Are the best days regarding HDTV pq already over? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Are the best days regarding HDTV pq already over?

They just might be if you believe a recent editorial by "The Whip" at tvpredictions.com. What an incredibly depressing thought. He states that not only are cable companies and DBS providers, of course, using compression techniques that ruin HD pq, but that even the hd stations themselves are sending out their own signals in compromised fashion--sometimes as half the bit-rate that the signal could be sent at. This is just the saddest thing. I mean I already notice pixelization ALL the time on my cable's ESPN2 channel, and it definitely seems to be getting worse. Just hard to believe that because of good old greed and economic bullshit that we may never get anywhere close to the hdtv quality we should on our expensive tv setups. This just plain sucks worse than anything ever!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:22 PM

I think channels need to pride themselves on their HD stuff. Look at discovery HD, never once have I turned on that station and had a bad picture. No pixelization whatsoever. I tried watching Spider-Man on TBSHD yesterday and what a joke!!! I think Discovery may tell cable companies they can't compress it or something cuz it always looks pristine. It's an example for all HD channels to follow.