Blu-Ray ads on Universal High Def channel??!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Exclamation Blu-Ray ads on Universal High Def channel??!!

I hope I am in the right forum here.
I was watching the Universal High Def channel and I kept seeing all these darn commercials for blu-ray?!
Anyone know what is up with this? Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot here.
I also want to know what's up with this idiot in one ad that says something to the effect, I have friends who own HD-DVD and blu-ray blows it out of the water. What in the world is Universal doing???!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
I was watching the Universal High Def channel and I kept seeing all these darn commercials for blu-ray?!
Anyone know what is up with this? Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot here.
I also want to know what's up with this idiot in one ad that says something to the effect, I have friends who own HD-DVD and blu-ray blows it out of the water. What in the world is Universal doing???!!!!
Well the BDA is paying for the commercials, and Universal is just airing it. I dont think you can discriminate against who you allow to buy TV advert time.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkie View Post
Well the BDA is paying for the commercials, and Universal is just airing it. I dont think you can discriminate against who you allow to buy TV advert time.
exactly! No different than DirectTV commercials airing on Comcast Cable.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
It's called business !
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Can't Universal take some kinda of action over the whole HD-DVD vs Bluray statement in the ad... surely it's false advertising as they're the same thing on different formats except HD-DVD executes it better :lol:
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM

I saw a HD DVD add on Fox... oh no!!! LOL
Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Yup the cost of business, guess not enough people watch Universal HD.

Still kind of odd though, as the programing was "brought to me" by Toshiba HDDVD, then immediately after that I get 2 blu-ray ads. These are ads for both the players and movies. These ads are just none stop, they are still going on today as well.

Still this would be taking away sales from Universal, if one has a blu-ray player how can they buy Universal HD-DVDs?? Universal in a sense, along with Toshiba is the face of HD-DVD, as where Fox just primarily sells Blu-Rays.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:01 PM

yea saw it last night, thought it was kind of funny but its not odd. CNN advertises on Fox News Channel
Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd1 View Post
It's called business !
so universal couldnt get any other companies to advertise? seems odd to me
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM

I'm sure they can but, the BDA probably paid good money for those spots so why turn down that money. UHD just wants to make money and the BDA's cash is just as good as the next guys.