Fear it's self... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Default Fear it's self...

Anyone else watch this program on NBC? I've caught (I guess) the first couple of episodes and I'm really enjoying it so far. Very good quality HD for broadcast TV and very intersting stories. Growing up I used to love the tripped out horror series, like the revitalized twilight zones, outer limits and Friday the 13th!!! (the series). I must say I'm really digging the show so far!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM

How does the horror element come across on this show (being that it is on NBC)?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:50 PM

They manage to do a fairly good job, though yes being as it's on NBC they can't go over board with the blood and guts and such.... For me that's acutally a good thing, gretoutius violence doesn't work in a horror setting for me, it doesn't scare me... It might disgust and or revolt me, but that's not being scared.

I would say over all they're off toa decent start, I think that with some more development this series is going to rock hard core. I would recommend giving next thursday nights episode a shot.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:08 PM

I didn't get to watch the premiere episode because my OTA antenna was dropping the signal alot but I did get to see the 2nd episode. I liked it but I felt they could've made it scarier. I wonder if NBC is afraid to make it too scary or if the writers just lack the knowledge/intellect to write a good, scary movie.

The theme song is a bit too weak also. I liked the Masters of Horror theme song better.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:43 AM

I do agree that they could work on scarying up the stories a bit, but give them time I think... It took a while for the friday the 13th series to get decent, and there were some really freaky x-files episodes once they were in full swing.

As far as the theme music, actually I kind of liked that, I also really like the opening credits vid they got, they have some decently freaky images stuck into it. Like

I really think this one has a lot of potential, particularly since it has something on it's side that past series didn't, high def. I think there's a lot more that can be done and accuratly perpersented on a high def set that probably wouldn't have had the same impact otherwise, plus the surrounds.... yeah, really looking forward to future episodes!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 AM

I don't need to have blood and guts in my horror at all, but a lot of lighter stuff also seems to be shy of scares. The Ring had some great creepy elements (even though I hated the movie), and I love M. Night's ability to make things scary. It is possible, but gems are few and far between, unfortunately.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

I can agree with this... Historically horror is a genera of movie that, while I love when it's effective I very rarely find such movies to be effective... A few episodes of x-files worked, a few Friday the 13th (tv series) episodes worked, when I was younger holloween scared the heck out of me but not quite so much now.

Though on occation I've also found that it's possible for a horror film to not be effective as a horror film but effective on other terms, such as story telling.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Ok.... So i just finished up watching the "Eater" episode last night and I have to say I very much enjoyed it... It made great use of the enhanced visuals and audio of HT programming, and the story was solid and fairly well written. I'm happy to see the development in this series, I still feel like it has a lot of potential (as of yet mostly untapped).