When will cartoon shows go widescreen? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: When will cartoon shows go widescreen?
Sometime this fall or next season. 2 8.00%
When TV programming officially "goes digital." 4 16.00%
Sometime after TV "goes digital." 8 32.00%
Later or never. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Default When will cartoon shows go widescreen?

I've wondered for a while when shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy will go widescreen. I would assume that this will result in animators requesting larger paychecks as they will have to create more content. What do you think?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

I didn't want to vote because I'm still really undecided. I think you're more likely to see a new cartoon show go widescreen from debut rather than a currently aired one. We may see one within the next few years.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM

I would still assume that the current popular animated shows right now would eventually move to widescreen. Since it's inevitable that nearly all consumers will purchase a HDTV, they will begin to ask that their favorite shows go HD. The thing with animated shows that I mentioned would be interesting is that they will require more time for the animators to produce the wider content. Still, I think it will happen at some point in the next couple years.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 AM

i'm not sure when it will happy, but it absolutly will not be before the digital switch... Honestly even then it might be some time as there are digital capable 4:3 screen's on the market, and digital converter boxes for old analog 4:3 screens.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 AM

Some shows already are. Some shows aren't. I honestly don't think this will change much.

I also don't think that shows already in production (in 1.37:1) will make the change to widescreen - in most cases at least. It's a lot more work for the animators to draw the larger image and in some ways creates far too different a style/tone for certain shows' creators and producers (and because of this won't move to 16:9)

The creators of Family Guy, King of the Hill and The Simpsons have already said that they will not make the transition to 16:9 for the reason I mentioned above (tonality.) They will do HD if the network allows them to stay in 4:3 (unlikely, as HD=16:9 for many) but other than that they will keep their shows in 4:3 for the remaining runs.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM

I think later for many of the reasons mentioned above.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Well, King of the Hill is going HD tonight. I wonder if others will follow suit.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Just noticed this weekend that Disney now has an HD channel... DisneyHD They showed "Finding Nemo" in full HD and then the normal shows still had boxes on the left and right (but a good picture).
Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiequest View Post
Just noticed this weekend that Disney now has an HD channel... DisneyHD They showed "Finding Nemo" in full HD and then the normal shows still had boxes on the left and right (but a good picture).
Disney's had an HD channel for about a year now. Its kind of a mixed bag really. On the plus side they show a lot of their top shelf films in HD - Aladdin was shown the other day in high definition and it looked great. As you stated, Nemo was just on (and has been over the past few days) and in stunning quality. They even air things in OAR on occasion ó a recent showing of The Incredibles was in 2.39:1 widescreen.

Downside is while they have some TV shows in HD (mostly little kid cartoons and educational programs in the mornings) I haven't seen much else. A large majority of their programming - like most HD simulcasts of cable channels - is still 4:3 (or window boxed 16:9) standard def that's just upconverted.

In totally unrelated news to DisneyHD (but relevant to HD/widescreen cartoons), The Simpsons is going HD in a few weeks (I think next Sunday?)

And, as I'm sure most of you know, not only is the latest season of South Park (and all seasons forward) airing in 1.78:1 HD, but they're actually going back and re-animating a good portion of the prior series for high definition.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 PM

I figured it's been around a while.. as with many HD channels... this is the 1st weekend it's been on Comcast in the Maryland Area.. seems like we're behind on the line-ups.