March 1st 2007, a milestone in the death of analog TV. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Default March 1st 2007, a milestone in the death of analog TV.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/02/t...for-analog-tv/

So apparently stores were supposed to stop selling analog TVs that do not have the new ATSC digital tuner inside. Most have not, and my guess is that they will not stop selling them until all the analog TVs in the backroom are sold AND their warehouses stop shipping them more. Or I guess it could become more financially beneficial for them to throw them away at some point, because they do not take up valuable space, and as some of us know, in retail space costs money.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/02/t...for-analog-tv/

So apparently stores were supposed to stop selling analog TVs that do not have the new ATSC digital tuner inside. Most have not, and my guess is that they will not stop selling them until all the analog TVs in the backroom are sold AND their warehouses stop shipping them more. Or I guess it could become more financially beneficial for them to throw them away at some point, because they do not take up valuable space, and as some of us know, in retail space costs money.
I've been curious about this. I too have seen little change at most retailers. Is there any penalty for ignoring the rules? I thought they would have dropped the price of all TVs without ATSC in order to clear them out, but the day has come and gone, and I still see a surprising number of "HD ready" stickers. At this point a TV without ATSC is no more valuble than a monitor.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM

An ATSC tuner isn't that big a deal. Consider that most people, if they're watching digital cable have a digital box anyway.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 AM

It's my understanding that on March 1, 2006, all TVs 25" or larger being made must have a digital tuner. It may have an analog tuner.

As of March 1, 2007, ALL TVs being made must have a digital tuner and it may have an analog tuner.

Different stories on the WEB are saying different things, some say "being sold" and others are saying "being make". It should not be any surprise if you find an analog only set in some store even 6 months from now; as long as it was made before the date listed.

Bob
Old 03-15-2007, 02:23 PM

I've also noticed a lack of VCRs, recordable DVDs, and DVRs that meet the new standard. I've been waiting to get a new recording device but the March deadline has passed and there are still no affordable solutions available. Anyone know if any recordable devices are still being made?

EDIT: I found a good list on AVS of what's coming out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=791417

There's still not much to record HD OTA, but at least there are some new recorders coming out with ATSC. Most of them are DVD burners though which may not be ideal for me when recording TV because they can't be re-recorded on. I often record shows, watch them, erase them, and record something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
An ATSC tuner isn't that big a deal. Consider that most people, if they're watching digital cable have a digital box anyway.
Most people have cable or satelite and pay some sort of fee to watch TV, but broadcast television is free and is protected by the government. Millions of people still don't pay a fee to watch TV and it's important that they are protected.

Last edited by Ramenator; 03-15-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Personally I don't care about tuner or cable card, I use DirecTV connectiopn or connected to player box. I am thinking about replacing my last CRT with LCD this year.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post
Most people have cable or satelite and pay some sort of fee to watch TV, but broadcast television is free and is protected by the government. Millions of people still don't pay a fee to watch TV and it's important that they are protected.
correcto.

Thats way raitings for example for ABC, CBS, NBC and such are so much higher then everybody else and matter so much more because unlike all other channels, these are free, for anybody to watch and should remain that way