What networks use MPEG 4 ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 PM

Question What networks use MPEG 4 ?

Are there and networks that use MPEG 4 to broadcast ? It bugs me that when there are fast pans on NBC's Tonight Show and Latenight with Conan I get boxes. Perhaps this is caused by additional compression from NBC but I was just curoius.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
Are there and networks that use MPEG 4 to broadcast ? It bugs me that when there are fast pans on NBC's Tonight Show and Latenight with Conan I get boxes. Perhaps this is caused by additional compression from NBC but I was just curoius.

Thanks in advance.
My impression that it is not so much the choice of the network, but rather of the provider. For example Directv several months ago upgraded all of their hardware to use MPEG4 to decode their hi-def channels (at the same time, they launched a new satellite for that purpose as well).

I actually use Comcast (for various reasons -mainly I wanted local channels in hi-def and they did not offer this at the time, though I will probably switch back to Directv eventually since they now do). A number of months ago it was clear they did some updates over the cable, I am not sure what, but many of the channels now seem clearer than before - though there also seem to be more audio glitches than before, as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 AM

direct tv is release a firmware update to correct the problem, i honestly dont think its a compression issue, just the way the box reads it.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM

I got DirecTV HD DVR installed about 2 weeks ago and I my setup fullly supports MPEG4 and they supposely will be tripling the HD channels in the near future.

If you go DirecTV make sure you get the 5 LNB dish to support all the stations - supposely 150 HD channels.

Local Channels work fine HD - watch 24 last week in 1080i
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM

My wife is sick of my complaining about Comcast with thier crap DVR boxes and overly compressed HDTV signals. In order for me to switch to Sat I would have to be convinced that the box was better, menus ect included, and the picture was better. Such as not having it compressed to high heaven. I guess I just dont see how they can have all those channels without compressing them when Comcast has a solid copper cable and cant/won't do it. I also dont feel like getting another LBN every six months. How many do you need now ? 5 ?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

The provider will compress a channel more if they need extra bandwidth on a different channel (since they pass all the channels at once). They may move bandwidth from a talk-show to a sporting event, for example.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah, perhaps this problem will go away when they change over to switched digital.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Here in tucson our Cox has gone completely fiber optic FINALLY. HD looks pretty good here, better than what I have seen on our directv here. But the thing is our directv and cable is further behind then most other places... because the demand isnt nearly as high for hd then it is everywhere else :-(. But with the new fiber optic, they have also raised their prices too. I work closely with a cox rep at my work and she was saying they will be getting more hd channels by the end of the year. I imagine they are going to to try and keep up with Directv.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm convinced Cablevision by me uses MPEG S for their HD channels (S meaning shit). The picture is usually somewhat acceptable (with some artifacts here and there), but the audio dropouts are becoming much more frequent. But then again satellite has even less bandwidth so what's the point of switching to that. It may just be that I live in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
My wife is sick of my complaining about Comcast with thier crap DVR boxes and overly compressed HDTV signals. In order for me to switch to Sat I would have to be convinced that the box was better, menus ect included, and the picture was better. Such as not having it compressed to high heaven.
It's not better. All of DirecTV's HD that's 1080i is HD-Lite, meaning the res. is 1280x1080i. Dish isn't much better though. It use to be with Dish all five channels of their original HD channel package were full 1080i res. but now one or both HDNet channels have been downgraded to 1440x1080i. I'm hoping when more people adopt one or both of the HD disc formats they'll see how shitty they've been getting it and rip into their Sat company, Cable company, whoever they have.