Best satellite service for HD Movies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Best satellite service for HD Movies

I was thinking about getting a satelite dish for HD programming/movies. Who has the most channels/best service? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Dish Network is going to start offering an HD-only package next month for $29. Should be around 40-some channels. You get the Voom networks in there, with Monsters HD, Kung Fu HD, World Cinema HD, Film Fest HD, and also HDNet Movies and Universal HD.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Cool, thanks. I hear a lot of people say when it rains you don't get a signal. Any info on that?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM

i like the sound of a hd only package as i really only watch HD channels. I might have to sign up when this is announced!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Cool, thanks. I hear a lot of people say when it rains you don't get a signal. Any info on that?
Only if it is a very heavy rain or if your installer doesn't know what the hell he is doing... I don't think snow will be a problem for you, huh?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 AM

No snow, today it'll be in the 70's
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post
Dish Network is going to start offering an HD-only package next month for $29. Should be around 40-some channels. You get the Voom networks in there, with Monsters HD, Kung Fu HD, World Cinema HD, Film Fest HD, and also HDNet Movies and Universal HD.
Really? I just dropped them in December, when my contract expired. I fielded half a dozen customer service calls trying to keep me. I told them I would only stay if they offered an HD only package, that paying $40/mo. for the "Top 100" SD channels I never watched was a rip-off & waste of money for me. They assured me an HD Only package would "never happen".

Part of their undoing was that I had to put up an antenna to get local network channels in HD, and once I did that I found the free over-the-air stations much better quality & was 90% of my TV viewing.

Arnie, if you're in Houston proper you can probably get at least half a dozen high quality HD stations free with a $30 Terk indoor antenna from Radio Shack. A lot of folks think it's "old fashioned" to watch TV with "rabbit ears", but having tried both cable & Dish HD, the free OTA is the best quality - just no ESPN HD or HD Movie Net.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I am getting the Dish on Saturday. I decided to stop buying HDM and just do movie channels & try out movies on demand.

Since Warner is no longer doing HD DVD I'm going to stop buying discs. I only watch most of them one time anyway. This strategy should save me a lot of $.

Cochise, thanks for the info. I do have a HD antenna & get about 7 local HD channels in great quality. I just want the satellite for movies
Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM

dtv currently has the best lineup in HD. dish net will try to be catching up this year but with dtv throwing another sat up, i doubt dish can match.

dtv also has MORE hd channels currently compared to dish (if you dont count regional and the voom channels).

check out the lineup before you pick which one to goto.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM

what is dtv? direct tv?