Charter cable vs. DirecTV - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 AM

Question Charter cable vs. DirecTV

All content/availability differences aside (done that homework), which one offers better PQ?

Does DirecTV still transmit "HD" at 1280x1080i? Less than 10 Mbps as I've read? Has their new gear (MPEG4 and more satellites) lead to better quality, or just more channels?

I've read quite a few angry comments about Comcast on these boards, but can anyone with direct experience with Charter offer comment?

I just need to know whether to tell the guy to route coax to the rear roof for a dish as the house is being built.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Very interested in responces to this also.

Do you know what Charters bandwidth is? The macroblocking on my plasma is pretty annoying. I was assuming this had to do with low bandwidth. But I thought DirectTV was even lower. I don't know though. Added HD channels of DirectTV would be nice, but I already get movie channels, locals, and ESPN from Charter. I could live with that if DirectTV has an inferior signal.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
Very interested in responces to this also.
The action is all under the "Smackdown" section, same title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
...I could live with that if DirectTV has an inferior signal.
I'm with you; for my programming needs comparative to the two services in question, quality is what matters!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

i was a charter customer for years even before charter bought into the present system, i've always had issues with them on pix quality, they told me it was my bad in house cable as i have lived here for nearly 40 years, well, guess what, i switched to direct tv last august, and direct tv pix is so much better than what charter had offered, charter also told me on an issue they had fixed over a year ago outside my home, and this same issue came up again, that was when they blamed my in home cable, even though the issue was the same and i told them so, they told me if i did not change my cabling they would pull the plug on their service, what a bunch of morons, i switched then before they could do so and my cabling is same thruout except where direct came into the home to put in their switching box, and the picture is unbelievable, both hd and regular, so much better service from direct tv, charter will never get my business again
Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up

Good to know.

Thanks, Greener.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 AM

That may be one of the longest sentences ever.

And yes, Charter sucks. I have Comcast at college for standard programming [not paying the ridiculous charge for HD.. my bill is already $120/mo] and their cable is horrible as well. I can't wait to live on my own and get DirecTV.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM

I #$^#%^ HATE CHARTER!!! Worst Customer service I have ever had. Next to nothing for HD, OVER PRICED, Im looking into dish.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFlash678 View Post
...OVER PRICED...
Considering I live in Saginaw, I'm sure our service and prices don't vary much. I have to say, Charter is reasonably priced.

I agree, their CS sucks. Only time I didn't get someone overseas I could barely understand, it was some snotty punk that didn't even listen to me, might as well have been an automated service.

Oh, also, my parents have had dish for a few years. I haven't lived there for 2 years. While I did live there, the amount of drop outs was rediculous. That may or may not have changed since then, but it def. put a bitter taste in my mouth for Dish. That and how often they would call for us to get there service while we already had it.

If I ever decided to drop Charter, it will only be for DirectTV. Unless FiOS becomes available in my area.