Anyone have Directv HD ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Anyone have Directv HD ?

If anyone does could you let me know how it is and what the cost is both monthly for it and for the equipment ?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
If anyone does could you let me know how it is and what the cost is both monthly for it and for the equipment ?
Yes, I've had it since fall of 2004. I bought two HR10-250's at the time with upgraded hard drives from Weaknees.com so I could store more HD programming. Right now, I would wait until the replacement for the HR10-250 is available unless it already is and I didn't know it. Not sure of the current costs but you can quickly find out from DirecTV or a site like Weaknees. I think I pay an extra $10 per month for the HD channels from DirecTV but there are not too many. Most of the HD programming we watch comes from OTA programming by NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. I went with DirecTV for the NFL package.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have the HR-20:
$299 for HD DVR (typically)
or
$100 for HD Receiver (non-DVR version)
+$6 for DVR service
+$10 for HD programming
and if this is your second box, it'll be another $5.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I have a HR20 with 5 LNB dish and pretty - occassional it lockups - but not whle navigating movies.

Today it seem to lockup because a spam call came in why I was in the guide. Not sure it is reproducable.

I am happy with output on Sony 46, its not 1080p like my Blu-Ray but still looks pretty good - a 1080i movie looks similar to my HD DVD output.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
I have a HR20 with 5 LNB dish and pretty - occassional it lockups - but not whle navigating movies.

Today it seem to lockup because a spam call came in why I was in the guide. Not sure it is reproducable.

I am happy with output on Sony 46, its not 1080p like my Blu-Ray but still looks pretty good - a 1080i movie looks similar to my HD DVD output.
I've yet to see ANYTHING on any of DirecTVs HD channels that has anything comparable to what my A1 can produce. Some channels are good, but not the even close to my player.

The last couple of days I've had a couple of lockups as well while switching between DVR and the listing....kind of weird.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I've yet to see ANYTHING on any of DirecTVs HD channels that has anything comparable to what my A1 can produce. Some channels are good, but not the even close to my player.

The last couple of days I've had a couple of lockups as well while switching between DVR and the listing....kind of weird.
I totally agree with what you're saying in regards to DirecTV vs. Toshiba's line of players. My HD-A2 looks much better than any of my DirecTV HD channels. It's because DirecTV uses compressed MPEG-2 codecs for their broadcasts and MPEG-4 for their local HD broadcasts. I prefer VC-1 codec above all, but they don't use this.

Word for the warning, don't buy the HR20 (i.e. HD DVR) from DirecTV, it is a total piece of crap. I'm a member on another site for satellites and there are total thread sections dedicated to complaints about the HR20. It is literally the poison that has injected itself in DirecTV's previous stellar history. Take this from me, a DirecTV customer since October 2002 and "A list customer'', I wouldn't touch the HR20 with a 10 ft pole. I am a loyal Tivo fan and only use my previous purchased boxes (HR10-250s). Since DirecTV has done away with Tivo and its terrific software, customer complaints have reached an all time high. DirecTV has tried to corner the market by manufacturing their own hardware and software and is failing miserably. As mentioned, I have been with them for over 4 years now and my bill is $150/month and I am seriously considering leaving them.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM

The HR20 isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I've had one since it became available and, while the unit certainly has its quirks, DirecTV has been doing a very good job releasing software updates. They've even added PC media streaming capability (sadly it doesn't quite work with OS X yet).
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 AM

I know its just a feeling, but that is what I feel. Maybe a lot of this is because of Sony XBR2 - it even makes SD look good. I should try DirecTV HD on my projector and compare it to other HD devices on the Projector.

I completely understand under severe weather situations, DirecTV HD will likely not be good. Don't know yet - I have it for less than a month and yet ran into the weather situation with it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
The HR20 isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I've had one since it became available and, while the unit certainly has its quirks, DirecTV has been doing a very good job releasing software updates. They've even added PC media streaming capability (sadly it doesn't quite work with OS X yet).
Do the updates automatically occur through the phone line or do you have to go through the menu and check for an update?

Also, another thing I've noticed is that when I switch inputs on my television (Philips 50" plasma) even if my satellite receiver hasn't been turned on, at times I can see a ghost image of my DVR menu in the background. I don't know if this is the satellite creating this issue or if it's my HDMI inputs on my TV. It's very weird though. Let me add that it is not burn-in because it does go away once I do other things.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Do the updates automatically occur through the phone line or do you have to go through the menu and check for an update?
They come in over the satellite feed automatically -- there is no need to have a phone line connected unless you're going to purchase PPV.