Possible to get surround sound with off-air antenna? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Possible to get surround sound with off-air antenna?

Here's my setup:

I have a HDTV and an off-air antenna (rabbit ears). I do not have any type of cable or satellite TV. I have a home theater with an Onkyo SR705 and 7.1 speaker setup. At my previous home, I had DirecTV, with which I had HDMI run to my Onkyo receiver, which then picked up the surround sound. At my new home I only use the off-air antenna, which hooks up directly to my TV.

Is there a way to get surround sound through my Onkyo system with the antenna hooked up to the TV?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM

If your TV has a coaxial hookup use that. If not go RCA hookups for regular dolby.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM

The rabbit ears are hooked up to the TV coax in. How do I then get the audio to play through the Onkyo system from there?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Most new tv's have an optical out port on the back. You need to run a cable from that to your receiver. That should send the dolby digital signal you're getting from the over the air broadcast. You might have to tweak with the audio settings on you're tv to get it to work. PM me if you need more help.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

digital optical or digital coax output on your tv? I know mine has optical out on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM

I purchased an optical cable and have that running to my receiver but it still does not pick up DD.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 AM

If your display won't output Dolby Digital over optical, do you have a DirecTV receiver or other STB with ATSC OTA tuner? It will output Dolby Digital. Keep in mind, nowhere near all programming over OTA has Dolby Digital 5.1, but enough does so that it shouldn't be difficult to determine if your display will receive it and output it over Toslink.

Chris
Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM

how do you decode true hd
Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray 626 View Post
how do you decode true hd
No OTA, cable or satellite transmissions use Dolby TrueHD so you can't by any of those methods of viewing HDTV. As far as decoding Dolby TrueHD from Blu-ray or HD DVD, you need either a player that decodes it and outputs the audio in a form your amplifier can receive or a player that passes bitstream over HDMI 1.3 to an external decoder. If you need specific player, amplifier or decoder recommendations for Dolby TrueHD, we can give you some. Just let us know, or start a thread in the appropriate section, this isn't it.

Chris
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
If your display won't output Dolby Digital over optical, do you have a DirecTV receiver or other STB with ATSC OTA tuner? It will output Dolby Digital. Keep in mind, nowhere near all programming over OTA has Dolby Digital 5.1, but enough does so that it shouldn't be difficult to determine if your display will receive it and output it over Toslink.

Chris
I've watched showd like Law & Order which say audio is in DD 5.1 but my receiver never shows DD. I used to have DTV and the receiver did pick up DD, as I had an HDMI cable running from the DTV receiver to my Onkyo one.