Direct TV vs Cable - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Direct TV vs Cable

I hear that DirecTV HD is a bit more compressed then a lot of cable providers. My friend gets DirecTV, but he has an older rear projection HDTV and you can't really compare that to the new tvs, like my new 1080p DLP. Anyone have a chance to compare the Sat to cable HD??
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 PM

In my experience, Sat and Cable can't compete with OTA. And even that is a far cry from BD/HD DVD. I am patiently waiting for a fiber optic solution (Verizon FiOS for example) before I give my hard earned cash to any content provider. The quality just doesn't justify the price IMO.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM

I have cable and I use an OTA antenna and I think the cable signal is equal to OTA. I bought the antenna because I wanted to see the difference, but didn't really see one. I will test it out more, but I was glad to know my cable high def(cablevision connecticut) was very close to OTA for HD.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
I have cable and I use an OTA antenna and I think the cable signal is equal to OTA. I bought the antenna because I wanted to see the difference, but didn't really see one. I will test it out more, but I was glad to know my cable high def(cablevision connecticut) was very close to OTA for HD.
You're kidding right? How many subchannels are OTA then because that affects bandwidth and the picture quality you're seeing.
As for DirecTV their HD is shit. All their 1080i HD channels downrezzed to 1280x1080 last I heard.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Honestly, I went out and bought an antenna, because I heard how much better local OTA HD was. I could only get two stations with my indoor antenna(didn't go crazy), but I really didn't notice much difference if any at all. My local stations look crystal clear on shows like american idol, house, CSI, etc.. Like I said, my friend has directv and his HD doesn't look very good, but he has a 6 year old rear projection mitsubishi HDTV, which i'm sure isn't as good as the new gen tvs like mine.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
You're kidding right? How many subchannels are OTA then because that affects bandwidth and the picture quality you're seeing.
As for DirecTV their HD is shit. All their 1080i HD channels downrezzed to 1280x1080 last I heard.
So, what do you suggest?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 PM

Look into Dish. I am very pleased with their HD channels.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM

I hate 'em all! Not enough channels for too much money. I don't PAY for any service anymore.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM

I agree with Iggytx. To much money for little content. However if you are going to pay for HD content go Cable or Dish.

Cable: Equivalent to OTA plus you can get Discovery and NG in HD which look phenomenal. Downside is cost. For PVR you can use the Tivo S3.

Dish: PQ little better that Direct TV. They have the voom channels, a nice PVR, and a decent rate.

Direct: Looked the worst to me. At this time lack of content compared to Dish. Cost is up there with cable. This could change once they get launch their new HD satellites
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 PM

Did you guys preview the latest generation err MPEG-4 HD receiver offered by DirecTV? Maybe I'm loosing my eye sight, but I have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the DirecTV and Dish/Voom. I can see a significant difference comcast/charter cable.

Well I pay a $10 HDTV fee on top of my standard package to get HDTV, . It's not a huge expense, although limited, to get HDTV content,. I don't know what the cost is dish/voom & cable, but I'll pay the $10 to get discoverHD and all the syndicated networks that offer HD content.

Last edited by firelizard; 04-06-2007 at 10:27 PM.