Looking for QAM tuners. - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Do you know what QAM is?
Yes 13 72.22%
No 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 AM

Exclamation Looking for QAM tuners.

I was over at a friends house today, and just stumbled across what QAM is.
He has a Visio that has a built in QAM tuner. My Sammy does not have a built in QAM tuner.

What I am looking for is an affordable and realible externals/stb QAM tuner. Does anyone know anything about these?? I have know spent the last 2 or so hours looking for QAM tuners (it's now 1:15 in the morning) and have found basically nothing. All I have found are tuners that are junk, or don't fully support QAM.

For those that don't know a QAM tuner is the same for cable as an ATSC tuner is for over the air broadcasts. So, yes free HDTV programming with out an additional charge, and no need to worry about reception like OTA.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM

IIRC, a QAM tuner will only allow you to watch unscrambled signals. To my knowledge, cable companies usually only leave local channels unscrambled since you can obtain them OTA for free anyway. This would apply to the HD channels too.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM

If you are looking for an external QAM tuner you could always get a S3 or HD Tivo. Those are probably the easiest external QAM tuners to find. If you run it without the cable cards it will default to the internal QAM tuner. Although the problem with running it this way is that there is no program guide data for QAM channels because cable companies can remap their QAM channels whenever they feel like it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
Although the problem with running it this way is that there is no program guide data for QAM channels because cable companies can remap their QAM channels whenever they feel like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeStar View Post
IIRC, a QAM tuner will only allow you to watch unscrambled signals. To my knowledge, cable companies usually only leave local channels unscrambled since you can obtain them OTA for free anyway. This would apply to the HD channels too.
Yes I am aware of all this. But I can't get reception from OTA HD broadcasts. I'm also not to worried about a TV guide. Actually some of the external QAM tuners seem to receive a guide anyways (how exactly, I do not know).

Those Tivos look pretty expensive, I also don't really need much use for a DVR. I can record shows on my computer and pipe them to my 360.
I am also looking at just a one time expense, I might just be tempted to buy the Tivo service.

Is this thread in the right spot? I couldn't figure it out, as it relates to both hardware, but mainly HDTV programming and info.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
Yes I am aware of all this. But I can't get reception from OTA HD broadcasts. I'm also not to worried about a TV guide. Actually some of the external QAM tuners seem to receive a guide anyways (how exactly, I do not know).

Those Tivos look pretty expensive, I also don't really need much use for a DVR. I can record shows on my computer and pipe them to my 360.
I am also looking at just a one time expense, I might just be tempted to buy the Tivo service.

Is this thread in the right spot? I couldn't figure it out, as it relates to both hardware, but mainly HDTV programming and info.
Well the Samsung DTB-H260F is nice, but you have the channels remapping every so often. Clear QAM decodes just come through as the channel numbers. OTA it works even better.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglix the Mad View Post
Well the Samsung DTB-H260F is nice, but you have the channels remapping every so often. Clear QAM decodes just come through as the channel numbers. OTA it works even better.
Not if I can't get reception.

I have been looking at the specs on the H260F and it appears as if it does not have a "real" QAM tuner.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Just curious, why not use your cable providers box?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Cable guy for 5 Years.
the question is do you know QPSK.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise7 View Post
Just curious, why not use your cable providers box?
Because it costs money, I have to pay every month. I don't know what HD service costs now, but it used to be 10 bucks a month. Over a year that is 120 dollars, over two years 240, over 3: 360, and over five years it would be 600 dollars. This is not counting taxes and the inevitable price increases.

Now double or even triple that price. That is how many HDTVs I have or might have in my house.

Secondly I might be tempted to buy the premium package so that would be 100-150 dollars a month.
$6,000-$9,000 for 5 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphod View Post
Cable guy for 5 Years.
the question is do you know QPSK.
No, I do not know what that is.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 PM

(Quantum phase shift keying) is the means by wich all other communication between the digital cable box and the MTC take place. guide info, ppv, vod, firmware, etc.