same morning that Verizon trumpets its achievement of hitting 100 high-def channels in New York, along comes DirecTV to make that figure look second-rate. The satcaster has just announced that it will be hosting upwards of 130 high-definition channels on August 14th, which means that 30 or so newcomers are just weeks away from going live. All of the channels will be transmitted in the MPEG-4 AVC standard, and if you're curious, it also plans to provide "movies in 1080p" later this year. Included in the new stations will be Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DirecTV HD pay-per-view channels and 23 more regional sports networks in high-def 24 hours a day. Any other carriers feel like doing the leapfrog today?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Adding more HD channels is great, but come on, I already get about 35 RSN channels... How many more are there?...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM

Just wanted to add that 44 local HD markets will be added before the end of the year. Sadly my city got passed over again. Oh well, guess I will have to wait for D12 to launch next year.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=134303

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 28, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to strengthen its HD presence with the addition of 44 new HD local channel markets. By the end of 2008, DIRECTV will provide local HD broadcast channels in 121 cities, representing more than 88 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV will begin the rollout of the new HD local markets in August and continue through the end of the year. The new markets include:

* Augusta, Ga.
* Bangor, Maine
* Baton Rouge, La.
* Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
* Boise, Idaho
* Burlington, Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.
* Butte-Bozeman, Mont.
* Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.
* Charleston, S.C.
* Chattanooga, Tenn.
* Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.
* Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.
* Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill., Moline, Ill.
* Dayton, Ohio
* Des Moines-Ames, Iowa
* Dothan, Ala.
* El Paso, Texas
* Evansville, Ind.
* Fort Smith, Ark.
* Fort Wayne, Ind.
* Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.
* Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas
* Harrisonburg, Va.
* La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.
* Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.
* Macon, Ga.
* Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.
* Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.
* Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
* Norfolk-Newport News, Va.
* Palm Springs, Calif.
* Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.
* Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
* Rockford, Ill.
* Rochester, N.Y.
* Savannah, Ga.
* Sioux Falls, S.D.
* South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.
* Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.
* Syracuse, N.Y.
* Tallahassee, Fla.
* Toledo, Ohio
* Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.
* Youngstown, Ohio
Old 08-03-2008, 05:35 PM

DirecTv plans to Hit the 160-170 HD Channels by years End. 200 in 2009
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
Adding more HD channels is great, but come on, I already get about 35 RSN channels... How many more are there?...
The initial press release was wrong, the corrected release states that there will be 23 full time RSN's total, with 11 or 12 becoming full time on the 14th. So less RSN's going full time means more national HD channels.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 AM

Well they launched their 130 HD channels the other day, and honestly I can only find about 4 of them... They do list on their website that of the 130, 30+ are HD PPV channels, which IMO should not count... Other than Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, and Showtime Extreme/Showcase HD what others did they add?...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
Well they launched their 130 HD channels the other day, and honestly I can only find about 4 of them... They do list on their website that of the 130, 30+ are HD PPV channels, which IMO should not count... Other than Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, and Showtime Extreme/Showcase HD what others did they add?...
None to my personal knowledge. DirecTV loves to count their HD PPV channels as HD which as you said should not count as they are simply PPV and not part of any subscription.

I'd really like to see some good channels in HD (movie channels, TV series channels) and no more sports channels (they provide more sports - which is cheaper for them - and very few movie/tv channels - which costs them more). I'm paying close to $140 a month for the same package that last year cost me less than $90 and the only upgrade is about 12 HD channels (Nick, Cartoon, National Geographic, A&E and the like). I have two HD packages I pay extra for and I'd drop Universal HD in a heartbeat now because it's sponsored with commercials so it's no better than TBS-HD.

I know if DirecTV doesn't give me more quality HD by year's end, I will cancel my HD content and save myself $40+/- a month as it's just not worth it ... even with 1080p (promised).
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM

what gets me is im paying for directv, nfl sunday ticket and the superfan so i can watch the games in HD and of course the first game i want to watch is not in hd! this really pisses me off, i know for a fact the home markets of both teams will show the games in HD this is stupid im going to write directv and express my frustration!