Stranger Things, with Winona Ryder - Netflix's version of Super 8?!? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Default Stranger Things, with Winona Ryder - Netflix's version of Super 8?!?

When I saw the trailer to Stranger Things, I didn't have much confidence that this would be very good. Boy was I wrong. Last night, I just finished the 8-episode first season of the series. First, this film is set in the early 1980s, 1983 to be exact, before everyone had (and was married to their) cell phones.

I hate the fact that Winona Ryder has lost her chance to stay a big star after that shoplifting incident so many years ago, and I think her tiny, minuscule cameo in Black Swan was just another slap in the face. Was her career ruined by bad acting as she grew older, or was it because Hollywood basically shunned her? To start, I'll say that I thought she was excellent in Beetlejuice and Alien: Resurrection. In Stranger Things, she takes on the role of Joyce Beyers, a single mother of two children, one of which is an anti-social weirdo, Johnathan, the other, a younger nerd named Will that loves playing dungeons and dragons with his friends.

During the series, we learn that Joyce has had anxiety problems in the past. This probably makes her a little more crazy than usual. When Will gets lost or abducted, just how crazy and convincing can Winona Ryder pull off her character? To me, she makes an excellent worried, batshit crazy mother. You can't really get much more batshit crazy than she gets in the series.

Without giving away too much, I just wanted to say that I loved season one. I think it felt more like a long movie than it did a TV show. In fact, I'm not the only one. As I finished up the season last night, I saw that Netflix viewers had so far given the series a full 5-star rating, and according to several reports, Netflix has almost come to a decision to order a second season.

So, what did everyone else think of this series? Should Stranger Things be renewed for a second season? My personal opinion is that they already have something good, and if they do a second season, I fear that it could ruin the series.