Why History HD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Why History HD?

This channel and only this channel, most of the shows they run (or at least the ones I happen to tune into) are letterboxed on the HD channel and thus distort the picture? WTF are they thinking?

and no, I can't just zoom in because for whatever reason my TV decides to disable that feature for Digital feeds. I can switch to 4:3 mode though, but I wind up with the exact same image I'd get with the SD channel, so that kind of defeats the purpose of having the HD channel.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM

When a show airs that was truly filmed in HD, they run it and it will look fine. But, yes, otherwise it's annoying.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM

It seems to be the opposite. They were running a Titanic show of some kind over the weekend that was obviously in HD as it looked incredible, but it was in the wrong aspect ratio. The Modern Marvels episode that was on right before this one was an older episode (so presumably not filmed in HD) and it had the right aspect ratio, but the episode I took the pics for was an episode made earlier this year.

In any case, filmed in HD or not, it should be displayed in the correct aspect ratio.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM

I agree man, I love the History Channel. The History Channel HD should be just like The Food Network HD and HGTV HD. Every show on both of those channels are in HD and look amazing.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 AM

I've noticed this on Dish Network too. And A&E HD is the same way. The new episode of The First 48 last week was broadcast in HD, non-letterboxed in 16:9. But this week's episode, although still HD, was in letterboxed 4:3, stretched to 16:9. I don't mind so much that they stretch shows that are originally in fullscreen 4:3 to 16:9, but if a show's in 16:9 already, it should be broadcast as such, especially if it's in HD. I noticed a few month ago before I got HD that they had started moving their lower-thirds titles off of the letterbox area and onto the actual image area, but for some reason they're still letter boxing them.