HD Movies on Cable/Dish Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Default HD Movies on Cable/Dish Question

I have noticed that on some channels on Dish and Cable HD that show HD movies, there are movies in HD that are shown that have not been released on either Blu Ray or HD DVD. My question is, are these movies done in HD by the studios or are they put in HD by the channel?

For example, I know they were showing the Star Wars movies in HD, so were the movies remastered in HD by Fox, or was it TNT (I think that's the name of the channel showing them) that upscaled it somehow?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugenius View Post
I have noticed that on some channels on Dish and Cable HD that show HD movies, there are movies in HD that are shown that have not been released on either Blu Ray or HD DVD. My question is, are these movies done in HD by the studios or are they put in HD by the channel?

For example, I know they were showing the Star Wars movies in HD, so were the movies remastered in HD by Fox, or was it TNT (I think that's the name of the channel showing them) that upscaled it somehow?
I think the channels get them in HD from the distributors, they are not upscaled. The distributors have many other channels to deliver the content in HD besides just Blu-ray or HD DVD. There are lots of movies shown in full HD on TV that are not available on Blu-ray or HD DVD in any country.

I have subscribed to a Japanese channel "WOWOW" and their broadcasts are 24 Mbps, pretty much similar quality to BD and HD DVD content, including 5.1 AAC sound. The good thing is that there are many interesting indie and small budget movies shown as well that might not sell so much e.g. on Blu-ray and thus don't get released anywhere. And the subscription in my case is about $24 per month, which is pretty cheap and I can record the movies I like from there and make one permanent copy on disc (but not multiple copies).