What is best CECB box to use on a 16:9 RPTV 57" NTSC tuner CRT HDTV? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 AM

Question What is best CECB box to use on a 16:9 RPTV 57" NTSC tuner CRT HDTV?

Real quick question.

Whats the best CECB box to use with a 57" CRT rear projection 1080i 16:9 HDTV, that only has a ATSC tuner?

Help from you CECB experts?

Just got my two government coupons.

I have an unusal problem. I want to use a CECB as a cheapie ATSC tuner for one of my NTSC tuner HDTVs. I'm most concerned on how it will look on a 57" 16:9 HDTV, not a smaller 4:3 TV.

Background:

My local cable provider has a lousy analog feed for our local CBS affiliate and due to a local carry pissing contest I cannot get that station on my digital HD cable box as a HD channel. Only the lousy analog version is available on local cable.

My local OTA digital ATSC broadcast feed for that station would be an improvement even if its only digital 480i. I'm getting HD for most of the local stations except PBS and one other station, but they look fine on my cable system. But the analog CBS channel really sucks on my 57" RPTV.

I know the Zenith and Digital Stream CECBs do not have S-Video, but I'm sure my Toshiba 57HDX82 HDTV has a pretty good comb filter and zoom functions.

I'm most concerned about how the 480i output would look on my 16:9 display.

I'm looking to have the CECB convert the widescreen OTA 16:9 ATSC 1080i60 HD broadcast to widescreen 480i60 and then use my NTSC HDTV to upconvert that to the CRT displays native 1080i60 16:9 resolution. I know its a cludge, but if its widescreen and digital its better than the poor analog 4:3 feed I have now.

Its only this one single channel that I have an issue with, so I really don't want to buy a HDTV ATSC tuner box. Its really just that watching CBS golf and NFL football is irritating. Plus my local CBS affiliate and cable system may come to an agreement for HD carriage.

I would rather get a box locally that I can get at Wal-Mart Circuit City , Radio shack, Best Buy or Frys.

Between the Zenith DT900 and Digital Stream DTX-9900 what would look best on a 16:9 NTSC HDTV? Would the Channel Master CM-7000 S-Video output make a difference? Any other options?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 AM

I just saw on a video that the Zenith DTT900 can set the aspect ratio to match a 4:3 or 16:9 display.

That would be good in my situation.

Does the Digital Stream DTX-9900 offer this option?

Last edited by Kosty; 04-17-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:54 AM

from AVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99
I can report the zenith has an output setting 4:3 or 16:9.

The Digital Stream DTX9900 will display 16:9 anamorphic also.
Which would better on a native 16:9 display? I would assume the Zenith would push be better as it would be filling the native 16:9 display from left to right instead of doing an anamorphic squeeze, but would the DS work like a anamorphic DVD and produce a better picture? I know anamorphic DVD works because precious SD MPEG-2 encoded pixels are not wasted on encoding black bars, but how would that work in a CECB?