Comcast has really stepped up HD OnDemand - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 AM

Thumbs up Comcast has really stepped up HD OnDemand

I've always been a little jealous of my friends with FiOS since the PQ is stunning, however they have been getting jealous of HD OnDemand. Tonight I watched They Live in the free movies section, and it looked great for being such an old movie.

Right now I am skimming through Bicentennial Man and it looks simply stunning. I know its a crap movie but I watched the beginning once and now I have to finish it. Especially in the beginning with the footage of the robot factory it looks extremely sharp and colorful, what I look for in HD. We have Starz, Encore and HBO. HBO seems to have dropped HD movies on demand but Encore and Starz have loads of movies, mostly Disney and Sony flicks. I can catch up on all the Blu-rays I skipped. The free HD movie section also has alot more films than it once did, many of them being quality older flicks.

Even though Comcast's regular PQ is a bit subpar they seem to really pump up the bitrate of the OnDemand. I suggest you guys check it out if you have Comcast.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

yeah i think that's weird that HBO dropped HD on demand... and the PQ on HD on demand movies is improving with comcast... I just watched "kicking it old school" the other night... and that movie sucked... glad i didn't pay for it... but seriously... they have some awesome movies on demand. Thanks to comcast, It held me off on "employee of the month" blu-ray, "crank" blu-ray, and it got me movies not available on HDM like "robocop 2"... definitlally a good supplement to an HD setup... premiums cost 40 bucks a month to add and they give you 100 or so movies a month in HD on demand, and many more sd movies... comcast wasn't kidding about their CES announcement of going for "3000 HD on demand programs a month within a year"
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 AM

yeah i wonder why HBO dropped their HD movies but i love the encore HD on demand i wish the channel was in HD.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Are there any HBO insiders out there that can tell us just why HBO doesn't do HD on Demand any more?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM

I doubt the PQ has improved. The bandwidth is only so much on coaxial cable.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8UP&DOWN View Post
Are there any HBO insiders out there that can tell us just why HBO doesn't do HD on Demand any more?
I was looking through Comcast On Demand today and did find some HBO HD On Demand... It was their mini series John Adams. As of today, there were 3 episodes and a couple of "extras".
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post
I was looking through Comcast On Demand today and did find some HBO HD On Demand... It was their mini series John Adams. As of today, there were 3 episodes and a couple of "extras".
Yeah, true. But, that's it. And this John Adams series just started. It's strange because HBO does have an HD channel.

What's also strange is that Encore has HD On Demand, but does not have an HD channel.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I doubt the PQ has improved. The bandwidth is only so much on coaxial cable.
The PQ is a lot better with Ondemand. Could be something to do with you not sharing all that extra bandwidth with your neighbors.

If you're the only one in your area watching that movie as well as the only one on ondemand then your are using the entire channel and not sharing it with others. That could explain why on Friday and Saturday nights I can't "tune" into some HD movies on demand, cause all the bandwidth is being used.
The bandwidth for coaxial has gotten pretty high, it's a lot more then 6 or 8 megs we are getting from out internet.